Roy Orbison
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roy Orbison

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The Big O was the most talented musician of our time. I was fortunate enough to have seen him perform several times just prior to his death. No histrionics, no smoke and mirrors, just pure talent. What a vocal range. As for writing talent, he took a classical piece and turned it into a pop hit. Ravel's " Bolero " into " Runnin' Scared ". And a nice guy. After every performance he would sign autographs until everyone was gone, no matter how long it took.

" Mystery Girl " and " King of Hearts " are his last releases, and are well worth finding.

Semper Fi

Deduke

Quote Originally Posted by Deduke
    The Big O was the most talented musician of our time. I was fortunate enough to have seen him perform several times just prior to his death. No histrionics, no smoke and mirrors, just pure talent. What a vocal range. As for writing talent, he took a classical piece and turned it into a pop hit. Ravel's " Bolero " into " Runnin' Scared ". And a nice guy. After every performance he would sign autographs until everyone was gone, no matter how long it took.

" Mystery Girl " and " King of Hearts " are his last releases, and are well worth finding.

Semper Fi

Deduke

Most excellent performer. Wasnt he the original "MAN IN BLACK!" before J. Cash though ???SF
    MG

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    He always performed in black, and always wore sunglasses. In the early 60's he was to perform for the queen of England. When he got off the plane in London, he forgot his regular glasses and had to wear his prescription sunglasses in order to see. It became his trademark.

Semper Fi

Deduke

Quote Originally Posted by Deduke
    The Big O was the most talented musician of our time.

Semper Fi

Deduke
    He's one of my all-time favorites.

I have always been a big fan of Roy Orbison. I regret that I never got to hear him sing in person. He was certainly blessed with a wonderful singing voice. "In Dreams" will always be my favorite song of his. Do any of you remember singer Gene Pitney from the 1960's? His biggest hit was "Town Without Pity". I saw him several times at his concerts. Sadly, he died April 5, 2006. Deduke, I see from your profile that you're from Kansas City, MO. I'll be flying there in Sept.

NC Gal, Gene Pitney was good, also. Not nearly as big in the business as Roy, but then, not many were. Another good Pitney song is "24 Hours From Tulsa". Roy Orbison's family, wife and children, were killed in a house fire. I don't know if this is why he wore black. Maybe another "old guy" knows why he dressed the way he did. He was huge in England, very inspirational to the Beatles. Carry on with the oldies.

Semper Fi!

Bob

At 55 y/o, I have and still enjoy his music.

Workz for me...

rsta, according to Roy's website and bio, his wife Claudette whom he married in 1957, was killed in 1966 in a motorcycle accident. He wrote a song after her, "Oh. Claudette". Two years later, 2 of his 3 children died in a house fire. On May 15, 1969, he remarried to Barbara Anne Marie Wilhonnen, a girl from Germany whom he met while in Germany.

http://royorbison.musiccitynetworks.com
    just using royorbison.com will get you into his website.

Cheers.....

More On Gene Pitney

Gene also was huge in Europe and Australia. That's why we never heard him on our radio stations. He was touring in England and Wales when he died. He did a concert in Wales. Afterwards, he went to his hotel room for a nap and was found later dead. Death was natural causes. He is survived by his wife, 3 sons, a daughter-in-law, and several siblings. So sad.
    I am a member of his fan club, but don't know if the fan club will continue.

When I was a young boy we moved to Odessa Tex and we lived across the street about 3 houses from where Roy Orbison lived. At the time he had a weekly tv show called the Teen Beat. He was almost kicked off because his bass fiddle player was acting to sexy--he wasn't. He was almost blind and that is why he always wore dark sun glasses. On his tv show he wore (black and white tv) always wore a short white shirt with the sleeves rolled up and levis,with cuffs. This was approximately 1957 or 1958.

NC Gal, thanks for the correct info. I knew his family had died and was thinking they were together when the fire came. I was shooting from the hip, I get a little forgetful when it comes to remembering.

Back in the fifties all teenagers wore Levis with cuffs, white "T" shirt with a pack of lucky rolled up on one sleeve and shades.

If you Marines enjoy oldie music, 1950's -1960's go to this website.
    (Maybe you have already seen this)

http://www.bobforrest.com/JukeBox.htm

Here's another link for juke box oldies for those who enjoy them.
    Roy Orbison is on these.

Patchy's Lost in the '50's Oldies JukeBox

http://dapatchy.com/oldies/

Thread Information