Unsupportive Family
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Unsupportive Family

Hey everybody. Well I swore-in yesterday. I had planned to go reserve, but if I want to be stationed with my husband the General said that I would have to go active. I had to make a pretty big decision in a matter of minutes. I chose to go active, and I chose an administration job so that I can pretty much be stationed anywhere. I feel good about my decision. I want to be a Marine, and being active is a good thing. Well, my mother-in-law was there when I got sworn in and I told her what had happened. When I was done and we were getting ready to leave, she gave me a hug and said "I don't know what to say." And I said "Congradulations?" and she said "I would say that but I don't agree with it." Then I drove four hours home, to get to my mother-who is very important to me and I am very close to, and she basically said that she doesn't support me at all. She said I should have taken that as God closing the door when I couldn't go reserve. I think that sometimes God shuts doors to open new ones. She doesn't think that my husband and I will get stationed together, and my marriage is just going to fail. She says I can't be a good wife and be full time active military.

I really think people should be proud when their family memebers join the military. Mine doesn't think that women belong in the military. This is very discouaraging, and I can't talk to my husband(who is in MCT training in San Diego right now and I know he will support me). So I'm just kind of discouraged at the moment.

Are there any Marines out there married....that can offer some advice, I know the rule is they have to be stationed within 50 miles of eachother, and I know on of the Marines mottos are "Take care of our own." Well...this post is long enough-thanks for reading it!!!

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

not a Marine....

But I was Married and my family didn't support it... unfortunately she turned out to be a nut job... but we didn't split due to our familys not agreeing... you just need to do what you know is right, despite what they tell you...they can't feel or sometimes see whats there between you and your husband... if you know you made the right descision then you did... and stand fast, don't let anyone tell you different

just my $.02

Joe

Do it for YOU.. no one else. Nothing more I can say.

Quote Originally Posted by ckkinders
    Hey everybody. Well I swore-in yesterday. I had planned to go reserve, but if I want to be stationed with my husband the General said that I would have to go active. I had to make a pretty big decision in a matter of minutes. I chose to go active, and I chose an administration job so that I can pretty much be stationed anywhere. I feel good about my decision. I want to be a Marine, and being active is a good thing. Well, my mother-in-law was there when I got sworn in and I told her what had happened. When I was done and we were getting ready to leave, she gave me a hug and said "I don't know what to say." And I said "Congradulations?" and she said "I would say that but I don't agree with it." Then I drove four hours home, to get to my mother-who is very important to me and I am very close to, and she basically said that she doesn't support me at all. She said I should have taken that as God closing the door when I couldn't go reserve. I think that sometimes God shuts doors to open new ones. She doesn't think that my husband and I will get stationed together, and my marriage is just going to fail. She says I can't be a good wife and be full time active military.

I really think people should be proud when their family memebers join the military. Mine doesn't think that women belong in the military. This is very discouaraging, and I can't talk to my husband(who is in MCT training in San Diego right now and I know he will support me). So I'm just kind of discouraged at the moment.

Are there any Marines out there married....that can offer some advice, I know the rule is they have to be stationed within 50 miles of eachother, and I know on of the Marines mottos are "Take care of our own." Well...this post is long enough-thanks for reading it!!!

Applause meter peaking out here future shepup !! CONGRATS..........

MGreen

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all for your support. I was just getting down because my mom has been crying all morning and telling me this was the wrong thing to do. I just need some sort of support before I start crying myself! Not because I think I did the wrong thing, but because I made my family so upset. Thanks again for all the Moto!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ckkinders
    Thank you all for your support. I was just getting down because my mom has been crying all morning and telling me this was the wrong thing to do. I just need some sort of support before I start crying myself! Not because I think I did the wrong thing, but because I made my family so upset. Thanks again for all the Moto!!!!
    For every tear, will be a wider grin, on the faces of your family at your Graduation.

Stay Motivated, Sister!

Motivated,

-Jon

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

well...

mom is crying because she doesn't want you to go away and not be able to see you as often as she does now... mothers are interesting creatures, they want to see their children become strong independant adults but at the same time they want to keep their babies... lol I'm 21 with 2 kids of my own and mom still trys to baby me.. it's a mom thing, she's human she wants things for herself like all people do... give her time to realise that while she may not agree with the choice you have made... it was YOUR choice to make, not hers... she needs your support through this as much as your hoping to have hers, it's not easy to see our babies grow and to realise that as they do they need us (as provider) less...

Either way best wishes to you AND your husband and I'm sure you'll make a good Marine

Joe

I'm Proud of you, don't worry Mom will come around once she see's how tall you've grown. And your Marriage will stand the test,it will take work on both of you,and so many have gone before you.So don't dispare,keep your head held high. Your choice was the Right One,in every respect..

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'm joining reserve infantry and my family is TOTALLY against it. Not just going infantry, but joining the military all together, ESPECIALLY the Marines. But after thinking about it, I just realized that the only reason they give me so much grief is because they care, and don't want me to come home in a box. Think about it...if your mom didn't care, she would have just said "Oh, okay good for you....Whatever" But she didn't because she cares. And I'll bet than the people that give you the most grief will be the first ones to point out to everyone they know that you are a US MARINE!!!!

Mom's cry...that's what we do...
    You do what you think is best for your marriage...anything else takes a back seat...even your Mom...just as I would expect Kaydra to do when she gets married...
    You can do this...and yes your marriage will survive, I figure if y'all ahve what it takes to become Marines, then the hard work of marriage will seem not so hard...

Good Luck and G-d bless ya both

When My Son Told Me He Was Signing Up In The Middle Of A War I Didn't Know How To React. I Was So Proud And Terrified At The Same Time. My Son Is An Outstanding Young Man But He Will Always Be My Little Boy And I Will Always Want To Protect Him

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all, I feel much better now, and I really do understand that I am not the only one that needs support. I was being selfish-I now realize that my family needs MY support in all of this, otherwise they never will understand and will always be upset. Thanks for being there for me when I needed some wise words everyone!!! I really appreciate it!!!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Hey don't mention it. That's what this site is all about. Especially with the poolees and wannabes, we're all here to educate, motivate, and support each other.

Thread Information