Recruit Training Survival Tips - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

12-16 canteens a day....

It's possible....I did it...

Now what it is is damned unpleasant....

You have to hydrate that much when you go to PI from June to Sep...

Black Flag nearly every day...

Now what really sucks about that is....12-16 canteens go in....1 an hour

And we all know what goes in must come out....

That is the fun part....

Excellant advice Jinelson, i especially loved the "shut the hell up". My time in the reserves can never compare to the Marine Corps, but christ i can really identify with that. Some know it all's in every bunch just never do learn.

For example during a tactics course this summer we had one guy who kept correcting the nco's and adding his own "words of wisdom", what made it worse is that he frequently used examples to war movies... I felt sorry for the poor fella as the rest of the platoon inevitably isolated him and the nco's pretty much ignored him in the end.

The worst of it was when at the end of the week the chief of staff would be arriving to observe the progress of our platoon, and this guy was in my section.

Thankfully i was saved by the grace of god when my section IC decided to take us on a route march the night before the Chief of Staff was to arrive, and knowing this fella wasn't exactly at high pysical standards, he got an injury and had to be sent home that night before he could do any damage the next day.

I will never be so thankfull.

Anyways, a bit off topic but i had to share it.

One of the things that makes us the greatest fighting force in the world, is that we look out for each other. We take care of our fellow Marines! I remember helping a 'fat-body' make it through more than one 3-mile run. And my drill instructors noticed it. They would occaisionally mention things about helping the 'non-hackers.'
    On the flip side...I knew before boot camp how to assemble all the various marching pack combinations used by Marines. My dad was a career Marine. When we had classes on field packs, etc. I had all my gear squared away while the other recruits were struggling with their ponchos, shelter-halves, etc. And I just sat there all smug, because I already knew this stuff.
    Well, when my drill instructors saw this, they PT'd the livin' heck out of me!
    The message was simple...
    "How dare you NOT help a fellow Marine!" (I know, at the time it was 'recruit', not Marine.)
    drumcorpssnare

just sound the hell off, if your a guid or squad leader dont be an ******* but get the job done, dont be afraid to step up and try to take one of those positions.

dont be stupid, a little common sense goes along way. it feels like forever but goes by fast.

also IT only makes you better and 2nd phase easyer.

SPEMPER FI

PFC MOMAN

bball2

If you are alrady signed up and have a ship date then you do need to update your profile. (IE Recruiter Name, Phone#, etc) And as far as your attutude goe like one of my DI's would always say "You better Fix that Trash"-Sgt Jackson PLT 2085 Junior Hat. Other than that great advice SSgt. Wish I had someone that told me all of that when I went to boot camp lol. But what the hell that would have defeted all the purpose of the fun loving games our DI's would have us do lol.

Semper Fi!!

Those are some great and very accurate tips. I got a tip to add if you don't mind.

Something a recruit should NEVER do: Don't ever go behind your SDI's back. If you have a "complaint" about your DI hitting you or something and you want it to be known to his superiors, make sure you always tell your SDI first and only. Too many times I've seen recruits go behind the senior's back and go straight to the series commander with a complaint. Your senior will take that as a personal insult and your Plt will pay for it.

Just go to Boot Camp and shut your "Pie Hole". Listen and do whatever your Drill Instructor tells you. Never, never question what he tells you.
    A Marine "Ay-Ay Sir" and does it>

End

Even though its been said hundreds of times I'll say it again Keep your mouth shut. Our platoon payed for it all the time, even after lights one night. I dont know how hard it is not to talk. But this guide helped me get through it and recruit training isn't that bad, the time flies by. If you have any questions just PM me and I'll be glad to answer

Plt 3010
    Honor Platoon
    3rd Bn L Co
    SDI SSgt McCloskey (Sgt until Jan then was meritoriously promoted)
    DI Sgt Gamezrickli
    DI Sgt Johnson

Hello, Iwas Wondering Anyone Can Help Me With A Problem About Becoming A Marine?

If you fill out a profile we might...

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Tiger
    For example during a tactics course this summer we had one guy who kept correcting the nco's and adding his own "words of wisdom", what made it worse is that he frequently used examples to war movies... .

What the hell? I would just **** myself laughing if I heard some guy break in saying "-well hold on sir. That is a pretty good idea for an ammateur. Let me tell you something. Sure, you could have a man walking point real quiet, but that's not what Rambo would do..." going on to explain how charging with an M60 spraying is the proper way of doing it.

I talked to a Marine once who said during basic they had this "gamer" prick who thought playing Counter Strike made him 5 years ahead of everybody... early in he asked where they had to go to buy their weapons, how many he could carry, and frequently used the words n00b 1337 and pwn. Now I wasn't there but I can guarantee you some D.I. punched him in the teeth when he accidentally asked something about how many lives you get.

Is it true that reservist at RT get treated like crap?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Not any more or less than all the rest of the worthless pukes trying to become my brother.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jinelson
    Not any more or less than all the rest of the worthless pukes trying to become my brother.

Jim
    Staff Sgt, before I leave for the island, please say something like that to me, instead of "words of wisdom" or anything of that sort. I can't tell you exactly why, but what you just said motivated the hell out of me.

At least try to hold a billet and if you get it make sure to do your best so that you dont get fired from the billet .

Thread Information