Enlisted reservist in PLC - deployable?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Enlisted reservist in PLC - deployable?

I've been working with my recruiter to determine a path towards becoming a Marine officer, but have run into some conflicting information. I want to be enlisted as a reservist throughout college (I'll be a freshman in the fall) to give me a leg up when I become an officer (hopefully infantry). At the moment this is the plan that my recruiter is pushing me on:

Freshman year
    -Boot (apply to PLC immediately)
    Sophmore year
    -OCS part one
    Junior year
    -OCS part two
    Senior year
    -The basic school

He claims that while in the PLC program my unit will not deploy me. Also, having not gone to SOI, I won't be fully trained yet and thus useless on the ground. He did tell me, though, that it is possible that I could be ordered to complete my training and leave college for deployment.

Would I be better off simply applying to PLC and foregoing the reserve enlistment beforehand? Would that hurt my chances at becoming an infantry officer?

Anyone have any information for me?

Thanks.

I am not an expert here by any means so I might be a little wrong. What advice I can give is about the Reserves. I am a Reservist and have been deployed twice. I have a ton of friends like myself who are trying to finish school but have had to stop twice now. I have been briefied on OCS and know you can take it in two parts as you explained but you will not get your Commission until you graduate college. There is no way they will make you a Platoon Commander until you have your Commission so I can't see them sending you. I would listen to your Recruiter on this one.

I am not an expert here by any means so I might be a little wrong. What advice I can give is about the Reserves. I am a Reservist and have been deployed twice. I have a ton of friends like myself who are trying to finish school but have had to stop twice now. I have been briefied on OCS and know you can take it in two parts as you explained but you will not get your Commission until you graduate college. There is no way they will make you a Platoon Commander until you have your Commission so I can't see them sending you. I would listen to your Recruiter on this one.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Please Fill Out Your Profile So We Know Who We're Talking To!

I can't see the benefit for the Marine Corps to allow you to serve in the reserves without you being a functional part of the unit. We covered this here not long ago, a search should help you out. I'll leave my opinion out, and just say that if your unit deploys, you'd better be prepared to go with them, regardless of what your future plans are.

just pm me and i will give you a number and i will read it out of the book its to much to type for me or i can fax it

IF YOU ARE IN THE PLC PROGRAM AND YOU ARE A RESERVIST YOU ARE DEPLOYABLE. It used to be that you had the option to be a drilling or non-drilling reservist making you non-deployable. However, that rule changed 1 December 2005. I hope this helps.

Thread Information