Navy to Marines
Create Post

Thread: Navy to Marines

Question Navy to Marines

I'm currently an AEAN (one of the E-3 varients) in the Navy and have made the decision that I will not be reenlisting in the Navy, but rather I want to enlist in the Marines. I've actually been wanting to be a Marine since Navy bootcamp. In "A" School, I hung out with Marines much much more than my fellow Sailors, and the Marines all asked me why I didn't just join the Marines in the first place. They ended up calling me Devil Squid. It's the brotherhood and comradery that the Marines have that I have been craving. That led to my ultimate decision. I did my research, and about.************* made it seem like it was next to impossible to enlist since I am prior service. Worse yet, the recruiter here won't talk to me because I still have 1 year and 10 months of my enlistment left. I need details like what are the chances the Marines will accept me? Also, all I really want to be is Marine security or just a grunt even, but my AE (which is Aviation Electrician's Mate) rating directly converts to a Marine MOS (thus me being able to hang out with the Marines). I don't want to be an AE anymore, just a grunt or something similar. Will they allow me to select a job other than my current one? Any details about transferring to the Marines will be greatly appreciated.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Your a squid wanting to be a Marine stationed on a air force base. Who came up with this plan?

You may have to wait close to your enlistment with the navy is over to join the Marines. You will have to contact a recruiter and then go from there. You will have to go to Marine boot camp if accepted. Check into inter service transfers. You may need to speak to a prior service recruiter. Hind sight is 20/20 but you should have went Marine!

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. You wouldn't happen to know if they would push for me to remain as an AE (under the Marine MOS of course) or if they would allow me to be a grunt or something similar if I really wanted?

Have you ever thought about being a corpsman?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up Devil Squid,

You will need to go to a prior service recruiter. I think you will have to go within 90 days of your EAS to get this done. As far as MOS, you will have to go through most of the process, ASVAB, physical, OH Yeah baby. And best of all recruit training. I am hoping for Parris Island but you will probably go through San Diego because you are in Oklahoma.

You are not the first U S Sailor to do this and I would welcome you with open arms as you complete your recruit traing and acheive the coveted Eagle, Globe, and Anchor.

Yup, Sergeant Major Gilbert Johnson (Camp Johnson at Camp Lejeune was named after him). He served in the Army; and was discharged as a Corporal. Then joined the Navy for 10 years, then joined the Marine Corps as a Private. Finally he made through Sergeant Major, and was the first African-American Sergeant Major in the Marine Corps. He was amazing!!!!

I considered Corpsmen for a while, but I heard that it\'s tough to get advanced in that rate due to so many of them all trying to gain rank. I can\'t wait to go to Marine boot camp. Either Parris Island or San Diego would be a great experience. Navy boot camp was embarrassingly easy. Even if I didn\'t have to go back to boot camp, I would have requested to go. I\'ve seen some videos from Marine boot camp, and it looks pretty intense.

Devil, I'm near Tinker just about every day. Hope you're enjoying your stay in God's Country. You will have a PM from me with some information that may help in your specific situation.

https://www.facebook.com/MarineCorpsNavyDualVeterans?ref=hl new Facebook page for all other "Devil Squids"

Thread Information