Fire Support Man/Forward Observer MOS Question(s)
Create Post

Fire Support Man/Forward Observer MOS Question(s)

I have signed for my MOS to be 0861-Artillery-Fire Support Man, and I just had a few questions for any of you Marines that were 0861 or were around 0861's. I spoke to a Major that is now with RSS but used to be with Artillery and he gave me some wise words but still, just wanting to ask around.

1)What will be expected at Ft.Still?
    2)Is this field an exciting one? I understand every job in the Marine Corps is essential to the Corps, but I am wondering whether this one will have some excitement.
    3)Did you enjoy the Artillery field?
    4)Any other words of wisdom are appreciated.

Hi, I just finished the Fire Support Man course in August 2006. It is a good course, and one that you will be glad you signed up for.

Quote Originally Posted by JReid
    1)What will be expected at Ft.Still?
    Aside from the school, you will be required to pass a 200 PFT score, or else you will have more limited liberty and have to PT 6 days a week instead of 3. You will have a curfew. It was 9:45 on school nights and 11:45 on Friday and Saturday nights. You will have to field day on Wednesday evenings, so you might not get liberty on Wednesdays.

As for the school, you are expected to pass all the written tests and 3 live fires. Ample instruction is given, so don't worry. A lot of people do fail this school, but really it's not that hard. Make sure you focus on land navigation. That is a big part of being a scout observer. You need to be very good at reading/using maps and compasses.

2)Is this field an exciting one? I understand every job in the Marine Corps is essential to the Corps, but I am wondering whether this one will have some excitement.
    Depending on what unit you are assigned to, you will be able to call for fire from 155 Howitzers, 5" Naval guns, or if you get assigned to an ANGLICO unit (which is likely if you are active duty), you will call for air strikes. ANGLICO used to be under special forces, are not now, but are trying to get back under it as I understand. ANGLICO is where it's at as far as action in the Artillery MOS's. You can get jumps wings, go to pathfinders school, SEAR school, and more. All the fire you can call for is of the most powerful fire available on Earth. Not much can stand up to 155 Howitzer fire, and Naval gunfire is very exciting to watch. Then there's the A10 Warthog. Man if you get to see one of those in action... wow.

3)Did you enjoy the Artillery field?
    If I had to do this over again, I would choose the same MOS. I would consider something more difficult/harder technically if I didn't already have a good civilian job, but I have a good one so I didn't join for the education, I joined because it's something I should do, and I don't want to be in a desk all day.

4)Any other words of wisdom are appreciated.
    After Ft. Sill, you go to Coronado, CA (in San Diego), to learn to call for fire from Naval ships. This is a tough but fun class. It is tough because the PT is hard and they do not play games. You can lose liberty for the remainder of your stay there easily. At the same time, if your class does OK like mine did, you will have fleet liberty in San Diego, and it doesn't get much better than that. While the PT is hard, it is a lot of the times on the beach on the Ocean. How can you complain about that? Well maybe when you are puking

This is a good MOS. Everyone I know with this MOS is glad they have it, and you should be too.

Yes there are other good MOS's too.

And being a Marine is the best part. Remember, every Marine is a rifleman first.

Thread Information