Castro pic: Real Or Photoshop?
Create Post

Question Castro pic: Real Or Photoshop?

Castro pic: Real Or Photoshop? Photoshop.
    August 13, 2006
    by Bob Parks

That is the question….

According to the Associated Press, "This is one of four photographs published Sunday Aug. 13, 2006 by Cuba's Communist Youth newspaper's online edition Juventud Rebelde proporting to show The first photographs of Fidel Castro since his illness two weeks ago. Castro holds a copy of the Saturday Aug. 12, 2006 edition of Granma, the Communist Party newspaper. The headline reads "Absolved by history." The Associated Press cannot verify the authenticity or the date when these photographs were shot. (AP Photo/HO)"

I say Photoshop, only because the type and picture on the newspaper are way too sharp and easily readable to be an actual photograph's interpretation. The picture and text would/should be a little more out of focus. The dead giveaway is the text on the newspaper below the photograph of Castro. It is clearly more distinct than the more blurred paragraphs below. There is very little difference between in the lighting between the two sections and even though there is a slight fold, that wouldn't account for the contrast difference in the type.

This is not to say the contents on the page might not be real, but it has been partially enhanced and that is supposedly a violation of the rules. I would assume the standards of the Associated Press are higher than that, of say… Reuters. And kudos to the AP for noting that they had suspicions as well.

It's hard to to tell anymore..You can't trust what we see....

I do believe they want to get the message out that he is fine and well..

Ellie

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Today, Sunday, August 13, 2006 is Fidel Castro's 80th birthday. Don't forget to send him appropriate birthday wishes.
    I'm thinking that if the United States wasn't around, Castro would have died many, many years ago because he wouldn't have anything to complain about. LOL
    Have a great day, one and all, and just for general information, I passed this photo around to a group of Cubans and they spotted the clarity of print in the periodico (newspaper).
    Seems that the Fontman hit the nail on the head. This photo is a fake.
    Gary

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Enlarged about 350%

That white aura around the lettering is a big telltale of doctoring.

No, matter he still don't look too good!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I say photoshop too, but is AP entirely at fault for this one? The Cuban PR department (ha!) could have done it and AP is just running what was provided (AP is admitting an inability to verify everything in the photo - which is more than they have done in the past - the Reuter's Effect in action).

My wife, born and partially raised in Communist Cuba, is worried about the impending transition. As she says, Castro is an old man and he will die sooner or later, no getting away from it. Mi esposa worries about a violent transition and how it will affect her extended family, some of whom live in Havana, most further west in Banes (all immediate family is happily, and legally, here in the US).

She strongly doubts that a calm transition to Raul or some other form of government will take place and I'm inclined to agree with her. Raul is old too and there must be some young turks chomping at the bit to assume control over the Great Revolution, or wanting to dump the Old Bi*ch and try something more economically friendly.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    wanting to dump the Old Bi*ch and try something more economically friendly.
    LOL, I got a great visual of droves of Cubans trying to trade in their old rebuilt 55 Chevy's for a new Cadillac STS!

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing
    LOL, I got a great visual of droves of Cubans trying to trade in their old rebuilt 55 Chevy's for a new Cadillac STS!

Without a question, the biggest reason that I would like to go to Cuba is to see the 1950's again.

I wish the Cuban people well and will be glad when they can enjoy an economy that is sure to happen just as soon as the gate is open to their country.
    I'm first in line!

Thread Information