Letter To Sgt Major Of The Usmc
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Exclamation Letter To Sgt Major Of The Usmc

LETTER TO SGT MAJOR OF THE USMC

----- Original Message -----
    To: DGreenlaw
    Sent: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 3:03 PM

Subject: LETTER TO SGT MAJOR OF THE USMC - I VERIFIED ITS AUTHENTICITY - TROY

SgtMajor John L. Estrada USMC
    SgtMajor of the Marine Corps
    Headquarters U.S. Marine Corps
    Washington, DC 20380-1775

Dear SgtMajor,

I normally dont write this type of letter, but Being Vietnam Era Former Marine Staff Sergeant I can not sit by and let happen what is happening at Camp Pendleton without saying something.

I am no Hero, I have no awards for bravery. I am just an old SNCO who took an unofficial oath to do all I could to protect the junior enlisted under my command. My claim to fame for my service in Vietnam is that I did all possible to bring them back alive. Sometimes I failed and that still stays with me.

My point, Sir, is that all SNCOs are supposed to be doing this. I laid my stripes on the line a few times to protect my troops and feel it is all our duties to do this. The higher the rank, the more responsibility. You Sir have the ultimate responsibility. You are the last line of defense for the enlisted Marines.

There are a group of Marines, and I include the Corpsman because he is as much a Marine as the rest, being held in solitary confinement in the brig
    without any formal charges being made. They are being questioned under conditions by the NCIS that would be condemned by all, if done to the people we are holding in Cuba.. These men have already been condemned by members of Congress, Murtha, and the press as well as a lot of liberal professors on our college campuses. Their ONLY comfort is in the fact that The Corps takes care of its own. What kind of message is being sent by their treatment? They have already been convicted by Murtha and the press and it appears that the Corps, through its treatment, has done the same.

I understand when the Commandant visited Pendleton recently their unit was told NOT to muster with the rest because there was a fear of an incident. SgtMaj, these are Marines. Do we have that little faith in their training that we have to do this? SgtMaj. You may have forgotten, but the enlisted Marines have an underground communications system second only to that of the Okinawan bar girls and you can be sure that this is being passed around. Can we really afford to lose any warriors because we do not stand up for them?

During the Vietnam War, an Army Lt, Lt Calley was accused of murdering an entire village but was held at House Arrest not solitary confinement in the brig. Do our young Marines not deserve the same consideration and treatment? If they are guilty they should be held to a high standard and the punishment more severe because they are Marines and expected to act better. But they have not been found guilty nor have they been formally charged or court-martialed and deserve the same treatment as accused murders, rapists and whatever.

I can't do anything about this, but SgtMaj as senior enlisted you can. Why is there no report of you doing so. Have we become so Politically Correct that we abandon our young Marines? What kind of message does this send to these young warriors the Corps so desperately needs to see how fellow warriors are treated for something not yet proven.

If this letter is unfair to you and the Commandant and I have erred in my judgment, I apologize, if not then SgtMaj you need to rethink about the traditions and roots you come from and either do something to aid these young men or offer your retirement to the Commandant and let someone who is willing to step forward and place themselves in front of the troops and fulfill one of the most important functions of a SNCO - Protect the enlisted Marines.

Respectfully and Semper Fi

Robert J. Pullease SSGT USMC (Fmr)
    187 Cinnamon Fern Lane
    Banner Elk, NC 28604

C O M M E N T S:

re: Letter to SgtMaj of the Marine Corps.

Fellow Marines and friends:

What's important is the content of the letter regarding the rights of our Marines in contrast to the recent outcries by our own homegrown anarchists regarding the rights and treatment afforded enemy combatants detained at Gitmo and elsewhere. For example: having a US attorney oversee Sadam's trial, an "innocent until proven guilty" rape/murder suspect in any USA city, or any degenerate who hallucinogenically claims to have allegedly been abused by his/her parent(s) and demands his/her rights to methadone and welfare; and, lastly, let's not forget the rights and treatment recently demanded by millions of illegal aliens. Why should our US Marines be any different, they are not second class citizens. More importantly, the author thought it important for every US Marine to voice his/her condemnation of this treatment of our Marines by other Marines "... or relinquish the motto Semper Fi." After 230 years of being "Always Faithful", we can't allow that to happen.

If the USMC argument supports a rational basis for pretrial confinement absent immediate right to counsel, absent charges being filed warranting confinement, absent speedy hearings or trials, and no bail, citing security and other concerns, then why do those same concerns NOT form a rational basis in similar situations in the civilian sector as previously decided by our US Supreme Court? In the civilian sector, similar concerns for the possibility of inciting retaliatory disturbances, flight risks, security of witnesses and evidence are pre-empted by several "settled laws of the land", stare decisis, US Constitutional mandates; and, only through aggressive and responsible judicial and law enforcement efforts are the above concerns kept reasonably secure. The USMC has similarly aggressive and responsible agencies available to safeguard any security or other concerns. Let's not forget that joint cooperation with the civilian sector has recently produced some extraordinarily successful outcomes. However, the notion that the USMC has laws/rules that fail to fully consider the constitutional protections of a person who swears an oath to uphold and protect the US Constitution, then dons a Marine Corps uniform and possibly dies in combat defending those same rights he/she has sworn to uphold and protect, but is not entitled to the same constitutional guarantees as civilians, enemy combatants, degenerates, deposed/captured dictators, rapists/murders, illegal aliens, is ludicrous and extremely troubling.

As a former LEO, I remember days when confinement of a suspect before completion of an investigation might have been helpful in saving lives. I remember days when a delay in providing a suspect with counsel pending an unfettered interview into an alleged crime or incident might have expeditiously determined his/her innocence, the actual perpetrator, and even saved lives. I remember days when denying a suspect bail might have saved time in tracking a fugitive down in some foreign Banana Republic or prevented homicides involving prospective witnesses, or suffered loss of or contamination of evidence. I remember days when denying suspects visits with friends, family and the media, might have denied them the ability to "taint" investigative efforts in determining guilt or innocence and saving lives. As I look back on those earlier days, I see many things that seemed to make more sense but for our US Constitutional mandates and the myriad of lawsuits that would have been generated by deviating from them.

I am confident the USMC, as well as other US uniformed armed forces, have for decades applied the UCMJ and other laws/rules in as professional a manner as possible in each and every circumstance. And, the current USMC approach to pre-trial detention and confinement in alleged criminal matters may have some merit. But, how does all this square with our current US Constitutional mandates? I guess one of the questions that may possibly be eventually decided by the US Supreme Court will be whether the UCMJ and other laws/rules rationally pre-empt the US Constitution in alleged criminal situations regarding our military service personnel during a time of War? And, equally important, does one lose any of his/her US Constitutional rights when they volunteer for military service?

Naturally, all Marines feel the outcome of all this is extremely important to the future security of our nation and the legions of former and active Marines who for the past 230 years have steadfastly and always faithfully supported each other and the "supreme law of the land." And, be assured that not everything is as you read or hear about it on the major news networks. And, be assured that former respected Marines and LEO's, some now attorneys, have come to the aid of these outstanding, brave, and "hunkered down" brother Marines.

USMC NCO's have always been the backbone of the Marine Corps. And, whether or not there there really is such a person as S/Sgt. Pullease (USMC Ret), we should all pick up on the below e-mail and aggressively voice our condemnation to the manner in which some of our Iraqi Marine warriors are being detained and treated by sending an e-mail to the Sgt. Major of the Marine Corps http://www.usmc.mil/sgtmaj/smmc14.nsf , Commandant of the USMC

In closing, as a former Marine Corps NCO and LEO, I have thrown my two cents into this worthy pursuit and hope every former and active Marines joins in with similar SEMPER FIDELIS expressions of condemnation. We will relinquish nothing, zero, nada, zip.

S/F Mike
    Gray Ghost

Terrific! This should be sent to every Marine in everyone's address book to voice condemnation of this treatment by Marines to Marines. Keep it going or relinquish the motto Semper Fi.

Last edited by thedrifter; 11-06-06 at 07:41 AM.

Pass the word Marines

What Took So Long For Ssgt To Send That? I Agree With Him 110%

Don't rely on ANY ONE to stick up for These Marines. I learned this on Camp Johnson by being guilty until proven guilty. The NJP could have lasted 30 seconds instead of the 45 minutes it did last. Everything was ready for me to sign and I stood a snowballs chance in hell for my innocents. I think that the LtCol was doing dirt with one of the accusers but I can't prove it yet. Needless to say that the accusers recanted thier statements until they found out that fasle accusations is a Courts Martial Offense. So they recanted the recanted statements and took NJP for it. Also there was one female Marine who was prior Air Force that accussed me and she was found later in the Brig for Prostitution on MCB Camp Lejeune. So in fact not only did my COC hide the NJP from me but accused my SNCO of helping me beat the system. I lost rank due to it all and every-one that went underhanded on this was SNCOs and Officers. Not one of my SNCOs were present and the MSgt in Charge lied to me and said he had a meeting to go to. When one of my Witnesses went back to the shop he was there playing video games of his computer and asked " Well Cpl, What does it look like for Mac"? In reply my Cpl told him that I don't stand a chance. It was only 20 minutes between the time he told me the lie and the time when my witnesses were back in the shop. He never left the shop to do anything. So if this is the trust that these other Marines expect then they are recieving it. There is NO ONE in thier COC with the balls to bring this evidence forward that the treatment is exactly like what the Papers and Liberals are complaining about in GITMO. There are very few SNCOs in the Corps any-more that are willing to risk thier asses for thier Marines. They say they are but when push comes to shove they buckle under like scared sheep running from the wolf pack. They would rather see the Marine go down, whether guilty or innocent, than to step up and defend them. I have seen these actions take place more than not in the time I have been in the Marine Corps. The Marine Corps Orders are for those that are not part of a Clique, Crew, Drinking Buddies, Old Boys Club, etc. Because the rules bend for those who are part of the last. I watched a SgtMaj get moved from MCB Camp Lejeune to Camp Johnson because he got Three DUIs in 4 months but yet he busted down every one else who got nailed for a DUI. Nothing happened to him but the charges getting swept under the rug. I watched as Senior SNCOs Head Hunted for rank on Certain Marines until they pushed the Marine to far and then Busted them for thier actions. But nothing was done to the Senior SNCO on any E/O complaint that was made or Request Mast. Those were dropped for reasons unknown. The Marine Corps has changed to an Every Man for themelves. Not the Marines take care of each other. That legend has died off somewhere and those of us that wish to still believe in it are prosicuted for the belief. I tried to instill every NCO Idea into my Junior Marines. I laid my head on the chopping many times for them. I took it upon myself to defend them from the abuse they were receiving from the hands of those Power hungry. I got nailed on Bogus charges and ran up the flag pole. I lost my Sgt Rank because of bogus accusations that were recanted and then recanted again for fear of a Courts Martial. For fear of these Marines doing what was right instead of doing whatever too get revenge. I know you all are saying that this sounds totally against Policy and that I may be disgruntled. But in all actuality I habor no bad feelings against these Marines. The Junior Marines knew no better than what they had seen and learned from those higher than myself. Sgts are treated like over paid LCpls and Cpls are treated like over paid PFCs. There is no real " NCO " leadership because those above that rank don't trust the judgement of the NCOs. It is all a power struggle. I couldn't believe what I walked into back in June 2005. I wanted to got to the School House to train Marines and got stuck behind a desk. I didn't mind because I was still helping Marines. Just on a differnet level. I was lied to by the Monitor...I was supposed to be a troop handler for six months then go to the Class room. Didn't happen. Then in under a year My COC tried to send me to some other unit even though I had everything on my contract stating otherwise. Camp Johnson is the most corrupt place I have been to in the Marine Corps. It digusted me to think of the Junior Marines going through there. Where those that are there to protect them have taken advantage of them in almost every way possible. Instructors having sex with students...getting brushed under the rug if it is the right instructor, Money being forced from the Students...as before, and other things that has gone on since before I showed up and after I left.

These marines won't get help from the SgtMaj of the Marine Corps because he is out for himself. They won't receive a fair trial either because some-one has to get the short end of the stick. The Commandant won't step up because he is just to busy for his Marines to bother with it. We as Marines know what the differnece is...Future Marines will be living only off the legends left behind. I can see it happening now. Chesty Puller was a Marine...the Commandant of the Marine Corps now is to worried about saving face than to interrupt the conditions that these Marines are in. He thinks this is just a business that he can run any damn way he pleases. I am surprised that the re-enlistment isn't lower then it is. But who is to say that the numbers coming out are the real numbers at all. There were real SgtMajs of the Marine Corps at one time. Now all we have is a Kiss-Ass trying to save face like the rest of them. I've met personally both the SgtMaj, Estrada, of the Marine Corps and the Commandant, Gen Hagee, of the Marine Corps. And all the words spouted from thier lips were lies. You know it's bad when these two are speaking and all the Marines leave, E-5 and below, the area and only Sailors are left to listen to thier BS campaign. Pray long and hard Marines for the Marine Corps to go back to the way it was where Marines did take care of Marines. Where no man or woman was left behind. Where no Marine who coincidered themselves leaders allowed injustiecs to take place without them fighting for thier Marines. Such a time hopefully will come again.

reply to junker316
    I see by your bio that you have been in the Marine Corps for longer than 4 years. Why??? when you have little to say in a positive vein about the dedicated NCO/SNCO's and they are around I don't recall you mentioning the charges for your NJB but most of them that I had to attend in defense of my junior men the witnesses were a mute point and as a NJB does not promise to be totally formal (ie: court martial) and it is usually very fast and the punishment is given is light. Were you guilty??? Theres not to much help an NCO/SNCO can give to the accused as they are not lawyers just fellow Marines that have attained a higher rank and their legal training is just as limited as yours. What I am trying to say is give the guys a break and since you are an E-5 again (I hope) remember you are one of the ones you are condemning.

Quote Originally Posted by iamcloudlander
    reply to junker316
    I see by your bio that you have been in the Marine Corps for longer than 4 years. Why??? when you have little to say in a positive vein about the dedicated NCO/SNCO's and they are around I don't recall you mentioning the charges for your NJB but most of them that I had to attend in defense of my junior men the witnesses were a mute point and as a NJB does not promise to be totally formal (ie: court martial) and it is usually very fast and the punishment is given is light. Were you guilty??? Theres not to much help an NCO/SNCO can give to the accused as they are not lawyers just fellow Marines that have attained a higher rank and their legal training is just as limited as yours. What I am trying to say is give the guys a break and since you are an E-5 again (I hope) remember you are one of the ones you are condemning.
    Not an E-5 again...unless I can prove that the Sexual Harassment case is total BS. I did speak to my SNCO, a SSgt, and she say the same thing. I wasn't guilty by far but they wanted to " set an example " and I was just there. Since I wasn't a part of the School house dedicated to training our Mairnes in certain schools but only a Temp, doing the errands and BS that no-one else wanted to do instead of the MOS I am trained in and the supposed reason I was there. These Fake Marines are just like the emeny I fought in Iraq...Can't tell friend from foe...only worse. These are the same people that want to get to the point where they have it all. It wouldn't have bothered me as much had I done what I was accused of. I am a man, first and for most, and willing to admit when I done wrong. I am harder on myself than any 10 Marine SNCOs combined. When I fail in my duties I am then therefore accountible for my failures. But when I am accused and with no proof of these accusations naile dto the wall then there is a huge problem. I watched as many of my brothers and sisters have been mistreated by higher ranks just because the higher ranking thought they rated it. These People are the ones that say " trust me...I'm here for you ". and then they stab you in the back like Ceaser was done. Thank GOD for some of the SNCOs I have had though. They are not all *******S. Now back to the point. The Entire NJP was Bias. There was no nuetral ground. There was only guilty to proven guilty. And I understand why your taking up for SNCOs...you are one. But maybe, just maybe, your not the type I am talking about. SSgt Phil was a damn good SNCO. But he got busted because of a comment about how one female was dressing in Civilian attire and corrected her on looking like a hooker while being a Marine. He was very professional about it and did what the USMC asks of him. Train Marines to be profient in thier MOS and to be Marines. He got busted down to Sgt because the WM had her feelings hurt that some-one noticed she looked like a hoochie as was called on it. He took very good care of his Marines and demanded that his NCOs did the same. He had 12 witnesses to state the nature and the being of the counceling he conducted and had two witnesses present that were there when he corrected her. But that didn't matter because he wasn't a part of the Good Ole Boy Club and the girl's father knew the SgtMaj. he lost rank...got 30 day sEPD and 30 days restriction...loss of 1/2 months pay for 2 months. The only witnesses the WM had was other students that were no where near the counceling or had taken part of the counceling. So brother get off your high horse of dreams about how the Marine Corps is ran. In the MCCSSS district of the Corps the rules bend for those privilleged enough and the rest get torched. Go to MCCSSS and see for yourself. Watch as the Marines that are permenant personnel there get hammered and the Combat Vets get ridiculed by thier higher ups. Yeah Brother I was told to my face by a Gunny that dodged all deployments that " I suppose I should be treated special because I did tours in Iraq" and that " just because I was there doesn't mean **** ". she didn't go because she whined to the SgtMaj that she was drinking buddies with that her childern needed her and she had nowhere to put them if she left. So instead they ****ed over a SSgt, the one that I respect alot and just got there, and sent her even though she had the same problems as this Gunny any damn way. yeah I am still ****ed about it but as I said I habor no ill intent on the Junior marines. Just the ones that know better but has been living it up while there are thousands of Marines dedicated to serving there Country going back and forth to the War Zones without a break because of these damn deployment cowards. My charges were bogus and if you read correctly they recanted all thier statement twice. Because of fear of Courts Martial for thier previous actions and one was or still is in the Brig for selling her ass to other Marines. Such **** would normally go as Logically as that these Marines were lying through thier teeth the first time around.

And I stayed in the Corps because I wanted to make sure that Marines were being treated fairly and justly like My MCAS New River Duty Station not like the Marines on Camp Johnson. I love the USMC for what it stands for but I am disgusted by the actions of Camp Johnson and others like it. So if all you can get out of what I wrote is that I hate SNCOs then you need reading glasses. And when you question why I stayed in the Corps so long just read the above. Just because some people smell like ape **** doesn't make them Tarzan but on Camp Johnson it makes them GOD.

Semper Fi Brother

yo

Female Marines, to my experience, have been problems. A higher % than that of male Marines.

Sounds like a shi^^$ case they had against you and your friend SSgt Phil.

I went to school in Camp Johnson a long time ago and I have to say I was sooooooooooooo glad to get out of that place. That version of the Marine Corps is not like the FMF.

The "problem" is that they don't make Marines the way they used to. I'm absolutely appalled at these goings-on. In my "era" of duty that spanned 8 years from private to Captain, these issues were NOT hidden in some closet; they simply did not exist ! I lament that the Old Corps has gone, not because our "gear" was better, because it wasn't. FAR from it. But our people certainly were better. O USMC, you have gone from ALWAYS FAITHFUL to MAYBE FAITHFUL....SOMETIMES. Too bad, so sad...

I guess it's really all about your unit. Upon my return from OIF 1, I scored my first DWI. Luckily it was 70 miles from base on a weekend and i didn't miss any formations. My Gunny was really ****ed and could have easily ran my ass up the flagpole, but he didn't. Instead, he put his ass on the line and kept the information to himself. I'm not saying this is the right thing to do if you've got 15 yrs. in and a family, but it was what he felt compelled to do knowing how "the system" works in garrison. I self referred myself to SARP and we both agreed that if anything came up I would act like I had never told anyone. As if that wasn't enough, when I did fck up again, he spoke for me at my NJP and I kept my rank and only lost pay for a short time. There are great SNCO's in the Corps, and there are sorry ones. But the same can be said about all ranks, because even at the lowest level we must look out for our own. I was fortunate to serve with Marines that lived and died for each other.

OORAH! It's about freakin time people started speaking out about the terrible things these MARINES are having to go through. They don't deserve to be the "EXAMPLE!" We MARINES need to stand up and next to them to let them know the "BROTHERHOOD" is just as strong as ever. Semper Fidelis MARINES.

[quote=MetalManiac]Female Marines, to my experience, have been problems. A higher % than that of male Marines.

Ssgt I have to disagree with your comment. I don't think it's fair that you group all Marines togther just because of the actions of a few females. I have known many good female Marines and their chti hot!!! Semper Fidelis.

Quote Originally Posted by CoffeeHead20
    The "problem" is that they don't make Marines the way they used to. I'm absolutely appalled at these goings-on. In my "era" of duty that spanned 8 years from private to Captain, these issues were NOT hidden in some closet; they simply did not exist ! I lament that the Old Corps has gone, not because our "gear" was better, because it wasn't. FAR from it. But our people certainly were better. O USMC, you have gone from ALWAYS FAITHFUL to MAYBE FAITHFUL....SOMETIMES. Too bad, so sad...
    I take offense at your statements above, you are wrong the young Marines are proving daily in Iraq and Afganistan.
    They are as good as "your era". When Vietnam started we were told the same thing "we weren't as good as the WWII
    Marines". I had some WWII & Korean War Marines in some of the units I was in. They thought we were just as good as they were.
    Yes the training has changed but these "new Era" Marines are as always and will be forever---MARINES--.Remember everything changes sometimes for the better sometimes for the worst nothing can change this.

Check back with me

Check back with me after the body bags are no longer being filled and final victory is secured in Afghanistan and Iraq, both having become peaceable democracies. Then I will gladly go to my stove and cook myself a dinner of crow. Because the purpose of combat is winning and nothing else.

I think thats bs . Marines are Marines. They have always been asked to perform the hardest duties, in the toughest assignments with the least gear or support. Young men and women now are still as tough , as smart , and as motivated to defend their country as ever. Just because nowadays "training" doesnt consist of getting the crap kicked out of you doesnt mean the Marines nowadays are pusses. Marines now have to be thinkers and have to be able to perform in a 3 block war. Effectively and with the CNN camera there at all times,

Thread Information