Disability Benefits
Create Post

Disability Benefits

Hey, question - what happens to a 100% service related disabled vets benefits if the vet passes away? Do the benefits continue for the spouse?

And, no the vet is not me!

are ya sure, did ya check today's obits????

Yep, the vet has not passed yet, and hopefully will not anytime soon. Its my father (Sgt USMC 1968-1976 3 tours), and I'm wondering if his benefits transfer over to my mom.

his wife will be eligble for DIC if aplied for with the VA. I am asomming he is getting it from the VA right? This is at a different rate of pay.

Jim, That just got me checking.My Dad is 100% also.I made a call to the American Legion they said that our Mothers would --NOT-get the comp check. I do think that they have other programs that she may intitled.They have a booklet called "Federal Benifits for Veterans and Dependents"that describes these programs.You can call the locale Veterans Affairs office and ask them to send you one or most VA clinics carry them . I will call dowtown as soon as I get off the net to comfirm what I just relayed to you .I don't like to pass scoop and was a little surprized myself.A ways good to get a confirmation

Thanks for the responses and the great information!

I know that he gets comp from the SSA, but I'm pretty sure he gets something from the VA too. He was discharged at 30% due to heart number 2 and then developed agent orange related diseases in the 90's which got him to 100%.

Hopefully I will not need the information too soon, however, better to know all the intell ahead of time!

Credits
    Savings
    She will not get the disability but if he was permanantly and totally (need to have VA say so) 100% she does qualify for Dependents Indemnity Compensation.
    Make sure (hopefully not soon) you also use VA cemetary benefits.
    Call 1 800 827 1000 with any questions.

Thread Information