Ex-Marine made a difference in Iraq, now turns to leading kids by example

By Britt Carson
staff writer

Tony Rizzo is not the least bit intimidated by a school full of freshmen. In fact, compared to the past few years, he might even say his first teaching job at the Neuqua Valley High School freshman center is fun.

As students in Indian Prairie District 204 headed back to school Monday, Rizzo was among 54 new teachers spread between the main campus and freshman center at Neuqua Valley. At age 29, he has bachelor's and master's degrees along with several years in the Marines under his belt.

The Schaumburg native was attending North Central College in 2001 when terrorists flew planes into the World Trade Center in New York.

"My friends and I were sitting around talking about what we should do and I thought, I am actually going to do it," said Rizzo, who then enlisted. "I thought, I'm young, I might as well."

In December 2001, he handed his parents his enlistment papers and told them he was leaving for basic training in a week.

"They were surprised, but they understood why I did it," he said.

Three Purple Hearts

Rizzo was a scout sniper and was sent to Iraq in December 2003. He served until June 2004, when he was wounded, and he eventually received a medical discharge in August of that year. Although he does not walk with a limp, his ankles bear scars of a serious injury during his time in Iraq. He was honored with three Purple Hearts for his service.

"One of my ankles is fused together at the heel," said Rizzo, who held the rank of corporal when he was discharged. "The other ankle has plates and screws in it. I do have some limitations on what I can do."

He has had six surgeries since he was discharged and as recently as four months ago was in a wheelchair recuperating. Doctors have said an ankle replacement is on the horizon for Rizzo, but for now he is helping coach the cross country and wrestling teams at Neuqua.

'Trying to be a role model'

At North Central, Rizzo was captain of two national championship cross country teams and one national champion track squad. He earned 11 All-America honors, tying a school record. He holds the Cardinals record for the indoor 1,500 meters and as part of the outdoor 3,200-meter relay. He also is fourth on the school's all-time list in the 800 meters.

Rizzo is happy to be able to coach.

"I know a lot about athletics and the education that takes place, both in the classroom and in the sport," he said. "Athletics was a big part of my life and I had great coaches. I love dealing with athletes and coaching."

Although he wasn't sure what he wanted to be when he first started college, after his time in the military he had no doubt he wanted to be a teacher.

"I really want to make a difference," he said. "I had a lot of teachers in my life that I didn't like and I looked at why. I am trying to make a connection and be a role model."

He still sports his military buzz cut and said he has no problem with classroom management. He doesn't brag about his Purple Hearts, but he does expect his military background will come up during the course of the school year.

'A big softy' at home

Rizzo lives with his wife, Jannette, and their baby daughter, Codi, in Geneva, though the family is building a house just outside Yorkville. Jannette Rizzo is a teacher at Kennedy Junior High in Naperville District 203 and has seen him through his ups and downs.

"She has been there through thick and thin," he said.

However, this year only one teacher in the family went back to school. Jannette Rizzo is on maternity leave caring for Codi at home.

"I was out playing macho Marine for a while and then she came along and now I am a big softy," Rizzo said. "I never thought it would happen, but I love it."

- Contact Britt Carson at bcarson@scn1.com or 630-416-5269.
08/29/06

Ellie