Recruit Training Survival Tips - Page 10
Create Post
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Those tips at the beginning are extremely helpful. One or two of those things I wouldn't have even thought about. Thank you for those tips.

I have a huge tip that I haven't seen anywhere on this thread yet. Poolees, pay attention, because this is money.

Make friends with the platoon scribe. The scribe is the one who makes out the firewatch rosters. Me and the scribe became best friends....therefore, I almost never had firewatch.

If the scribe doesn't like you, you will have firewatch often. There was one kid in our platoon that got it literally every night for 13 weeks. And firewatch SUCKS, because it cuts into valuable sleep time.

First watch and last watch are the best. Most of our guys weren't asleep during the first hour of rack time, and if you get the last watch, you're already dressed and don't have to go through all the "put your right boot on...take your right boot off" games. And, for the love of God, DO NOT EVER go to sleep on firewatch. If you do and you're caught, your life will be a living hell.

Don't ever say "please" or "thank you".

If you have a girlfriend, break up with her. Your DI's WILL convince you that she is ****ing every guy in town. You'll be waking up at 4:30 on Saturday morning, and your senior DI will say something like "Man, Suzy probably hasn't even gone to bed yet". I didn't have a girlfriend while I was at PI, but a lot of guys did, and it really got to them.

ALWAYS lock your footlocker...nothing sucks worse than to come out of the head and see your **** thrown all over the squad bay.

Take a dump at night during free time. Don't try to take one during 30-second head calls during the day.

I used to think it was impossible to fit 4 people into a porto-potty. Not after Parris Island. You will be extremely close to a lot of peckers. Get rid of your homophobia.

Always stand up to speak to your DI's. If a class is being held in the squad bay and you're sitting down, stand up and at attention when speaking to any Marine.

Don't fall asleep during a class in the the RMF (I think that's what it's called). It's going to be hot and you're going to be tired. If you fall asleep, you will be called out by the Marine teaching the class. That's a real good way to pull firewatch. Also, drill instructors have a habit of sneaking in and sitting behind the platoon to watch and see who falls asleep.

Personally that sounds like a good idea, getting ahead and all. Although that one tip that said it could get you into trouble...
    I had a question in reference to that.
    If a recruit were to wake up...say 10 minutes before he's supposed to, and started making his bunk, would said recruit get into trouble?

Yes...don't get up until lights are called. You'll learn to sleep on top of your blanket instead of under it to minimize the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilDogJAL View Post
    Yes...don't get up until lights are called. You'll learn to sleep on top of your blanket instead of under it to minimize the mess.
    Alright, thank you.
    I do that already 'cause I like it cold

Question

I have a question about training not pertaining to boot camp. Im a poolee out of the missouri city office in Texas and i was wondering about SOI. My job is in Security Forces, and i would like to know if im going to MCT or ITB. I was told by my recruiter that i was most likely going to Infantry Training Battalion because my job is combat related. Can someone give me some definate input? and also would i still be considered a polg if im SF

Thanks for these tips Staff Sargeant jinelson this will really help me out once i get to Parris Island.

We could tell you everything we went through but to tell you the truth every DI is different, just go with the flow.

Thanks for all the tips on this thread, To be honest though, I really dont want to know more about recruit training other then what I already know, It will probibly make Boot Camp more fun if I dont know everything...
    I will get all the "little suprises" .

another thing about eating is... in my platoon we were only allowd to use one hand... and some dumb recruits would be worried about putting syrup on their pancakes or whatever... eat the **** you can get down...

Thanks a lot for the tips guys. I leave on January 20th for PI and I'm excited to go.

have fun ...!

Keep your damn mouth shut. Squad leaders and guides are all chumps for the most part. Leadership positions in boot camp and SOI/MCT are overrated. All it does is get you in trouble. If you want good leadership training, just watch your boot camp guide and squad leaders and watch what they do wrong. You learn from leaders by watching what they do and making damn sure you dont make those mistakes when your placed in to that position.

Anyways, if they dont know your name, boot camp is a breeze.

Credits
    Savings
    What is the firewatch guy for? Will he stop us while using the restroom during the night?? Also im June 15th and my recruiter says its hotter then hell so Im guessing no AC and sleep ontop of the sheets.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kash View Post
    What is the firewatch guy for? Will he stop us while using the restroom during the night?? Also im June 15th and my recruiter says its hotter then hell so Im guessing no AC and sleep ontop of the sheets.
    OK, I'm feeling better BigAl.

Let's break this down logically: "Firewatch": Someone who: #1 - Watches fires and makes sure they don't go out, OR #2 - Watches FOR fires AND sounds the alarm in the event a fire breaks out.

In the 21st Century boot camp, there is no need for Firewatch #1, so, let us go with Firewatch #2. At one point in history, the firewatch did both jobs in winter-time.

The firewatch is also a security watch, and no, they don't stop you from going pee-pee in the middle of the night. The proper term is "head" not "restroom."

Now is a good time to start learning these little snippets of knowledge - such as terminology.

Thread Information