Boot Camp Observations - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    This is one of the most informative posts I've read thus far. I swear, I'll be going over this so much, I'll have it memorized by the time I get to MCRD. Thank you very much for the heads up.

PFC:

That is some REMARKABLE advice, Marine, heeding every peice of advice!

Motivated,

-Jon

Before I continue, I forgot something with the showers: make sure you remember where you put your ****. Personally, I would usually take one of the corners, and arrange my **** in such a way that I would be able to recognize it. You know know how many times I saw people that were unable to find their stuff.

11. The Gas Chamber. There's not much advice I can give you here besides practice holding your breath after doing 15 sidestraddle hops. The gas burns your face and your throat and eyes, but it goes away pretty quickly and really isn't that difficult to bear. Don't sweat it, and don't get freaked out by the pathetic weaklings who have to barge out of the chamber early..no discipline.

12. CWS 3 Qualification. Easy, but there is one annoying thing. After you do the first part, you are lined up in the pool for a pretty long time. After that, you have to survival stroke for a while. Now...you've been standing around in cold water for like..half an hour and now you're swimming. Can you say TIGHT muscles? Jesus I thought my legs were falling off or something. Make sure when you're standing in that line you keep your legs loose or it'll be a painful 50 meters.

13. Pulling Targets. Stuff can get hectic in the pits. It takes a little time to get used to it, too. But, if you and your partner organize who will do what job, it'll be really helpful. Also, there is a distinctive noise when a round goes through your target. You will be able to tell that it was your target without even looking. Not that you shouldn't look, you should always have your eyes on your target. The sound is louder than the other sounds around you, and you will hear it in BOTH ears, and it will usually kind of make your ears ring. It's different from the sounds to your right and left, because usually you only hear those in one of your ears.

14. Hydrate. All the time. And make sure you hydrate BEFORE you need water. For example, if you have PT in the morning, you'd better drink at least 2 cantenes the night before. Don't be like Recruit Art and go down 3 times with a temperature of 107 and get sent home. Be smart. They say to drink 12-14 cantenes a day...now, that's not really possible, but the minimum of 6 is definitely reachable. There's no reason you should go down due to lack of water.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Again, thank you so much for all the info sir. I'm sure I speak for all us poolees and wannabes when I say we appreciate your time and effort to give us the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeDevildog
    Again, thank you so much for all the info sir. I'm sure I speak for all us poolees and wannabes when I say we appreciate your time and effort to give us the heads up.

Took the words out of my mouth.

Great stuff, PFC!

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    PerXes-
    Your work is like a Layman's Bible for Boot Camp survival. Excellent! If you could somehow put everything into print with accompanying cartoons, illustrations or photos you'd have a very marketable publication on your hands.
    Would a sequel on Sh*tbirds be out of the question? LOL.
    Once again, terrific job.
    Gary

I'm a slow person that gets ready, and I believed that has helped me.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Im thinking that this thread deserves to be also added as a sticky thread in the Former Poolee Advice forum. This is best information of what lies ahead for Poolees written by one of our own who has just met the challenges. I thank you PerXes outstanding work Marine and thanks for taking the time on your recruit leave to pass it on to those who will follow you.

Welcome Home Marine

Welcome home MARINE.Hope you enjoy your leave.Don't do anything I would'nt do.That should keep you tied up awhile.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

but if you should....

Quote Originally Posted by David Jameson
    Welcome home MARINE.Hope you enjoy your leave.Don't do anything I would'nt do.That should keep you tied up awhile.
    be sure to name it after him

Quote Originally Posted by jinelson
    Im thinking that this thread deserves to be also added as a sticky thread in the Former Poolee Advice forum. This is best information of what lies ahead for Poolees written by one of our own who has just met the challenges. I thank you PerXes outstanding work Marine and thanks for taking the time on your recruit leave to pass it on to those who will follow you.
    I'd second that idea, as well.. SSgt! Good stuff, indeed!

MOTIVATED,

-Jon

Thanks for the info, i think this is going to be very helpful

It took me a while, but as promised, I've created a tutorial for three things: how to make a grunt(aka skivvy) roll, how to make a rack, and how to roll sleeves.

How to Make a Grunt Roll:
    You'll start off with your essentials: a pair of skivvy shorts, a skivvy shirt, and a pair of socks.

First thing you do, is lay out your shorts, and put your shirt on top.

Bam. Next, you lay your sucks like so:

Note the open ends of the socks are outboard.

Now, you roll it all up, so you have a tube with socks sticking out.
    Then, you take one sock, and fold it inside out OVER the tube:

Then, repeat for the other sock, and you have a grunt roll:

These babies are really handy for keeping everything you need for skivvies all together. I suggest making them as soon as you get them.

How to Roll Sleeves:
    This is tricky at first, so let me just say, the way to get good at rolling sleeves is to practice. Don't expect to be able to do this on your first try, it takes a little bit to get your sleeves tight. However, knowing this, your sleeves will most likely be 10 times better than the other recruits around you.

You start off with your blouse face down:

At this point, make sure everything is nice and flat. No bumps, humps, or wrinkles. Now, you stick your thumbs in the sides of the sleeve, and roll it inside out until the roll is as wide as the little section at the end. It'll look like this:

Now, you repeat that one more time, and you'll be here:

Thread Information