War protesters hope to increase numbers
By ANGELA K. BROWN
Associated Press Writer

Crawford, Texas (AP) -- Anti-war demonstrators said Sunday they hope the end of President Bush's ranch vacation doesn't hurt attendance at their protest during the rest of the summer.

They urged opponents of the war in Iraq to come to the five-acre campsite purchased last month by Cindy Sheehan, who resumed her protest a week ago.

Sheehan's first trek to Crawford one year ago during Bush's monthlong vacation turned into a 26-day vigil that drew more than 10,000 people and spurred counter-protests by Bush supporters.

A few hundred war opponents returned at Thanksgiving, when Bush was at his ranch, and again in April, the president's first Easter away from Crawford.

On Sunday, only about 100 protesters were camped on their land near downtown, about seven miles from the ranch.

Bush arrived at his ranch Aug. 3 and returned to Washington on Sunday as previously scheduled, his shortest summer vacation yet.

The president's schedule is not affected by the protesters' presence, White House spokesman David Almacy said Sunday. "Our soldiers are fighting in Iraq to provide the Iraqi people the very right that those in Crawford are exercising, which is the ability to peacefully express their views."

Sheehan, 49, returned to the camp for an interfaith service Sunday after being hospitalized for two nights for dehydration and a minor gynecological procedure.

"Even though George Bush isn't here, it's important still to get together and not just show him but show the world that there are Americans who want the violence in the Middle East to stop," she said.

Sheehan will rest for the next few days at the home of Willie Nelson and his wife, whom Sheehan has gotten to know during the past year, said her spokeswoman, Tiffany Burns.

Sheehan said she would attend rallies at "Camp Casey" next weekend and may visit briefly before then. The protest is to continue through Sept. 3 at the camp named for her oldest son, who was killed in Iraq in 2004.

Sheehan bought the land because county leaders banned roadside camping and parking last fall, and her original campsite was in ditches off the rural road leading to the ranch.

I guess her son's SGLI went towards the purchase of the land. If I were Casey (her son) I would be rolling over in my grave and be highly peed at 'ol "Mom."