Recruit Training Survival Tips - Page 12
Create Post
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by killerinstinct View Post
    STICKS and gimps gotta love em
    LMAO. This reminds me, I forget where it was at, but an NCO was leading a platoon of us and there was a broke dick at the back of formation falling behind. All of a sudden we hear "Hey sticks, you better start crutching at mach Jesus." I thought that was one of the funniest things I've heard in the Marine Corps to this date.

Last edited by RYDERKUR; 01-27-09 at 11:06 AM. Reason: We "hear" with our "ears"

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    Yeah, that one was very similar to the present Med Rehab Platoon. It was kind of funny to watch all the privates with leg injuries try to march in step while on crutches.
    Very true, just glad never ended in that lame a** platoon.

I talked to a recruiter from the same station as mine and I was telling him how my wisdom teeth (well tooth, only one) were killing me and he said I could have them taken out down at Parris Island. Just wondering, does anyone here know the recovery time on getting teeth pulled? I'm afraid if it's longer than 3 days I might get dropped, but I don't really see how it could be longer than 3 days.

21 more days!!

If it's a wisdom tooth I would say forget it. I had all four of mine taken out, took me a week to "fully" recover. Though you're only really knocked out/drugged up for the first two days. Eating is impossible. I cannot see how you could go through bootcamp with that pain plus the pain of not eating and working out. Good luck though!

Well they do pull teeth in boot camp. So hopefully it doesn't happen to you. I didn't get mine pulled but several other guys in my platoon did. Usually they do all that during team week. You'll be bed rest for a couple days then light duty for a couple more days. All I can say is it looks like it sucks big time- especially in boot camp. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinR90 View Post
    Well they do pull teeth in boot camp. So hopefully it doesn't happen to you. I didn't get mine pulled but several other guys in my platoon did. Usually they do all that during team week. You'll be bed rest for a couple days then light duty for a couple more days. All I can say is it looks like it sucks big time- especially in boot camp. Hopefully it doesn't happen to you.
    I got mine pulled in boot. They didn't pull mine during Team Week, it was on like T-2 or T-3. Wasn't too fun

I got my two bottom ones pulled on team week. Its not too bad. I recommend getting them pulled first though, before you go. What happened to me is I had one day of bed rest, and I think two days of light duty. All you can eat is soft foods, like cottage cheese and jello. I hated it. Not because it hurt or anything like that, because I was stuck in the rack watching everyone else do stuff. I kept getting out though and help people clean and what not. One of my friends didn't get all of his tooth out, so he had to get tweezers and pull the rest out himself. I recommend if you can do it, get it pulled before you leave. No big deal if you don't though.

Well I really didn't want to get mine pulled before boot camp really cause they give you painkillers and I didn't wanna pop or anything during a test and get booted. At the same time though, I would have a legitimate excuse why I've showed up for something. Anyways, I don't know what it was but the tooth started coming through and while it was making it's way through it was hurting like terribly, now it doesn't even hurt one bit. The tooth isn't all the way through or anything, just it no longer hurts. My guess is it was hurting while trying to get through the gum. Just a thought though.

Im enlisting now,hopefully leaving for boot in September...I just have some Q's...
    I was told i would be the tallest/oldest female in boot (i will be 24) and ill get picked on by the DI's because Im prior service...
    Any advice...Im scared but excited...this would be a dream realized for me...having been raised by Uncle was a Recon Sniper in the Corps...thanks

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mpellie View Post
    Im enlisting now,hopefully leaving for boot in September...I just have some Q's...
    I was told i would be the tallest/oldest female in boot (i will be 24) and ill get picked on by the DI's because Im prior service...
    Any advice...Im scared but excited...this would be a dream realized for me...having been raised by Uncle was a Recon Sniper in the Corps...thanks
    Yeah, you probably will be picked on for all of the above. If you handle it like a grown-up, the worst will end after a short time. What was your prior service?

Also, your profile is a bit light on some details. You might want to fill it in a little more.

im sorry...im a little rusty on how to fix my profile...I served 6 years total in the Army,2 active and 4 guard...but im much more confident when i went to basic for the Army..back when i was 17, I fubar'd everything..my recruiter left me hanging...so I feel a lil more confident now that im in shape and know what to expect (to an extent)...does anyone know how Parris Island is (weather wise) in september?

As for the educational requirements to enlist in the United States Marine Corps, I believe that you must have either a High School Diploma or a G.E.D. with a certain amount of college credits (I think 15).

mpellie, I was there from Jan to april of 2008 and I am stationed at camp lejeune. it can be very hor and the sand fleas are realy bad. The Drill Instrutors will tell you to hyrdate all the time. you want to do that. try to stay as clean as you can and remember there is always an to things.

Okay...so they changed my ship date from September to March 23rd a lot closer than I expected...but Im good PT wise..not the best mind you but I can hold my own. Im scared like hell, but its been my dream to earn the title Marine...because anything worth having is worth working for...

its good to be scared. you will never forget this experenice. I did it at the age of 30. what is your mos?

Thread Information