A Warrior’s Dedication
Create Post

Thumbs up A Warrior’s Dedication

A Warrior’s Dedication

Fifteenth in a Series

By Matthew Dodd

"Seeing all you, I love each and every one of you…It's all about them. The brotherhood. The bond."

Warrior and former Sergeant of Marines, Robert J. Mitchell, Jr., spoke those heart-felt words to his former buddies from his former infantry battalion moments after he received the Navy Cross, the Nation’s second-highest medal for valor, at a solemn July 28, 2006 ceremony on his former battalion’s parade ground at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton, Ca. Let me share with you the battlefield exploits of the Marine Corps’ latest Navy Cross hero as described in his citation:

“For extraordinary heroism while serving as Squad Leader, Company K, 3d Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, Regimental Combat Team 1, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Central in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM on 13 November 2004.”

If that standard introductory sentence sounds strangely familiar, the reason is because it is nearly identical to the opening sentence of then - 1stSgt Bradley A. Kasal’s Navy Cross citation. The only differences are the billet and the company, for both heroes fought side-by-side in one of the most intense engagements in the memorable battle for Fallujah. The citation set the stage for the heroics of then-Corporal Mitchell:

“During a ferocious firefight with six insurgents fighting inside a heavily fortified house, Corporal Mitchell courageously attacked the enemy strongpoint to rescue five wounded Marines trapped inside the house.”

According to accounts of the actions leading up to and during this rescue, Mitchell was wounded just the day before when he was shot through the right triceps during an assault that destroyed an insurgent strongpoint. He refused medical evacuation to remain with his squad. His refusal of medical care to continue to lead his Marines was a fore-shadowing of things to come.

One Camp Pendleton story quoted Mitchell about the mission he received on Nov. 13: “When the call came, we knew we had to get them out,” said Mitchell. “That became the mission – the only mission.”” In earlier articles in this Navy Cross Heroes series, I have described the mandate that Marines do not leave Marines behind. To Mitchell and his Marines, hearing that Marines were trapped and in imminent danger was all they needed to know.

An article in the July 29, 2006 Orange County Register included a quote from Mitchell that described what that mandate meant to him:

“You know that guy on the other side of the wall. You can’t see him. You can hear him scream. And you know he’s there, and you assume the worst. I guess it’s just human nature – you just want to make the wrong right. It doesn’t really matter what happens as long as that guy is all right.”

It was at this point when Kasal joined Mitchell’s squad in response to the same mandate. As a seasoned and much senior combat veteran, Kasal could have easily “taken over” or “led” Kasal’s squad himself, and probably nobody would have questioned his actions. The fact that Kasal subordinated himself to Cpl Mitchell speaks volumes about Mitchell’s combat leadership reputation.

What exactly was Mitchell’s squad facing in this time-sensitive rescue mission? According to one account I read, “Insurgents had learned not to fight Marines in the open, preferring to barricade themselves inside a home, keeping their weapons aimed at the door and waiting for the Marines to break through.” Add to that tactic the insurgents’ first-hand experiences being on the receiving end of the Marines’ mandate, and it is clear that the insurgents knew the Marines would be coming to rescue their trapped fellow Marines. For those reasons, and no doubt others, the Marines dubbed that building, “Hell House.” For Mitchell and his Marines, the hell started with a charge through heavy small arms fire and grenades just to reach the house. The citation continued…

“Locating the enemy positions and completely disregarding his own safety, he gallantly charged through enemy AK-47 fire and hand grenades, in order to assist a critically wounded Marine in an isolated room. Ignoring his own wounds, he began the immediate first aid treatment of the Marine’s severely wounded leg. Assessing that the Marine needed immediate intravenous fluids to survive, he suppressed the enemy, enabling a Corpsman to cross the impact zone. Once the Corpsman arrived, he moved to the next room to assist other casualties. While running across the impact zone a second time, he was hit in the left leg with a ricochet off of his weapon and with grenade shrapnel to the legs and face.”

Once inside the house, littered with dead and dying insurgents, Mitchell and his Marines quickly assessed the situation and discovered another hellish scenario: “Other enemy fighters were in fortified positions on the roof looking down through a skylight, creating a kill zone between Mitchell and the wounded Marines.” To get to the wounded Marines, Mitchell added grenade shrapnel in his legs to the previous day’s gunshot wound to his arm. Once again, he ignored his wounds to take care of others.

Using his combat lifesaver training, Mitchell knew what the wounded Marines needed, a corpsman with intravenous fluids. He also knew what the corpsman needed, suppression of the insurgents controlling the hellish kill zone. Exercising his leadership, Mitchell coordinated suppression to allow the corpsman to get to the wounded Marine.

Knowing other Marines under his charge had been injured on the other side of the kill zone, Mitchell ran through the hail of bullets and grenades a second time. A ricocheted bullet to his left leg and more grenade shrapnel to his legs and face were added to his growing list of wounds. Still, Cpl Mitchell never lost focus on his mission and the Marine mandate, as the citation described…

“While applying first aid, he noticed a wounded insurgent reach for his weapon. With his rifle inoperable, he drew his combat knife, stabbed the insurgent, and eliminated him instantly. Demonstrating great presence of mind, he then coordinated the casualties’ evacuation. Limping from his own wounds, Corporal Mitchell assisted in the evacuation of the last casualty through the impact zone under enemy fire, ultimately saving the lives of multiple Marines.”

According to other accounts, the situation inside “Hell House” was deteriorating, beyond Mitchell’s combat-knifed insurgent. Communicating through a small, barred window, Mitchell detailed the locations of Marines and insurgents to Marines outside the house. Armed with their leader’s clear and accurate situational awareness, the Marines outside the house took up positions to suppress the roof-top-fortified insurgents long enough to evacuate all the wounded Marines. Once all the wounded were clear of “Hell House,” demolition charges were thrown inside, and the explosion reduced the building and its insurgents to a heavenly pile of rubble.

The citation concluded:

“By his bold leadership, wise judgment, and complete dedication to duty, Corporal Mitchell reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service.”

Less than two weeks after Cpl Mitchell’s heroic rescue efforts, his multiple woundings (including those from a mortar attack in July 2004) and immeasurable contributions to his Marines and his unit, led to Mitchell being ordered to leave the combat zone. According to a Camp Pendleton article:

“In a November 2004 interview with a Marine combat correspondent, Mitchell voiced his concerns about being ordered to leave Iraq, but was resigned to his fate. "Being told by my [commanding officer], sergeant major, platoon commander and all my buddies that I have done enough – that helps to ease my thoughts," said Mitchell. "It is supportive, but at the same time, I came out here to lead a squad and finish the job."”

Examples of Cpl Mitchell’s words, actions, and decisions provide invaluable life and leadership lessons that are worthy of serious reflection:

Ignoring multiple wounds and obstacles to remain with his Marines

“We knew we had to get them out…you just want to make the wrong right….”

A senior leader voluntarily joining Mitchell’s squad for a dangerous mission

Leading by example into certain peril to rescue trapped Marines

Giving first aid to wounded Marines, and knowing when they needed more

Remaining calm under duress to effectively communicate critical information

Reluctantly accepting orders to leave the combat zone – with seniors’, peers’, and subordinates’ approval and encouragement

“I came out here to lead a squad and finish the job.”

I believe the Scottish novelist, poet, and historian, Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832), had in mind someone like Navy Cross hero Corporal Robert J. Mitchell, Jr. when he wrote, “It is wonderful what strength of purpose and boldness and energy of will are roused by the assurance that we are doing our duty.”

Ellie

Honoring a hero from Iraq

Gunnery Sgt. Keith A. Milks at Camp Pendleton writes about another hero from Iraq, Marine Cpl Robert J. Mitchell, Jr., who saved his fellow Marines at great personal risk, suffering wounds himself. These are the kind of people who honor us all with their service.

We reproduce this article from Defense Link with permission:

CAMP PENDLETON, Calif. , Aug. 4, 2006 — His desert utilities shreddedby shrapnel and streaked with his own blood and that of his fellow Marines, Cpl. Robert J. Mitchell Jr. limped out of the cement block house in downtown Fallujah, Iraq, and into the annals of Marine Corps history.

The day was Nov. 13, 2004, and according to the Marine Corps’ official account of the fierce, close quarters battle, Mitchell ignored his own wounds and repeatedly braved enemy fire to administer first aid to and evacuate other Marines wounded in the fight.

Nearly two years after that fateful day, in a solemn ceremony at Camp Pendleton, Calif., Mitchell received the Navy Cross from Lt. Gen. John F. Sattler, commander of the I Marine Expeditionary Force. The Navy Cross is the nation’s second-highest award for battlefield heroism.

“This is a truly special occasion,” said Sattler, addressing the assembled Marines and guests after presenting the award. “Valor comes in a scale, and all the Marines, sailors, and veterans here today know how rare of an occasion this is.”

As a cool, dry wind snapped the flags around the parade deck, Mitchell choked back tears as he thanked God, his family, and his fellow Marines for their support and attending the ceremony.

Mitchell joined the Marine Corps in early 2001, and was on his second tour in Iraq with the 1st Marine Division when Coalition forces launched a joint U.S.-Iraqi offensive to reclaim Fallujah from insurgents who had fortified the city.

Dubbed Operation Al Fajr (aka Phantom Fury), the assault on Fallujah kicked off on Nov. 8, 2004, and quickly turned into a bloody, street-by-street contest with then-Corporal Mitchell and his fellow Marines in Kilo Company, 3rd Battalion, 1st Marine Regiment, in the thick of the fighting.

Day by day, Mitchell and his squad pushed through the city, methodically clearing pockets of enemy resistance as they progressed. During an assault against an insurgent strong point on Nov. 12, Mitchell was shot through the right tricep, but ignored the wound to help destroy the fortified position, and later refused medical evacuation to remain with his squad.

The next day, an assault against a squat, cement house had gone horribly wrong and several wounded Marines lay trapped inside with several well-fortified insurgents waiting in ambush positions. Mitchell’s squad got the call to come and assist.

“When the call came, we knew we had to get them out,” said Mitchell. “That became the mission – the only mission.”

Once on the scene, the Iowa native quickly established a casualty collection point and organized his men to assault the building. Then-1st Sgt. Bradley A. Kasal, the senior enlisted Marine from another company, joined Mitchell’s squad, and together, they charged the building and took up firing positions.

The first floor of the house was littered with dead or dying insurgents, and the wounded Marines lay further inside. Other enemy fighters were in fortified positions on the roof looking down through a skylight, creating a kill zone between Mitchell and the wounded Marines.

Covered by suppressive fire, Mitchell raced through the kill zone toward the wounded Marines as the rooftop insurgents showered the room below with rifle fire and grenades. Shrapnel from one of the grenades peppered the back of Mitchell’s legs, but he made it to the stranded, wounded Marines.

“It was great to see him come in,” said Cpl. Jose Sanchez, an infantryman from Houston, Texas. “Until he got there I was switching between treating Carlisle (Lance Cpl. Cory) and providing security. When Corporal Mitchell came in, he took over the medical treatment and I could focus on firing at the insurgents.”

A trained combat lifesaver, Mitchell went to work on Carlisle’s bullet-mangled leg. With his medical supplies running out, he once again orchestrated suppression of the insurgents on the roof to allow a corpsman and another Marine to sprint through the kill zone.

By this time, both Kasal and another Marine, Pfc. Class Alex Nicoll, had been seriously wounded by rifle fire and grenades, and were holed up inside a small room across the kill zone Mitchell had crossed only moments before.

Leaving the wounded Marines in the care of the corpsman, Mitchell once again braved the kill zone, and like before, the insurgents sprayed the short, treacherous path with bullets and grenades. One bullet smashed into Mitchell’s M-16A4 assault rifle, shattering the weapon before ricocheting down and into his right leg. More shrapnel slashed Mitchell’s legs and face, yet he remained on his feet and made it to Kasal and Nicoll, who was Mitchell’s former roommate and longtime friend.

Bleeding profusely, but apparently unmindful of his wounds, Mitchell began treating the others, applying bandages and direct pressure in an attempt to staunch the wounded Marines’ blood loss. In the midst of his life-saving efforts, Mitchell scanned the room and saw a wounded insurgent, shot earlier by Kasal, make a move for a weapon laying nearby.

Mitchell quickly drew his combat knife and lunged forward, driving the weapon into the insurgent, eliminating the threat for good before turning his attention back to Kasal and Nicoll. With Marines scattered throughout the small house and the insurgents still firmly entrenched on the roof and a nearby stairwell denying access to any additional forces, the situation was quickly deteriorating.

Through a small, barred window in the room, Mitchell explained to Marines outside the layout of the house and where Marines were located throughout the structure. With this information, the Marines were able to suppress the insurgents on the roof via firing positions on adjacent structures, and one-by-one, extract the wounded Marines from the building which has since been dubbed the “House of Hell.”

The photograph of a bloody Kasal, now a sergeant major and himself a Navy Cross recipient, being helped from the house by two Marines is one of the more resonant images of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Despite his own severe wounds, Mitchell was among the last to leave the house, and did so assisting another wounded Marine. Demolition charges were quickly flung into the house, and the resulting explosion caused the building to collapse, killing the diehard insurgents.

While other casualties from the short, yet intense, fight were loaded onto vehicles and driven to a nearby aid station, Mitchell gathered the remnants of his squad and led them back to the Kilo Company headquarters where he finally received treatment for his wounds.

Less than two weeks later, Mitchell was on his way home from Iraq. Though non-debilitating, his injuries suffered during Operation Al Fajr, combined with those from a mortar attack in July, were enough to convince the Marines the time had come to order Mitchell to leave the combat zone. In a November 2004 interview with a Marine combat correspondent, Mitchell voiced his concerns about being ordered to leave Iraq, but was resigned to his fate.

“Being told by my (commanding officer), sergeant major, platoon commander and all my buddies that I have done enough – that helps to ease my thoughts,” said Mitchell. “It is supportive, but at the same time, I came out here to lead a squad and finish the job.”

Mitchell, who left the Marine Corps as a sergeant in March 2005, traveled to Camp Pendleton to receive the award with his wife, Sara, and seven-month-old son, Robert III, from their current home in Phoenix where Mitchell works as a motorcycle mechanic. Other family members and friends, including Nicoll, made the trip as well.

“Mitchell’s a Marine’s Marine, and I always looked to him as a role model” said Sanchez, who earned a Bronze Star Medal for valor during the fight for Fallujah. “I’m really happy to see him receive this award.”

The 26-year-old former Marine is unassuming, almost self-effacing, about receiving the Navy Cross.

“It’s very overwhelming, but I don’t think it’s hit me yet,” Mitchell said in an interview after the ceremony, pausing every few minutes to chat with well-wishers and pose for pictures. “It’s an honor – the biggest honor I could ever fathom.”

Mitchell is the eleventh Marine to earn the Navy Cross for battlefield service in Iraq. Another Marine received the coveted award earlier this year for heroism in Afghanistan.

John B. Dwyer

Ellie

Thread Information