Dont join the Corps - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    I live in Las Vegas, and I was involved with a rich woman, that had rich friends. They rather looked down on me because I'm a cop. The thought struck me one day, that if I hit 'mega-bucks' I could buy my way into their life style....disgusting thought.

However, no amount of money could buy them what I am..that has to earned.

And all of a sudden..I felt rather bad for them

Your dads a pussy.

My dad had some insecurities that he had to deal with when it came to my decision but now he is so proud. He had gone out and bought lots a Marine Corps stuff and wishes me the best. Most of my criticism has been from friends. Most of my friends plan to join the military as well, it is the ones that don’t plan to join that don’t seem to understand. A lot of people don’t see that it is a choice not a last resort for the majority of those who join. I could have and originally planned to go to college, but decided that enlisting in the Corps was better. I just say that it is the only thing I can see myself doing, loving, and making a difference all at the same time. Most people get over the fact that you chose what you chose and see that the Marine Corps and the military in general is a great thing that should a person should be proud of.
    Good luck with your dad, i really hope things go well for you.

K8 Mac, the best thing is...... You can still go to college while in the Corps, so you actually get the best of both worlds.

jm4magic, the only person whose opinion you should be concerned about is yourself. You are an adult and a man, now act like it and do what is in your heart, not someone elses...

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    It's clear your dad needs an education in the military, especially the proud heritage and tradition of the Marine Corps. And that's why I love this site. There are many Marines here who came from a variety of backgrounds as well as Poolees who enlisted to serve. And so what if some people enlist to escape poverty and do something with their lives? Isn't that what America is all about? Opporunity to do better in life, regardless of where you start off?
    Print up those articles that were posted here in the thread and show that to your dad. And hopefully some more statistics and anecdotal evidence of the kind of people who serve will be posted, too.

All I can say is my grandfather was a Marine and I couldn't be prouder of him and the eight years he gave to his country, the willingness to fight for freedom and all the rights and priveliges your dad unfortunately takes for granted.

I could write a novel about all the people I know who have served in the military who have gone on to great things and come from a variety of backgrounds. The military is not about socio-economic status. It is about service to your country, about patriotism, about protecting and defending the ideals we as Americans hold dear.

Quote Originally Posted by kovanfleet
    The criticism i get is not from family or friends its from the Marines i know. They all say its a big mistake and i should go back to college or be a poge when i get in. Most of them cant stand being in and count the days until there out, but i have a feeling it has something to do with them enlisting before 9/11 and getting sent to war a few times.
    And how many Marines might that be that you know? Probably 1 or 2. They are what we call Sh*t Birds in the Corps! They probably joined for the money or had a worthless recruiter that sold them on the technical aspects of their MOS. These recruiters exist and they will say anything to fill their quotas and not get a bad FitRep.

When I joined the Corps our country was not at war! When the sh*t hit the fan in Beirut I was quick to volunteer for deployment! Even though I had joined for a technical MOS, I still wanted the chance to go romp some raghead A**!

When we were evacuating several Embassies in Monrovia, Liberia during their revolution in 1990 I was a Sergeant of Marines and had troops that would wine and complain. They said they joined the Corps during peace time to earn the money for college. I simply told them they should've joined the Army or Navy. In the Corps you represent God & Country. USMC - U Signed The M-F'in Contract, shut up and fight! The same with the Sh*t Birds you know... What they need is a real good blanket party.

Associate yourself with real Marines and you will be a real Marine one day. Associate yourself with sh*tbirds and you will become one.

That's all I have to say!

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Simkins

Thumbs up

Wes:

Wow, my friend.. a GREAT post! No truer words.. good advice. I've met a few "****-birds" as well. Him and another buddy of mine are over in Iraq right now.. shipped a couple weeks back. GOD Bless 'Em!

Motivated,

-Jon

Quote Originally Posted by wsimkins
    And how many Marines might that be that you know? Probably 1 or 2. They are what we call Sh*t Birds in the Corps! They probably joined for the money or had a worthless recruiter that sold them on the technical aspects of their MOS. These recruiters exist and they will say anything to fill their quotas and not get a bad FitRep.

When I joined the Corps our country was not at war! When the sh*t hit the fan in Beirut I was quick to volunteer for deployment! Even though I had joined for a technical MOS, I still wanted the chance to go romp some raghead A**!

When we were evacuating several Embassies in Monrovia, Liberia during their revolution in 1990 I was a Sergeant of Marines and had troops that would wine and complain. They said they joined the Corps during peace time to earn the money for college. I simply told them they should've joined the Army or Navy. In the Corps you represent God & Country. USMC - U Signed The M-F'in Contract, shut up and fight! The same with the Sh*t Birds you know... What they need is a real good blanket party.

Associate yourself with real Marines and you will be a real Marine one day. Associate yourself with sh*tbirds and you will become one.

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Simkins

Quote Originally Posted by wsimkins

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Simkins
    I agree with you totaly Sergent i know 3 Marines personaly that say that and i meet one on myspace who has told me that. The 3 I know personaly are good guys they just dont seem motivated at all and i think they joined becuase they didnt have much elese to do after high school. I dont argue with them when i get that from them becuase i havent been there yet but, i plan to stay motovated and work hard throughout my career in the Marine Corps whether its 4, 20 or more years.

Sorry duplicate.

Credits
    Savings
    I agree with wsimkins. For every 1 Marine you will meet that is another Anthony Swofford, you will meet 100 that will always love the Corps forever.

Jameel:

I want to stress.. although I, and others may have said some rather nasty things about your father.. you MUST realize, there is nothing against you or anything you should be ashamed of.

You are a very HONORABLE and COURAGEOUS young man for deciding to serve your Country and (your soon-to-be) Corps!

Like I always say.. and feel.. God Bless ya.. and everyone like you. Poolees, Wannabe's, and MARINES alike.. GOD BLESS YA!

Stay Motivated, you got the Marine Corps on your side.. always remember that!!

You're a Poolee of Leatherneck.com .. you have no worries.. stay Motivated and stick to the GOAL!

Motivated,

-Jon

Quote Originally Posted by kovanfleet
    I agree with you totaly Sergent i know 3 Marines personaly that say that and i meet one on myspace who has told me that. The 3 I know personaly are good guys they just dont seem motivated at all and i think they joined becuase they didnt have much elese to do after high school.
    Tell'em to go flip burgers at McDonalds! Sounds like that's all their good for anyways! I love my Corps, tell'em don't bad mouth my Corps! To me they aren't worth a sh*t.

Thanks Jon. Keep your mind in the right place. The ones that bad mouth the Corps will more than likely miss it when they get out. Civilian life is a drag!

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Simkins

Jameel,

Your Father will come around. He loves you I'm sure and once he gets over the shell shock will support you 100%.

Semper Fi,

Sgt. Simkins

whoa whoa this isnt about me, lol I beleive I wrote "I want to know what some of the criticism you poolies are receiving from so called friends and family" thanks alot for the comments though. The only thing my dad gave me was life.

Credits
    Savings
    I make a whole lot more money now then I will as a PVT in the Corps. My reasons for joining have nothing to do with monetary gain. If I wanted to join the military for money I'd join the Army and get a part of their billion dollar enlistment bonus program.

I have a lot of ppl that make stupid comments about me joining, but as my sig. says, "Until they kill me" I'll do what I want. **** em!

Thread Information