Qualification for military service
Create Post

Qualification for military service

What disqualifies you from military service? What medications and conditions? Hospitilizations? If you were on some sort of a medication like prozac or something when you were younger does that disqualify you and if not what tests do you have to do?

Please fill in your profile so we know who we are answering. Thanks.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You could get disqualified for a plethora of stuff...................be a little more specific.

More specific

I was wondering how hard it is to enlist into the marines. I watched full metal jacket and there was that crazy guy who shot the drill instructor. Exactly how hard do they screen through the recruits. Are people with past mental health records allowed to enlist or could they lie about it and get in anyways? I am pretty sure you have to sign a release for all medical records but maybe they aren't too concerned about screening it intensely because of their access to criminal records and are assuming that if they didn't screw up with the law that they problably have a chance at making it through boot camp. How many crazy guys get let in?

You have to sign a waiver that allows the government access to your medical records. The chances of a real psychotic nut case making it through the screenings is extremely slim. Back in the old days they allowed just about anyone to enlist so they could send them to the front lines in WWII and such. You didn't need a birth certificate or high school diploma. The modern military is much different. The screenings are very thorough.

If you are a nut and trying to slip in the Corps, stay home cookie. We're looking for a Few GOOD Men.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I think all of us got labeled as crazy at one time or another - but, yeah, the screening process is way tougher these days. I just read on another thread some kid can't get in because his kidneys are throwing out too much protein? Back in my day the only thing they did with your urine was check it for drugs and even then a lot of us didn't pass the first one.

Seems like they wanted crazy people then....................

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    Back in my day the only thing they did with your urine was check it for drugs and even then a lot of us didn't pass the first one.
    Isn't that when your recruiter would let it slip for you to make sure you told them at MEPS you only tried it once?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    yeah something like that....................

Nah i'm not a nut case i was just wondering if i would be training with any because I wouldn't really like to die in boot camp because some wackjob slipped in, got homesick and shot up the camp. thanks for the answers

Quote Originally Posted by Danner0429
    Nah i'm not a nut case i was just wondering if i would be training with any because I wouldn't really like to die in boot camp because some wackjob slipped in, got homesick and shot up the camp. thanks for the answers
    In boot there are only a couple of weeks when we as recruits had access to live rounds. Even then everything was accounted for before heading back to the barracks. Our weapons were checked as well as ourselves and our pockets.

Oh, and in the movie? It's just that. It's a movie.

Angel

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Honey - you will meet PLENTY of wackjobs in bootcamp - those DIs are going to comb your a$$ after the rifle range though so NOBODY will have live ammo to do anything like what you saw in Full Metal Jacket. They may let you "babysit" that weapon, name it, treat it like a girlfriend but you won't carry the live ammo.

Most of the wackjobs I saw in bootcamp did things to themselves, rather than anybody else, trying to get out - burn themselves with irons, purposefully fall the wrong way to try to break a bone, stupid sh!t................

Drink the fabric softener trying to commit suicide. That was silly s**t. All they did was get sick, get their azz crawled and then we got to party on the quarter deck for them.

the real wack jobs you will meet wear smokey bear covers but dont worry they will treat you real nice

Credits
    Savings
    "lol" weak minded people that couldn't handle "My Corps, Your Corps our Corps" to the Marines in this thread. Danner you can watch as many movies as you want, read as many books as you would like but like "84" says theirs plenty of Wackjobs trying to claim the title.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    OK now I'm rolling laughing.......................DRINK THE FABRIC SOFTENER????? EEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW! Now THAT one wanted out BAD!

I liked watching the ones that got pushed to their limits with the yelling and going on all the time. This one chick from NY broke on a DI one day and it didn't take them 4 DIs 20 minutes to get rid of her - next thing we see her marching with all the crazies in the SEP Plt - she was on her way OFF Parris Island!

They'll test you like that - get all up in your grill yelling and going on and the whole time you could be thinking "I'm gonna smack this b!tch outta my face in a minute if she don't shut the hell up!" but...................if you do break - the Marines DON'T WANT YA! Cause if you can be "broke" just by somebody all up in your face yelling at you - what you gonna do if the enemy ever catches you? You gonna freak out and sing like a little yellow canary!

Every little stupid thing that a DI "tortures" you with is training of some kind to let you be able to handle something else. It will make you crazy or, at least, make you think you are. Like when they go ballistic because during a uniform inspection they find some minuscule string coming from a button and when they pull it, your button falls off and you FAIL inspection. It's to teach you to PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL - if you don't ever learn that you could possibly get somebody killed later because you forgot to hide a wire behind you and the enemy followed your trail.

Sorry...................I had bootcamp flashbacks - I should have known better than to try that acid when I was younger........................

Thread Information