Just one question.
Create Post

Just one question.

Well I have been seriously thinking of joining the marines this past month, and have always had a facination with the military since a young age. I kind of lost sight of it for a while and am now I and pretty much set on joining, but I have yet to talk to a recruiter. I am curious as to when you begin getting paid for being a marine. Is it after boot? during? When you begin serving after all of your training? Money is definatly NOT the reason I want to join, but I am currently 40k in debt at the moment, all because of a stupid car, which I have no problem selling, but would not mind keeping it if I can. I will not be joining until at least 6 months from now, and would like to know what I need to know long before hand. Thanks in advance, and I hope this was the right place for this.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Money would definitely not be the reason to join - everything starts the day you go to bootcamp - the pay (although you won't get to spend it like you want to in bootcamp), the time served, blah, blah, blah......................

Why DO you want to join the Corps?

I know this was quite a few years ago, but when I joined and went to PI, I called all my creditors and told them what I was doing. My recruiter told me I wouldn't get any money until graduation so I asked them what I could do. They all gave me a 6 month deferment and when I got to my first duty station I asked to start allotments. My creditors were extremely helpful when I told them I wanted to be a Marine.

If you are going to consider...

joining the Marines, the first thing you need to know is that it starts with a capital M.

Also, if you read any of the other posts on this site, you know it aint easy and it takes 110% committment. This isn't something to take lightly. You've taken a good step by asking some questions but I, like Marine84, would like to know why you want to join.

I can tell you that the Marine Corps does not cotton much to folks who can't pay their bills. I made a mistake balancing my checkbook once. I bounced a check on base. As soon as I got notice of it, I went and paid it off that morning. That afternoon I got called into the SgtMaj's office. Fortunately I was able to show proof I had already paid for the bounced check and fee's.

They are sure to do a background check on you before you join. They'll know about your debts, missed and late payments. If your car has you in debt to the point it's causing you problems then maybe you need to reconsider your priorities ... Marine Corps or not.

I'm not sure how pay works now. When I was in, I started earning my pay as soon as I was at boot. Though I didn't actually get paid until just before graduation. Someone else can probably answer that better than myself.

You say in the post you aren't joining for the pay. Yet the rest of your post all centers around money. The Marine Corps and boot is not an easy fix for money problems. As others have already asked, why DO YOU want to join the Marines. (If it's not money as stated above?) What can you do for the Marine Corps?

Angel

Credits
    Savings
    Sometimes in life you have to realize a poor investment and simply cut your losses
    ~Unknown

It sounds like you need to sell that car or whatever it is that's holding you back, like everybody says (you need to ask yourself, Why the Corps?) trust me.. you won't Get Rich also I'm not sure what kind of Marine you'll turn out too be if your Money driven.In some other threads it was asked why would anybody Join the army? I just don't get it... it's simple the army offers alot of opportunities and MONEY...

If you want too be in the Corps, You want too be a Marine you've heard the slogans "The Few, The Proud The Marines" it's not a punchline it's the truth.

Food for thought_ did you know that if any Marine on this website wanted too join another branch of Service for Some Unknown reason, that they would not have to go through the others boot camp because their Marines (13weeks), but if say a soldier wanted to join the Corps he/she will go through Parris Island or San Diego You can't touch the Marines.

I hope you figure it out Apex

As I stated before it is definatly not about the money, and the only reason why my post centered around it is that me being in debt is the only thing holding me back right now, that and I want to lose a little weight before going in. Like I said I would have no problem selling the car, but was just wondering if I would have to or not becuase I have negative equity, and owe more then its worth, but it wouldnt take long to get out of the debt. I know there is alot more to life then money, or a nice car or a bunch of crap that I work hard for that just end up owning me. I dont want to go into the Marines, and have alot of debt, but since the recruiter would know, then I guess I wouldnt have a choice, and would have to be debt free.

The reason why I want to join the Marines (sorry about the M, I tryed to go back and edit after my post, but it doesnt give me that option) is because one, I do not want to live the rest of my life doing some boring, bs job. I want to become something more then the average guy who works 9-5 doing the same thing, at the same place, with the same people. I want adventure. Something different. Two of course I want to defend my country when needed, and will do what it takes to do so when the time comes. three, I need a challenge in life. I'm the type of person that if someone says I cant do something, I will do it just for the sake of proving them wrong. And last, I want to be apart of the best. Originally I was thinking of the air force, and then after looking into it, and comparing the air force, and the Marines, and the army, I made my choice. I currently weigh 240 pounds, at 6 feet. I wouldnt say I am out of shape, I run 3 miles 3 times a week, I dont think under 21 minutes, but I can change that, and am at the gym 3 times a week as well and I have had this workout regiment for the past 8-9 months. I have only recently in the past two weeks been changing my eating habits so I could lose weight. I want to drop about 40 pounds because I dont want to be held back in boot camp because I am to fat.

I have been doing research on Marines, and boot camp. I've been reading about it, looking for whatever videos I could find, and there was also a special on tv called "Making Marines" that I watched, and I like every aspect of it (except maybe the repelling off that big structure, but I can overcome fears).I had a teacher in highschool thats a Marine, he even got called into duty soon after September 11. I always had the utmost respect for him. On the first day of class he made everyone stand up, and told us all we were dirt, and told us that if we wanted an easy class, we should leave right now. Of course I stayed, alot of freinds of mine left, and yeah it was only a highschool class, and far from boot camp, or bullets flying by your head in war. I saw one of my old teachers a while back, and asked about him. They said that the school got a new principal and didnt like the way he taught, too many kids complaining to their parents, and then the parent complaining to the school, and he got the boot. Anyways back on topic here, What do I have to offer the Marines? I can offer them myself and my service. I can do what I am told, and I can do it with integrity. I can push on no matter how tired, or how worn out, or how hungry I get. At this point there is no saying how I would react in a wartime situation, and since I have had no military training, I would probably run away like a little girl, but I am confident that once I am trained, and able to do my duty, that I can do it 110%.. well I am lying, I could do it 120%.

I was scared to death of the repelling tower. After the first time going down, I ran like hell to go back up and do it again as many times as they would let me get away with. You'll love it!!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I messed up going off of it the first time - I let go of the rope behind me and reached to grab it above me - if the DIs hadn't been there to pull that rope tight, I would have burned my fingerprints off sliding down it. Then, of course, I got yelled at all the way back up to the top where I had to do it again. It scares everybody cause the pine trees (well, if you're at Parris Island) look like a blanket from up there.

Didn't mean to imply that you have to be debt free. Matter of fact I understand some companies will work with you and defer payments if you contact them to explain that you are going to boot.

As for what you need to know? I wrote a long reply but decided a shorter answer is probably best. You'll be tested physically and mentally. There is a lot to do and learn and relatively short time to do it in. Not everyone will make it through. And even though there is a lot of information available, it's one of those things I don't think you can fully be prepared for. It's one of those things that has to be experienced. For those that experience it, it's one of those things never forgotten.

Best of luck on your decision.

Angel

Credits
    Savings
    Yeah I also was scared to death of the Tower and they saw that and I was that guy that had to do it two more times.. by the end Shoot I was Pro and it Fun after all that

Talking Repelling!

I LOVED all of the repelling stuff! It was so awesome! I could not wait until that part of bootcamp. I had the unfortunate experience of being behind a chick who was scared to death to go over no matter how may times they explained it to her. Sorry, but I really wanted to just push her off! LOL Atlast she FINALLY went over and she loved it!

Somebody one told me that if you hold the rope too tight with the hand that feeds the rope through the caribeaner, then it will pull your hand through and break your fingers. Thats probably the thing that I am most afraid of. After reading about bootcamp, and the things they do, thats probably the only one that makes me nervous. I bet it is one of those things that might make you nervous, until you do it then its fun.

You can have a problem with your fingers being pulled into the caribeaner, but it isn't all that common. We used to go repel for the fun of it before I enlisted, and I only saw it happen once, and I think the guy was trying to see if it actually could happen. Regardless, it isn't a big deal. You go up, you come down, and then you go on about your business.

Thread Information