Dont join the Corps - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    My parents are pretty damn proud of me and money wasn't a problem either in my family on both sides (divorced parents). My father owns all the Outback Steak Houses in Alabama and part of Floride and the moms owns a real estate firm. I joined because I want to do something and be something. I want to be a Marine and nothing else. I want to fight and be proud. I could care less the money they pay me. Hell I'd prolly do it for free. If I wanted money I would have joined the Army for thier enlistment bonus. I joined up for infantry and I'm **** excited about it. I can't even begin to *imagine*what it feels like to know that your part of the best fighting force in the world. When people hear oh he/she is a Marine they are like damn that is a good man/woman. I just don't see how life could get much better once your a Marine. I'm day dreaming as I speak.

Pvt. Pile.... I mean poolee Poske

Quote Originally Posted by jm4magic
    whoa whoa this isnt about me, lol I beleive I wrote "I want to know what some of the criticism you poolies are receiving from so called friends and family" thanks alot for the comments though. The only thing my dad gave me was life.
    Some of the comments made above are a little off track but most are in line with your original post. Comments made to others besides you are annotated accordingly.

Your father's statement did however offend several people. You asked for it to go here and it has. Don't bow out now. Think about what you said originally to get these fine "Poor" folks fired up.....Maybe next time you should just phrase it a little different and simply ask what others are going through. You know, maybe leave the statement your father made out. Just food for future thought.

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Simkins

Quote Originally Posted by Poskew
    My parents are pretty damn proud of me and money wasn't a problem either in my family on both sides (divorced parents). My father owns all the Outback Steak Houses in Alabama and part of Floride and the moms owns a real estate firm. I joined because I want to do something and be something. I want to be a Marine and nothing else. I want to fight and be proud. I could care less the money they pay me. Hell I'd prolly do it for free. If I wanted money I would have joined the Army for thier enlistment bonus. I joined up for infantry and I'm **** excited about it. I can't even begin to *imagine*what it feels like to know that your part of the best fighting force in the world. When people hear oh he/she is a Marine they are like damn that is a good man/woman. I just don't see how life could get much better once your a Marine. I'm day dreaming as I speak.

Pvt. Pile.... I mean poolee Poske
    My favorite restaurant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey buddy private message me with your address if you want some free outback gift cards from your favorite poolee

Kovan, it doesn't have anything to do with getting sent to a war they weren't expecting. Marines complain about the Marine Corps all the time, it is part of what they do. I mean, if everyone loved it, nobody would ever want to get out.

Remember, if a Marine isn't B!tching he ain't happy!

The only criticism I get is from my friends in the Air Force(like I care what they say) and people who have no idea what they are talking about. The first people say when I tell them I am joining the Marines is "why"? Then I ask them WHY NOT?? It usually has something to do with not getting shot.

Its very ignorant and very annoying.

One point of view here..... do you want to be a leader or a follower? Its your life....so decide what it is that you want to do. It may not be what others want from their life and they may not be happy being a marine but that is them. Who lives your life? College doesn't always mean that your life will be better. I work right along with others that have a college degree,in which I don't have one but I make the same amount of money. You have to decide what is right for you.... inspite of friends and your parents. Good luck in making the right choice for you!

When I joined the Marine Corps in 1964 everyone was proud of me as "It takes a real man to be Marine" my parents gave me all their blessings. The only excuse to not join was from future sailors in that "why sleep in the mud".

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I come from what you would call a middle-class family. We're definately not rich, but the good Lord has blessed us and always provided. Both my parents work for Northrup Grumman. They get a lo t of military contracts and there's tons of ex-military employees there. My own dad served in the Army. I told them I wanted to join and they were really supportive. Because I scored an 80 on the ASVAB and nearly finished a whole year of college in high school, they assumed I would get into a "safe" job. Ya know, "In the rear with the gear". When I told them I wanted to join the Corps and go infantry (or light armored recon because they are the only two MOS available to Utah reservists) they totally backed out. "Just go to college." "They're gonna send you to the 'sandbox' and you'll get your ass shot off!" "I know a few Marines and they're all nuts! We don't wnat you to join the Marines, you'll come back a cold-blooded killer." I was even asked "What the hell's wrong with you!?" a couple of times.
    But it doesn't really matter what they thought because I know in my heaart of hearts this is what I want to do. And no one will be able to convince me otherwise. I've looked into other branches but none of it.... "fits" I guess, like the Marines do. Yeah the Army has thousands of dollars in bonuses, but I would'nt trade a million bucks for the Honor, History, Tradition, and Esteem the Corps has.
    To make a long story short jm4, I know what you're goin' through. But try to remember the main reason our parents give us static is because they don't want to see us come home in a box, which is understandable. And take it from these Marines, some of their parents were'nt too happy either, but I know for a fact that when your dad sees you graduate and realizes what a man you've become, he will be damn proud of you.

For me from the family it was "Your going to die or get maimed."

From my friends who are Marines "Well miss you untill your back" (all in the Reserves, I will be going Active.)

In the end my Dad sumed it up with. "If you join the Marine Corps, they will make a man outa you. I just wish you wern't signing up during war time."

Sucks to get get static when you go to your closest family and say that you are going to defend their freedom. Hope your Dad turns around.

GOD BLESS of ya'll

You all are TRULY HONORABLE people. Stick to your GOALS and we all will make it back with that Eagle, Globe, and Anchor someday..

Can I get a MOTO!!!?!??

Motivated,

-Jon

I never could understand that type of thinking.With no disrepect to the Guy (your .dad)he"s wrong. Its a mostly middle class military.Most guys in my generation went into the service because thier fathers had before them.As for the so called rich,and I mean the real filthy rich very few threw history have had the calling.I don't understand it but I don"t hold it againts them.And to all you other hard charges out there,Lets not kid ourselfs .the general civil. populatin has never held the military in high regard .In my own sick twisted mind I found this as a source of pride. Remember this one ---Bums on December 6th,Heros on December 7th Get it?

This comes from an old salty Master Sergeant, who spent plenty of time on recruiting. It sounds like your father might be a little jealous of who you will become. You know that there are only two types of people in this world, Marines and those who wish they were. We can not be bought or sold or loaned. This reality really gets to those who have money and have never served.

Semper Fi,

Top Bowers

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    The nephew of Sen. Max Baucus has become a casualty:
    Cpl. Phillip E. Baucus, 28, of Wolf Creek, Mont., died July 29 while conducting combat operations in Al Anbar province, Iraq. He was assigned to 3rd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Twentynine Palms, Calif.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My father is a rich man; he is the owner and CEO of a corporation. He told me, he would be embarrassed to show his face to the public because his son enlisted in the Marine Corps. When asked why, he said only poor people join the military

If your father is an owner and a CEO of a corporation you know that he has access to global information via industry related news flashes and briefings on any subject matter that relates to his business - that's a no brainer. You also have to know that he may get his global information before alot of other folks do. I'm sure that your father is a very intelligent and well read individual who cannot, for business sake, live in a vacuum.
    My take is that was being "protective" ("protective'" might fall under the guise of "control") of you. Maybe he had other plans for you, as parents often do, and you threw the big monkey wrench into how he thought your life's direction you should be going. Maybe the,"only poor people join the military" statement was bluster. See if you can get past that and get to the heart of the matter. I'm sure that he doesn't want to see you in a situation the might be physically harmful to not only you but also himself, emotionally.
    If you have your heart, mind and soul set on becoming a United States Marine and are willing to make sacrifices to become one, by all means go full bore and strive to make tour dream a reality but if you want to become a Marine for the sake or in spite of someone else...you won't be true to yourself.
    Good luck to you.
    Gary

Thread Information