Just joined the site and I have some ?'s
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Just joined the site and I have some ?'s

Thanks in advance Marines!

I am 23 yrs old and my name is Josh. I did fill out the profile to. Here is what I am up to. I have a GED but I am now working on close to 30 hours of college. I am ready to do something in my life that I respect and something I stand for. Here are some issues I have: I have a girlfriend of 2 years and she has three children and we have one child with each other. The guy just got up and took off on her, shes a great women and mother. Im 23 years old and she is 31 years old and we want to get married but the recruiter told me that if I did that it would be to many dependents...I was kinda upset because I have become the father to her kids and made alot of sacrafices and I felt like that was a kick in the face. The recruiter then told me just to get married after I was in and they would be able to move with me after all the training to the base Im at. Thats just to sum that all of on that issue...any input would be great thx
    Next, if I go active I want to work on jets as a mechanic or do computer software (fixing or whatever) something I can do when I get out. Is this easy to get done?
    Im ready to get in now, maybe sign up around january thats when the school sem;s ends...any help would be great and I am in the middle of a huge change in my life and I want to make the right one.

Also how long on deployments away from family in 4 yrs? Can family go with you overseas on your tours in most areas?

sorry guys im new and i have been reading the site some and had alot to say.

THANK YOU MARINES FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO, HAVE DONE, AND WILL DO
    YOUR ARE THE BEST OF THE BEST AND I HAVE DEEP LOVE AND RESPECT FOR ALL OF YOU!

Well first off Welcome to the site. Its good that your considering joining the Marines. First thing,....why are you joining the Marines. If its for financial reasons, dont join. Marines are Marines for different reason. Honor and Duty . So if its for financial then consider a different branch of the armed forces. If it is for the correct reason , then great , Im sure youll make a fine Marine.
    As far as getting married before you go to boot camp... dont. Just like your recruiter said , If you truly love this woman and she in turn loves for who you are then yes get married . It will be much easier at that point.
    Marines deploy. and when we get deployed its not to nice place. We train to go to war and we train to kill other people. So remember that. A deployment is long and you will be away from your family for the entire time.On average you will deploy twice if in the infantry but because of the current world situtuation it may be more. As another job you may never deploy. If you are stationed overseas sometimes you are allowed to bring your family but its only when your orders for overextended period of time.
    One thing , if you have your GED it might limit what jobs you can do in the Marine Corps. but thats something you need to talk to a recruiter about. I in no way know everything. I hope you go to the recruiter , you get your answers , and I hope you choose a path where you can take care of your family , serve your country and at the same time be happy in your decision. Just remember the Marine Corps is not like every other service, we are Marines.

Dont marry until you get a strip or 2,housing is not cheap. I met guys at my 1st duty station(okinawa) who went home and got married after boot. They would tell me how there wifes were lonely and they should have waited longer(red flag) Upon returning to the states and going on leave, I had 1 guy call and say his wife left him. Next duty I ran into 2 more who said the same thing.Its hard on a couple when your young and you get shipped out overseas.I'm not saying it would happen to you but its something you need to think long and hard about.Good Luck in your endevors!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If the Marine Corps wanted you to have a wife - they would issue you one in bootcamp.

Marriage for a new Marine is really difficult. I'd tell you to hold off for a year or so. Just my 2 cents.

Don't waste your breath. Let me share with you the PM's I got and the advice I have given. He has made several posts and in each he has been told the family life is second. I sent him a PM and stated the truth of things and told him the Marine Corps was for warriors, not family men. I explained what he would have to do and this is what I get in response:

PM:

My family is concerned with me being shipped from boot camp to iraq. Im not trying to avoid iraq but I would like to do whats safer and plus I see alot of stuff on TV about dems wanting to pull us out. How is the 6 month marine navy thing work...that sounds interesting...
    say i signed up wnrt to boot camp and tried to do the pcf deal...how liong would it be months, yrs before my famiuly could come...also is there a way to become a full time recruiter...

thx jst answer what u can and thanx for all ur help!

Response:

Sir you are someone with no skills looking at the military as a way to make money and support your family. You have no place in our Marine Corps. You NEED TO BE in another branch of the service! Your heart is not where it needs to be.

Quit wasting our time and go do something worthwhile. Your family needs you at home. I realize I explained the benefits of deploying for 6 months at a time, but the way you act, I guarantee you would be one of the troops on the ship that did nothing but wine about getting back home to see mama. We called that "Pus*y Whipped".

Take it as you may, just go away. JOIN THE AIR FORCE!

No Semper Fi to you.

Instead FU,

Sgt. Simkins

PS- The best part of him dribbled down his daddy's leg.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Oh yeah. I remember this guy he keeps

asking the same question and I think we have covered this stuff before. Marine84, now babe you are crusing for a brusing talking like that...LOL
    Anyway, I think his questions have been answered and that you for filling in your profile.

ZOOOMMMM

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by wsimkins
    Don't waste your breath. Let me share with you the PM's I got and the advice I have given. He has made several posts and in each he has been told the family life is second. I sent him a PM and stated the truth of things and told him the Marine Corps was for warriors, not family men. I explained what he would have to do and this is what I get in response:

PM:

My family is concerned with me being shipped from boot camp to iraq. Im not trying to avoid iraq but I would like to do whats safer and plus I see alot of stuff on TV about dems wanting to pull us out. How is the 6 month marine navy thing work...that sounds interesting...
    say i signed up wnrt to boot camp and tried to do the pcf deal...how liong would it be months, yrs before my famiuly could come...also is there a way to become a full time recruiter...

thx jst answer what u can and thanx for all ur help!

Response:

Sir you are someone with no skills looking at the military as a way to make money and support your family. You have no place in our Marine Corps. You NEED TO BE in another branch of the service! Your heart is not where it needs to be.

Quit wasting our time and go do something worthwhile. Your family needs you at home. I realize I explained the benefits of deploying for 6 months at a time, but the way you act, I guarantee you would be one of the troops on the ship that did nothing but wine about getting back home to see mama. We called that "Pus*y Whipped".

Take it as you may, just go away. JOIN THE AIR FORCE!

No Semper Fi to you.

Instead FU,

Sgt. Simkins

PS- The best part of him dribbled down his daddy's leg.

This guy is a F*% nuisance!

(college "I can't figure it out")

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! He wants to join the military but wants a "safe" job!

Give me a break!

I told hime the same f*cking thing when he pmd me. He can join something but the Marines are not for you man. You want to help your family and be a good father and husband , theres nothing wrong with that. But if your going to join the Marines then you have to understand you will deploy to a bad place, and place your life in danger and that you cannot be worrying about your family when your fireteam or squad or whatever is depending on you. You seriously need to sit down think about what the hell your going to do , but right now as far as I can tell the Marine Corps is definetly not the paycheck you want to cash.

Not that we get them all the time, but it seems as if more and more kids want to "be Marines" without ever having to do what Marines do. All of the questions about deploying confuse me. When I was enlisting, that is what I assumed would happen... and it helped me decide to enlist. I would guess that most people here feel about the same way. The Marine Corps isn't some cool super-secret club we joined. It is a group of men and women that do the dirty work for our country. Whether we are Republicans or Democrats, whether we agree with the conflict or not, and whether we think we need to be at home with our families or not- when the call comes, we go. There is an old saying "First to go, last to know" and it fits the Marine Corps well. We are often the first troops on the ground, and that is usually before people have really figured the whole story out. Once the rest of the world knows what is going on, we don't have time to watch CNN and learn it ourselves. Instead, we're winning battles, which is what Marines have done since November 10, 1775. Everything else is secondary while you're serving in the Marine Corps. Only later, when you are assigned to the First Civ Div does your opinion about where you should be, when you should be there, and why it is that way begin to matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    Not that we get them all the time, but it seems as if more and more kids want to "be Marines" without ever having to do what Marines do. All of the questions about deploying confuse me. When I was enlisting, that is what I assumed would happen... and it helped me decide to enlist. I would guess that most people here feel about the same way. The Marine Corps isn't some cool super-secret club we joined. It is a group of men and women that do the dirty work for our country. Whether we are Republicans or Democrats, whether we agree with the conflict or not, and whether we think we need to be at home with our families or not- when the call comes, we go. There is an old saying "First to go, last to know" and it fits the Marine Corps well. We are often the first troops on the ground, and that is usually before people have really figured the whole story out. Once the rest of the world knows what is going on, we don't have time to watch CNN and learn it ourselves. Instead, we're winning battles, which is what Marines have done since November 10, 1775. Everything else is secondary while you're serving in the Marine Corps. Only later, when you are assigned to the First Civ Div does your opinion about where you should be, when you should be there, and why it is that way begin to matter.

Can we get a "AMEN" !! I think we all have covered enough on this said subject,write him off.Marine84 summed it up best,God I'd love to wrestle with that woman, SF

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    get the jello ready

Credits
    Savings

whats sad is

you all are suppost to be recruiting its called ask a Marine lol...and this guy told me to **** off...look 2 post or three above..that is out of line bro. where the hell am i suppost to ask? i bet that is why not alot of people post here or responde.

Credits
    Savings

my post was erased

look all im saying is i have questions and people i love. just because my love for my child and family comes into play does not mean i cannot become a damn good Marine. as far as a safe job...i want to learn something while in like a trade thats all...i mean all im trying to do is become a Marine..so i am sorry if i came acroos wrong but i came to this section for help..

thx keyboard caps lock is messing up to...

Thread Information