Question - Enlistment Bonus Programs
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question - Enlistment Bonus Programs

I have been doing some research online and have also searched this site for information about signing bonuses and other types of bonuses, but I haven't found what I am looking for yet.

I don't want you to think that I am enlisting just for the money; it is because I am not too sure of what I want for an MOS yet. I know that I want to go into a combat MOS and most likely a 0300 MOS.

I have been asking my recruiter for a list of the bonuses for combat jobs to try and help me decide, but he has been avoiding the question. If you guys know where to find a list like this or have any information on this topic please let me know.

Fill out your profile.

kid,
    There are a TON of prereqs that you need to meet in order for you to get a bonus. I know that other than a ship bonus you need to have atleast a 50 AFQT on your ASVAB, you also can NOT have any waivers when you joined. Bottom line kid, he could be avoiding it because your not qualified. If the bonus is there and your qualified I CAN GUARNTEE you that your recruiter would get it.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm not sure what more you need/want me to fill out in my profile.

My overall score on the ASVAB was a 90 so I dont think that is the problem. The only other thing is that I had a medical waiver that is already taken care of (I went down to MEPS and had a consult and it came back approved).

Maybe my recruiter just has not gotten around to it or maybe he doesn't have all the info he needs yet.

If you guys know where I could find info about the bonuses I would appreciate it. I found a lot of info on the other branches but for some reason I haven't been able to find info for the Marines.

The reason you haven't found as much info from the USMC is because it isn't as common as in the other branches.

Go to www.usmc.mil

Look to the left and you'll see a search bar, try that out. I've found info there for re-enlistment bonuses but I'll be honest with you, it isn't a very search friendly site. The info is on there, but it might take you some time to find it.

Good luck.

*edit* They changed the page, the search bar is in the top of the page, and it looks like it's even less user friendly than before.

Quote Originally Posted by Mendo View Post
    I'm not sure what more you need/want me to fill out in my profile.

My overall score on the ASVAB was a 90 so I dont think that is the problem. The only other thing is that I had a medical waiver that is already taken care of (I went down to MEPS and had a consult and it came back approved).

Maybe my recruiter just has not gotten around to it or maybe he doesn't have all the info he needs yet.

If you guys know where I could find info about the bonuses I would appreciate it. I found a lot of info on the other branches but for some reason I haven't been able to find info for the Marines.

Ok, so you had a MEd waiver, Did you have any criminal waivers or drug waivers? If so, that is your problem. The Corps will NOT give out bonuses to enlistees that have a criminal or drug waiver. Also, when I was getting off recruiting duty, the Marine Corps was only giving a Ship bonus. It was between 2,000-3,000 depending on when you left to boot camp. They also gave a bonus to certain MOS fields, Have you picked your MOS yet? If so, that may be your problem too. Maybe your MOS does NOT have a bonus. Dont think your recruiter is screwing you, because if the bonus is there we WANT you to have it.

i will tell you how i got my 5,000$ bonus. I told the recruitor i needed to wait another month or two before i shipped to take care of financial stuff and he said what would it take for you to go this month, i said a bonus, he got me one. They can get you one but if they dont have to, they wont.

I can NOT stand it when people think that recruiters can get kids bonuses at any time and they wont if they dont have to. RECRUITERS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BONUS. That usually goes through the RSS NCOIC and through operations at the rss headquarters. If it was up to the recruiters we would get the kid one EVERYTIME. why wouldnt we??? Its not coming out of our pockets. Look, if a bonus is what your looking for, I suggest going to another branch. You will get more of a bonus from another branch. Let me ask you this though, If I have to pay you a TON of money to join my organization, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE ORGANIZATION??? The Marine Corps offers very few and very little bonuses, the reason is BECAUSE PEOPLE JOIN OUR ORGANIZATION.

Quote Originally Posted by slimmy07 View Post
    I can NOT stand it when people think that recruiters can get kids bonuses at any time and they wont if they dont have to. RECRUITERS HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH THE BONUS. That usually goes through the RSS NCOIC and through operations at the rss headquarters. If it was up to the recruiters we would get the kid one EVERYTIME. why wouldnt we??? Its not coming out of our pockets. Look, if a bonus is what your looking for, I suggest going to another branch. You will get more of a bonus from another branch. Let me ask you this though, If I have to pay you a TON of money to join my organization, WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE ORGANIZATION??? The Marine Corps offers very few and very little bonuses, the reason is BECAUSE PEOPLE JOIN OUR ORGANIZATION.

Im just saying how my recruiter got me the bonus. Kind of funny how one minute he cant get it for me but as soon as i need some more time to take care of financial stuff he throws a bonus out there, Im sure im gonna end up not seeing it though, im suppose to get it when i finish my mos training wich should be next month or so, so we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
    Im just saying how my recruiter got me the bonus. Kind of funny how one minute he cant get it for me but as soon as i need some more time to take care of financial stuff he throws a bonus out there, Im sure im gonna end up not seeing it though, im suppose to get it when i finish my mos training wich should be next month or so, so we shall see.

I think its funny how people ALWAYS think recruiters are out there to screw everyone over. Why would we??? we have to serve with ALL of the people we put in, plus bonuses are NOT OUR MONEY! It does NOT come out of our pockets, so WHY NOT GIVE IT TO A KID??? I always felt that if you help a kid out, he would help you out too, i.e. referals,etc.etc.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post

Here's how i got my bonus. My recruiter called me 3 months before I shipped and asked me if I wanted to ship the next week. So I said Yes SSgt. I didnt even know about the bonus until I went to the recruiting office the next day. I would've gone without it. But anyways I didnt think i would see it either because Marines that had just graduated their MOS schools would come back and tell us that there were Marines at their schools who got screwed out of it. But when I got to my unit after my SRB audit I checked my account one day and there was my 3,000 dollar bonus. Just because other people tell you that you wont ever see it doesnt mean that you wont.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks everybody for the info. It's not that I want the bonus because I am joining, it's just that I have about $17,000 in college loan debt that I was hoping the Marines could help with.

Also; what would happen if I was fortunate enough to be the honor recruit out of boot camp, but I turned down the promotion because I didn't want to assume the responsibilities of LCPL? Would I still get to be recognized at graduation or would I forfeit all of the benefits of honor recruit?

Thanks again.

You would have to be a freaking amazing recruit. I only heard of that happening one time. The chances of you getting promoted to lance meritoriously at boot camp are slim to none

Do some searches on the site for graduating as the Honor man. I've posted threads on here before on what it takes.

Thread Information