Dont join the Corps - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by jm4magic
    I want to know what some of the criticism you poolies are receiving from so called friends and family. I’ll start first. My father is a rich man; he is the owner and CEO of a corporation. He told me, he would be embarrassed to show his face to the public because his son enlisted in the Marine Corps. When asked why, he said only poor people join the military
    Heh!

I guess your father is just going to have to hide his head in shame then, isn't he?

Both of my lower-class factory-worker parents were very upset with me when I volunteered into the Marines in 1967, at the height of the Viet Nam conflict, but it was because they were worried I might get my dumb ass killed.

I see a certain irony, in that your father apparently brought you up in a manner that caused you to become the kind of person you are, with the values you apparently have, but is now telling you to act in a way that is contrary to all that.

You might want to explain to him that if America is the kind of country where the wealthy people feel entitled to send only the poor people off to war... then there really is no difference between America, and the Islamofacists... where the Religious Bosses hide safely in their caves, and preach to the 'Lowly Muslim Masses' that it is *their* children who should strap on suicide belts and become martyrs... while most of the sons of the Religious Bosses are either going to private schools in the West, or living as a protected, sheltered aristocracy in some country like Egypt, or Saudi Arabia, where they can indulge their more perverse sexual proclivities out of sight of the 'Muslim Masses'.

My question to you is:

Whom would you rather hang their head in shame, your father for not believing in YOU, or YOU for not believing in yourself?

To me there is no greater shame than not believing in ones self, right or wrong. A man, or woman, is only what they become, if they kowtow to others beliefs and whims then they are just a shell of humanity. If they stand proud, even after failing, then they are a far better man or woman than the rest who hang their heads in shame or embarassment.

you have to do what you believe in to be a man, not what others would have you be...

This political discussion is NOT even close to the topic of this thread. Can we move it to another thread that would be more appropriate??
    Thanks

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member

OHHHRAHHHHH

Pvt. Pile... I mean poolee Poske

Thread gone off course

It is not a political discussion....Stick with the question which was first asked.

You want to get political take it to a new thread

Ellie

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    A worried mother whose son wanted to enlist asked, “Aren’t you worried that your son is going in the Marine Corp? There is a war going on. Why do you want you son to be a Marine?”

To which I explained, “Take any kid. Spend time with him before he goes to Boot Camp. Then spend time with him AFTER Boot Camp. Then come talk to me.”

You may not have a lot of money but you will come out: Rich in Spirit, Rich in Pride, Rich in Respect, Rich in Confidence, and Rich in Ability.

With all this dad’s money, there is one thing he can’t buy, The Eagle, Globe, & Anchor.

Your Pops thinks he knows what is best for you. You need to show him why you want to be a Marine so do it with RESPECT!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Fascinating article MillRatUSMC, thanks for posting it.
    By the way, for anyone that's interested in all this stuff, I recommend the book called 'Making The Corps'. Although it's main focus is on the progress of a platoon of recruits through boot camp, the author makes frequent forays into this very topic.
    He implies that compulsory national service, with a military component, would be a good remedy. From today's perspective though, I would think it near impossible to implement since the war in Iraq is so politically controversial.

Another factor though, at least in my experience, is that the military clashes with college. Those 'with money' usually have a college education and want their kids to have the benefit of that as well. Although I want to join the Corps, there is something that I don't discuss with my parents which is that I'm scared that I will miss the college boat by spending the next 4 years of my life in the military. I think this is a much bigger deal if you come from a wealthier family since the pressure to go to college straight out of high school is (I speculate) greater.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    That's a very motivating reply, Mike McIntyre, although not addressed at me, but thank you nonetheless

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    This is addressed to you. I have plenty of college and my degrees cannot and will not hold a candle to an Eagle, Globe and Anchor! Do both, college will be there. Enlist, go to school, and then go OCS.

I know several Marines that went to college after the Corps. They were organized, focused, and more mature. But their biggest advantage was that they could read straight through most of the professors BULL SHYT.

My brother-in-Law is a professor. He was an Army Captain Grunt in Nam. He claims that the kids coming out of HS are severely lacking in everything that the Corps can give you.

There are many paths but only the FEW are Marines.

proud of my Recruit

I just want to say that I am very proud of my son who just joined the Marines 3 weeks ago. The Marines are all about courage, honor and fighting for our freedom, my son joined the Marines so he could be "the best of the best" he is so proud to be in boot camp, I can't wait to see him walk across that parade deck. He wants to be a sniper and I couldn't be prouder! Thank-You from a Marine Mom! Laverne

it's all you

I work public affairs for the Corps. Twelve weeks out of the year, we host educators on the depot to show them what it takes to make a Marine. We tell them it's the students decision to join.

I tell you that it's your decision to join. Some Marines may be upset over situations that you don't understand, so they may say negative things, lke telling you not to join. Talk to a Marine who stuck with the Corps through those first years. They have a different out look because they "did their time" on the bottom of the totem pole.

I personally had a rough first four. But i knew it was in my best interest to re enlist, try a new job, and see what else the Corps could do for me.

My dad hated the fact that i joined. And my older, rather well off sister sent me a letter in boot camp telling me i didn't have to join the Corps for money for school; she would have payed for me to go, nothing expected in return.

I joined for my future.

Join the Corps if you want, but don't let your dad make your decision.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by laverne 4
    I just want to say that I am very proud of my son who just joined the Marines 3 weeks ago. The Marines are all about courage, honor and fighting for our freedom, my son joined the Marines so he could be "the best of the best" he is so proud to be in boot camp, I can't wait to see him walk across that parade deck. He wants to be a sniper and I couldn't be prouder! Thank-You from a Marine Mom! Laverne
    Ma'am:

I'd just like to say, God Bless YOU.. and God Bless your SON.

Welcome to Leatherneck, you just stumbled on a GREAT Marine Corps family community. Poolees/Wannabe's , Parents/Family, and Marines alike.. there is always a place to call Home here.

We have quite a few other Mothers and Fathers of Marines both currently in Bootcamp earning the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor. Some parents of Marines stationed either in Camp Lejeune to Pendleton.. all the way to Provinces of Iraq.

We have Marines of current, Gulf War, Beirut, Vietnam.. even our own Mr. Cobb who faught in WWII! God Bless 'Em!

You'll love it here, and again, WELCOME! Feel free to PM or ask anyone for help or support if you need it!

Motivated,

-Jon

Thumbs up

*Double Post* -- Please Delete.

Graduation

I am wondering about the graduation, when he becomes a Marine does he write us and tell us he is graduating or does the Drill Instructor? I assume the parents and family members are given enough warning to get a motel room and make plans to go there, I was jsut curious Laverne

Thread Information