Station sign thanks Marines in Lebanon
Operator's family returns safely from fighting
BY QUAN TRUONG | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

SPRINGFIELD TWP. - Gas prices usually grab the attention of drivers when they pass a service station. But this week, a different message drew attention at the Marathon station at Winton and West Galbraith roads.

The owner, a native of Lebanon, posted the message, "Peace not war. Thnx Marines 4 saving my family," after troops helped his daughter, ex-wife and her parents get out of that country this week. Jay Khansa runs the station on his own, opening the doors and locking up every night, seven days a week.

The sign thanking the Marines is displayed under the gas prices.

Not long after Khansa posted his message Tuesday morning, he said a jobber who provides the independent station with fuel from Marathon sent an e-mail asking him to take it down. He said he replied: "I'm glad you noticed my sign, but I'm going to keep it up."

Khansa said the jobber told him the board was not intended for political statements, but Khansa said he sees no harm in displaying his gratitude to the troops who helped his family get home safely.

A Marathon spokeswoman said Wednesday the jobber's sentiments were not consistent with company policy.

"We certainly support our troops and appreciate his thanking them for what they do. In no way would we have ever asked him to take it down," spokeswoman Linda Casey said. The statements from the jobber may have stemmed from an incident last week when a customer notified Marathon of political statements on Khansa's board, Casey said.

Khansa confirmed his board previously read, "Why collective punishment for Lebanon," last week but said he removed it days later.

Khansa's family left for Lebanon last month and had not been scheduled to return until mid-August. Faced with the dangers of living in a war zone, they decided to leave. With the help of Marines, they boarded the Orient Queen in Beirut, which took them to Cyprus.

From there, they rode a military plane to Germany and on to New Jersey. From there, two buses and a taxi took the family to New York, where they arrived Tuesday and got a flight to Houston, where they arrived Wednesday.

"I was worried sick about my family and I'm just glad they're home safe," Khansa said.

The 46-year-old's parents live amid the turmoil in Lebanon. Khansa said he is worried about his elderly parents, who have medical problems, although they have relocated to a presumably safer spot.

"My mother told me, 'We're old. Whatever happens, happens. If God wants us dead, we can't change that,' " Khansa said.

E-mail qtruong@enquirer.com

Ellie