President: George Washington
    Commandant of the USMC:
    Capt. Samuel Nicholas 1775-1781
    Manning of the USMC: 131 officers, 2000 enlisted
    USMC Causalities: Dead- 49, wounded-70
    Weapons Used:
    .75 cal. Brown Bess musket

In Congress, Resolve of 10 November 1775
    "Resolved, That two Battalions of marines be raised, Consisting of one Colonel, two Lieutenant Colonels, two Majors, and other officers as usual in other regiments; and that they consist of an equal number of privates with other battalions; that special care be taken, that no persons be appointed to office, or inlisted into said Battalions, but such as are good seamen, or so aquatinted with maritime affairs as to be able to serve to advantage by sea when required: that they be inlisted and commissioned to serve for and during the present war between Great Britain and the colonies, unless dismissed by order of Congress: that they be distinguished by the names of the first and second battalions of American Marines, and that they be considered as part of the number which the continental Army before Boston is ordered to consist of."

Campaigns and dates:

Raid on New Providence, Bahamas Mar. 2-3 1776
    Alfred and Cabot vs. Brit ship Glasgow, Apr. 6 1776
    Second Battle of Trenton Jan. 2 1777
    Battle of Princeton, Jan. 3 1777
    Reprisal vs Brit ship Swallow, Feb. 5 1777
    Hancock vs. Brit ship Fox Jun. 27 1777
    Raleigh vs. Brit ship Druid Sep. 4 1777
    Randolph vs. Brit ship Yarmouth Mar. 7 1778
    Boston vs. Brit ship Martha Mar. 11 1778
    Raid on Whitehaven, England Apr. 22, 1778
    Ranger vs. Brit Ship Drake Apr. 24, 1778
    Penobscott Expedition Jul. 24 to Aug. 14 1779
    Battle of Banks island Jul. 26 1779
    Battle of Majarbiguyduce Peninsula Jul. 23 - Aug. 13 1779
    Bonhomme Richard vs. Brit ship Serapis Sep. 23 1779
    Trumbull vs. Brit ship Watt Jun. 2 1780
    Alliance vs. Brit Ships Atlanta & Trepassy May 28-29 1781
    Congress vs. Brit ship Savage Sep. 6 1781
    Hyder Ally vs. Brit ship General Monk Apr. 8 1782
    Alliance vs. Brit ship Sybylle Jan. 20 1783
    Significant Events:

First USMC Amphibious landing
    First time American Flag raised on a facility captured by the Marines
    Captain S. Nicholas was the first officer of the Sea Services who's Commission was ratified by Congress
    The mission of the Corps of that time was to provide Boarding Parties, Landing Forces and internal security aboard the ship.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jump to Battle: Select Battle War of the American Revolution 1775-1783 Quasi War with France, or the French Naval War 1798-1801 War with Tripoli / Barbary Pirates 1801-1805 War of 1812 Battle of Twelve Mile Swamp (Florida) 1812 Battle of Quallah Batto (Sumatra) 1812 Florida Indian War 1836-1842 Mexican War 1846-1847 Commadore Perry's Expedition Harper's Ferry (Virginia) 1859 U.S. Civil War 1861-1865 (Both US & CSA Marine Corps) USS Wyoming in Straits of Shimonoseki (Japan) 1863 Battle of Salee River Forts (Korea) 1871 War with Spain 1898 Philippine Insurrection 1898 Battle of Tagalii (Samoa) 1899 Boxer Rebellion or China Relief Expedition 1900 Panama 1902 1st Nicaraguan Campaign 1912 Invasion of Veracruz (Mexico) 1914 Occupation of the Dominican Republic 1916-1924 Occupation of Haiti 1915-1934 World War I 1917-1918 2nd Nicaraguan Campaign 1927-1933 World War II 1941-1945 Police Action / UN Korea 1953 Lebanon 1958 Thailand 1962 Cuban Missile Crisis 1962 Dominican Republic Intervention 1965 Vietnam War 1962-1973 (Officially closed 1995) Operation Eagle Pull, Cambodia 1975 Operation Frequent Wind, Fall of Saigon 1975 Mayaguez Rescue Operation, Cambodia 1975 Iranian Hostage Rescue attempt Iran 1980 Grenada 1983 Beirut, Lebanon 1984 Occupation of Panama, Operation Just Cause 1989 Operation Sharp Edge, Liberia 1990 South West Asia, Kuwait Liberation 1991 Somalia 1991 Haiti 1991 Yugoslavia Non-combat operations

A Reminder

Marine Corps Leadership
    The Marines have always been recognized at producing good leaders. Below are some of the things that Marines not only must know, but they must demonstrate if they want to be a leader of Marines. All of these can be applied to any leadership position, whether it be as a Fire Team Leader, Platoon Sergeant, a Battalion Commander, a Fortune-500 CEO, or parent.

Leadership Principles
    Know yourself and seek self-improvement.

Be technically and tactically proficient.

Develop a sense of responsibility among your subordinates.

Make sound and timely decisions.

Set the example.

Know your Marines and look out for their welfare.

Keep your Marines informed.

Seek responsibility and take responsibility for your actions.

Ensure assigned tasks are understood, supervised, and accomplished.

Train your Marines as a team.

Employ your command in accordance with its capabilities.

Leadership Traits
    Dependability - The certainty of proper performance of duty.

Bearing - Creating a favorable impression in carriage, appearance and personal conduct at all times.

Courage - The mental quality that recognizes fear of danger or criticism, but enables a man to proceed in the face of it with calmness and firmness.

Decisiveness - Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner.

Endurance - The mental and physical stamina measured by the ability to withstand pain, fatigue, stress and hardship.

Enthusiasm - The display of sincere interest and exuberance in the performance of duty.

Initiative - Taking action in the absence of orders.

Integrity - Uprightness of character and soundness of moral principles; includes the qualities of truthfulness and honesty.

Judgment - The ability to weigh facts and possible solutions on which to base sound decisions.

Justice - Giving reward and punishment according to merits of the case in question. The ability to administer a system of rewards and punishments impartially and consistently.

Knowledge - Understanding of a science or an art. The range of one's information, including professional knowledge and an understanding of your Marines.

Tact - The ability to deal with others without creating offense.

Unselfishness - Avoidance of providing for one's own comfort and personal advancement at the expense of others.

Loyalty - The quality of faithfulness to country, the Corps, the unit, to one's seniors, subordinates and peers.

Troop Leading Steps (BAMCIS)
    Begin the planning - if you want to succeed at something you must plan

Arrange for reconnaissance - decide what things need to be researched to make your plan work

Make the reconnaissance - do the research

Complete the planning - make final modifications to your plan taking the information you gathered in the previous step into account

Issue Orders - delegate tasks and authority as needed (see SMEAC below)

Supervise - make sure that orders are understood and followed

5-Paragraph Order (SMEAC)
    Situation - describe what the current situation is

Mission - describe what the current mission is

Execution - describe how the mission will be carried out

Administration and Logistics - describe how administrative duties and logistical support will be handled

Command and Signals - describe who the persons in authority are and any special signals that need to be recognized

Three Leadership Styles
    Autocratic (Authoritarian)

Democratic (Persuasion)

Combination of both

[

A Reminder

Creeds

My Rifle - The Creed of a United States Marine
    by MGen William H. Rupertus, USMC Retired
    (written following the attack on Pearl Harbor)
    This is my rifle. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My rifle is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My rifle, without me, is useless. Without my rifle, I am useless. I must fire my rifle true. I must shoot straighter than my enemy who is trying to kill me. I must shoot him before he shoots me. I will...

My rifle and myself know that what counts in this war is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our burst, nor the smoke we make. We know that it is the hits that count. We will hit...

My rifle is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its sights and its barrel. I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against damage. I will keep my rifle clean and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until there is no enemy, but peace!

NCO Creed
    I am the backbone of the United States Marine Corps, I am a Marine Non-Commissioned Officer. I serve as part of the vital link between my commander (and all officers) and enlisted Marines. I will never forget who I am or what I represent. I will challenge myself to the limit and be ever attentive to duty. I am now, more than ever, committed to excellence in all that I do, so that I can set the proper example for other Marines. I will demand of myself all the energy, knowledge and skills I possess, so that I can instill confidence in those I teach. I will constantly strive to perfect my own skills and to become a good leader. Above all I will be truthful in all I say or do. My integrity shall be impeccable as my appearance. I will be honest with myself, with those under my charge and with my superiors. I pledge to do my best to incorporate all the leadership traits into my character. For such is the heritage I have received from that long, illustrious line of professionals who have worn the bloodstripe so proudly before me. I must give the very best I have for my Marines, my Corps and my Country for though today I instruct and supervise in peace, tomorrow, I may lead in war.

SNCO Creed
    I am a Staff Noncommissioned Officer in the United States Marine Corps. As such, I am a member of the most unique group of professional military practitioners in the world. I am bound by duty to God, Country and my fellow Marines to execute the demands of my position to and beyond what I believe to be the limits of my capabilities. I realize I am the mainstay of Marine Corps discipline, and I carry myself with military grace, unbowed by the weight of command, unflinching in the execution of lawful orders, and unswerving in my dedication to the most complete success of my assigned mission. Both my professional and personal demeanor shall be such that I may take pride if my juniors emulate me, and knowing perfection to lie beyond the grasp of any mortal hand, I shall yet strive to attain perfection that I may ever be aware of my needs and capabilities to improve myself. I shall be fair in my personal relations, just in the enforcement of discipline, true to myself and my fellow Marines, and equitable in my dealing with every man.

Drill Instructor's Creed
    These recruits are entrusted to my care. I will train them to the best of my ability. I will develop them into smartly disciplined, physically fit, basically trained Marines, thoroughly indoctrinated in love of Corps and Country. I will demand of them, and demonstrate by my own example, the highest standards of personal conduct, morality, and professional skill.

A Reminder

Commandant's Reading List

Pvt, PFC, LCpl
    Rifleman Dodd by Forester
    Starship Troopers by Heinlein
    A Message to Garcia by Hubbard
    The Bridge at Dong-Ha by Miller
    U.S. Marines: 1775-1975 by Simmons
    U.S. Constitution
    Fields of Fire by Webb

Cpl, Sgt
    The War of the Running Dogs: The Malayan Emergency, 1498-1962 by Barber
    The Old Man's Trail by Campbell
    Ender's Game by Card
    Uncommon Men: Sergeants Major of the Marine Corps by Chapin
    Red Badge of Courage by Crane
    Marine!: The Life of LtGen Lewis B. (Chesty) Puller, USMC (Ret) by Davis
    Fire in the Streets: The Battle for Hue, Tet, 1968 by Hammel
    Strong Men Armed: The United States Marines Against Japan by Leckie
    The Buffalo Soldiers: A Narrative of the Negro Calvary in the West by Leckie
    Soldier's Load and the Mobility of a Nation by Marshall
    The Right Kind of War by McCormick
    Battle Leadership by Von Schell
    The Defense of Duffer's Drift by Swinton
    Fix Bayonets! by Thomason
    Battle Cry by Uris

SSgt, WO-1, CWO-2, CWO-3, 2ndLt, 1stLt
    Band of Brothers: E Co., 506th Regiment, 101st Airborne: From Normandy to Hitler's Eagle Nest by Ambrose
    Pegasus Bridge: June 6, 1944 by Ambrose
    War in the Shadows: The Guerrilla in History by Asprey
    Common Sense Training: A Working Philosophy for Leaders by Collins
    On Infantry by English & Gudmundsson
    Grant & Lee: A Study in Personality and Generalship by Fuller
    How We Won the War by Giap
    American Gunboat Diplomacy and the Old Navy, 1877-1889 by Hagan
    Acts of War: The Behavior of Men in Battle by Holmes
    Flights of Passage: Reflections of a World War II Aviator by Hynes
    The Face of Battle by Keegan
    Terrorism Reader: A Historical Anthology by Laquer & Alexander
    Strategy Liddell by Hart
    Maneuver Warfare Handbook by Lind
    The Middle Parts of Fortune: Somme and Ancre, 1916 by Manning
    We Were Soldiers Once and Young: Ia Drang, the Battle that Changed the War in Vietnam by Moore & Galloway
    The U.S. Marine Corps Story by Moskin
    The Military: More than Just a Job by Moskos
    Operation Buffalo: USMC Fight for the DMZ by Nolan
    Challenge of Command: A Reading for Military Excellence by Nye
    Attacks by Rommel
    Iwo Jima: Legacy of War by Ross
    The Forgotten Soldier: The Classic WWII Autobiography by Sajer
    Firepower in Limited War by Scales
    The Killer Angels by Shaara
    Tarawa: The Story of a Battle by Sherrod
    Falls of Eagles by Sulzberg
    Arts of War (Sun Tzu) by Sun Tzu
    U.S. Constitution
    Unaccustomed to Fear: A Biography of the Late General Roy S. Gieger, United States Marine Corps by Willock

GySgt, MSgt, 1stSgt, CWO-4, Capt
    Battle Studies: Ancient and Modern Battle by Ardant du Picq
    Guerrilla Strategies: A Historical Anthology from the Long March to Afghanistan by Chailand
    The Breaking Point: Sedan and the Fall of France, 1940 by Doughty
    Street Without Joy by Fall
    Profession of Arms by Hackett
    Battle for the Falklands by Hastings
    Victory at High Tide: The Inchon Seoul Campaign by Heinl
    The War of the American Independence: Military Attitudes, Policies, and Practice by Higginbotham
    Once a Lengend: Red Mike Edson of the Marine Raiders by Hoffman
    Maneuver Warfare: An Anthology by Hooker
    Price of Glory: Verdun 1916 by Horne
    Infantry in Battle (U.S.) Infantry by School
    The U.S. Marines and Amphibious War: Its Theory, and its Practice in the Pacific by Isley & Crowl
    The Price of Admiralty: The Evolution of Naval Warfare by Keegan
    First to Fight: An Inside View of the U.S. Marine Corps by Krulak
    The Dynamics of Doctrine: The Changes in German Tactical Doctrine During the First World War by Lupfer
    Reminiscences by MacArthur
    Company Commander by MacDonald
    Mao Tse-Tung on Guerrilla Warfare by Mao Tse-Tung
    Defense of Hill 781 by McDonough
    Battle Cry of Freedom: The Civil War Era by McPherson
    Panzer Battles: A Study of the Employment of Armor in the Second World War by Mellenthin
    Company Command: The Bottom Line by Meyer
    Semper Fidelis: The History of the United States Marine Corps by Millett
    For the Common Defense: A Military History of the United States of America by Millett & Maslowski
    Gallipoli by Moorehead
    The Anatomy of Courage by Moran
    Once an Eagle by Myer
    Small Wars Manual by NAVMC 2890
    Follow Me, Human Element in Leadership by Newman
    No Victory, No Vanquished: Yom Kippur War by O'Ballance
    History of U.S. Military Logistics, 1935-1985; A Brief Review by Peppers
    Fortunate Son: The Autobiography of Lewis B. Puller, Jr. by Puller
    Landscape Turned Red: The Battle of Antietam by Sears
    With the Old Breed at Peleliu and Okinawa by Sledge
    Douglas Southall Freeman on Leadership by Smith
    On Strategy: A Critical Analysis of the Vietnam War by Summers
    The Easter Offensive, Vietnam, 1972 by Turley
    Airpower & Maneuver Warfare by Van Creveld

CWO-5, Maj
    Morale: A Study of Men and Courage by Baynes
    Grant Takes Command by Catton
    On War by Clausewitz
    Patton: A Genius for War by D'Este
    Hell in a Very Small Place: The Seige of Dien Bien Phu by Fall
    This Kind of War: A Study in Unpreparedness by Fehrenbach
    Guadalcanal: The Definitive Account by Frank
    Knight's Cross: A Life of Field Marshall Erwin Rommel by Fraser
    Forward Into Battle: Fighting Tactics from Waterloo to Vietnam by Griffith
    Che Guevara on Guerrilla Warfare by Guevara
    Chosin: Heroic Ordeal of the Korean War by Hammel
    George Washington & The American Military Tradition by Higginbotham
    Reminiscences of a Marine by Lejeune
    U.S. Marine Corps Aviation: 1912 to the Present by Mersky
    Makers of Modern Strategy: From Machiavelli to the Nuclear Age by Paret
    At Dawn We Slept: The Untold Story of Pearl Harbor by Prange
    Dieppe: The Shame and the Glory by Robertson
    It Doesn't Take A Hero by Schwarzkopf
    History of Marine Corps Aviation in WWII by Sherrod
    A People Numerous & Armed: Reflections on the Military Struggle for American Independence by Shy
    Defeat Into Victory by Slim
    Eagle Against The Sun: The American War With Japan by Spector
    Command in War by Van Creveld
    Supplying War: Logistics From Wallenstein to Patton by Van Creveld

MGySgt, SgtMaj, LtCol
    One Hundered Years of Seapower: The U.S. Navy, 1890-1990 by Bear
    Ultra in the West: The Normandy Campaign, 1944-1945 by Bennett
    The Quiet Warrior: A Biography of Admiral Raymond A. Spruance by Buell
    The Generals' War: The Inside Story of the Conflict in the Gulf by Gordon & Trainor
    The Years of MacArthur by James
    The U.S. Marine Corps and Defense Unification 1944-1947: The Politics of Survival by Keiser
    Eagle and Sword: The Federalists and the Creation of the Military Establishment in America by Kohn
    The Army in Vietnam by Krepinevich
    Personal Memoirs of Ulysses S. Grant by Long
    In Many a Strife: General Gerald C. Thomas and the U.S. Marines Corps, 1917-1956 by Millet
    The Making of Strategy by Murray
    Follow Me II: More on the Human Element in Leadership by Newman
    Moving Mountains: Lessons in Leadership and Logistics from the Gulf War by Pagonis
    How the War was Won by Travers
    Take That Hill: Royal Marines in the Falklands War by Vaux
    The Enlightened Soldier: Scharnhorst and the Militarische Gesellschaft in Berlin, 1801-1805 by White
    100 Days: The Memoirs of the Falklands by Woodard

Col
    The Supreme Commander: The War Years of General Dwight D. Eishenhower by Ambrose
    Foundation of Moral Obligation: The Stockdale Course by Brennan
    The Campaigns of Napoleon by Chandler
    Military Misfortunes: The Anatomy of Failure in War by Cohen
    General of the Army: George C. Marshall, Soldier and Statesman by Cray
    Seeds of Disaster: The Development of French Army Doctrine, 1919-1939 by Doughty
    Logistics in the National Defense by Eccles
    War Secerts in the Ether: The Use of Signals Intelligence by the German Military in WWII by Flicke
    The General by Forester
    From Beirut to Jerusalem by Friedman
    A Savage War of Peace: Algeria, 1954-1962 by Horne
    To Lose a Battle: France, 1940 by Horne
    The Rise and Fall of British Naval Mastery by Kennedy
    Military Innovation in the Interwar Period by Millett & Murray
    Luftwaffe by Murray
    A Democracy at War: America's Fight at Home and Abroad in WWII by O'Neil
    The 25-Year War: America's Military Role in Vietnam by Palmer
    Nimitz by Potter
    Korean War by Ridgeway
    A Bridge Too Far by Ryan
    The Marine Corps Search For a Mission 1880-1898 by Shulimson
    Race to the Swift: Thoughts on Twenty First Century Warfare by Simpkin
    Pershing, General of the Armies by Smythe
    The Peloponnesian War by Thucydides
    The Killing Ground: The Battle Army, The Western Front, & the Emergence of Modern Warfare by Travers
    Our Great Spring Victory: An Account of the Liberation of South Vietnam by Van Tien Dung
    Once a Marine: The Memoirs of General A. A. Vandergrift, USMC by Vandergrift
    Eisenhower's Lieutenants: The Campaign of France and Germany, 1944-1945 by Weigly

BGen, MajGen, LtGen, Gen
    Lejeune: A Marine's Life, 1867-1942 by Bartlett
    Generalship, Its Diseases and Their Cure: A Study of the Personal Factor in Command by Fuller
    The Best and the Brightest by Halberstam
    On the Origins of War and the Preservation of Peace by Kagan
    The Rise and Fall of the Great Powers: Economic Change and Military Conflict from 1500-2000 by Kennedy
    Diplomacy by Kissenger
    GIAP: The Victor in Vietnam by MacDonald
    In Retrospect: The Tragedy and Lessons of Vietnam by McNamara
    A Woman at War: Storming Kuwait with the U.S. Marines by Moore
    Airwar in the Persian Gulf by Murray
    FOLLOW ME III: Lessons on the Art and Science of High Command by Newman
    My American Journey by Powell
    Memoirs of General W. T. Sherman by Royster
    Maverick Marine: General Smedley Butler and the Contradictions of American Military History by Schmidt
    A Bright Shining Lie: John Paul Vann and America in Vietnam by Sheehan
    The Nightingale's Song by Timberg
    No Bended Knee by Twining

A Reminder

Tun Tavern and the U.S. Marine Corps
    On the 10th of November in 1775, the Continental Congress passed a resolution which said in part:
    "...Resolved, that two battalions of Marines be raised, consisting of one colonel, two lieutenant colonels, two majors, and other officers as usual in other regiments; and that they consist of an equal number of privates with other battalions; that particular care be taken, that no persons be appointed to office, or enlisted into said battalions, but such as are good seamen, or so acquainted with maritime affairs as to be able to serve to advantage by sea when required; that they be enlisted and commissioned to serve for and during the present war between Great Britain and the Colonies, unless dismissed by order of Congress; that they be distinguished by the names of the first and second battalions of American Marines..."

With that resolution the Continental Marines were officially born. November 10th is still celebrated today as the Marine Corps Birthday.

On November 28th, 1775, Samuel Nicholas was commissioned a captain in the Continental Marines, and was charged with raising a part of the body of Marines which Congress had specified. Captain Nicholas remained the senior Marine officer throughout the Revolution and so is traditionally considered to be the first Commandant. Another officer that was appointed was Robert Mullan who happened to be the proprietor of Tun Tavern in Philadelphia. Supposedly, his appointment came as a result of his success as a recruiter and the importance of Tun Tavern as a recruiting station. It is also thought that the resolution passed by the Continental Congress that established the Marines, was written in Tun Tavern because the second floor of the tavern was the meeting place of the Naval Committee of Congress. Therefore, Tun Tavern and the birth of the Marines are forever intertwined together.

A Reminder

Marine Corps Mission

The Marine Corps, within the Department of the Navy, shall be so organized as to include not less than three combat divisions and three air wings, and such other land combat, aviation and other services as may be organic therein.

The Marines Corps shall be organized, trained, and equipped to provide fleet marine forces of combined arms, together with supporting air components, for service with the fleet in the seizure or defense of advanced naval bases and for the conduct of such land operations as may be essential to the prosecution of a naval campaign.

In addition, the Marine Corps shall provide detachments and organizations for service on armed vessels of the Navy, shall provide security detachments for the protection of naval property at naval stations and bases, and shall perform such other duties as the President may direct. However, these additional duties may not detract from or interfere with the operations for which the Marine Corps is primarily organized.

The Marine Corps shall develop, in coordination with the Army and the Air Force, those phases of amphibious operations that pertain to the tactics, techniques, and equipment used by landing forces.

The Marine Corps is responsible, in accordance with integrated joint mobilization plans, for the expansion of peacetime components of the Marine Corps to meet the needs of war.

A Reminder

Marine Corps and other Military Quotes

Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a difference in the world, but the Marines don't have that problem.

Ronald Reagan, President of the United States of America

I have just returned from visiting the Marines at the front, and there is not a finer fighting organization in the world!

General Douglas MacArthur, US Army

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

General George Patton, US Army

The battle of Iwo Jima has been won. Among the Americans who served on Iwo, uncommon valor was a common virtue.

Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, USN

The man who will go where his colors will go, without asking, who will fight a phantom foe in a jungle and mountain range, without counting, and who will suffer and die in the midst of incredible hardship, without complaint, is still what he has always been, from Imperial Rome to sceptered Britain to Democratic America. He is the stuff of which legions are made. His pride is his colors and his regiment, his training hard and thorough and coldly realistic, to fit him for what he must face, and his obedience is to his orders. As a legionary, he held the gates of civilization for the classical world...he has been called United States Marine.

Lieutenant Colonel T.R. Fehrenbach, US Army in "This Kind of War"

Marines are about the most peculiar breed of human beings I have ever witnessed. They treat their service as if it was some kind of cult, plastering their emblem on almost everything they own, making themselves up to look like insane fanatics with haircuts to ungentlemanly lengths, worshipping their Commandant almost as if he was a god, and making weird animal noises like a band of savages. They'll fight like rabid dogs at the drop of a hat just for the sake of a little action, and are the cockiest SOB's I have ever known. Most have the foulest mouths and drink well beyond man's normal limits, but their high spirits and sense of brotherhood set them apart and , generally speaking, of the United States Marines I've come in contact with, are the most professional soldiers and the finest men I have had the pleasure to meet.

An Anonymous Canadian Citizen

Old breed? New breed? There's not a damn bit of difference so long as it's the Marine breed.

Lieutenant General Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

George Orwell

The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle!

General Pershing, US Army

The more Marines I have around the better I like it!

General Mark Clark, US Army

You don't hurt 'em if you don't hit 'em.

Lieutenant General Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, USMC

Being ready is not what matters. What matters is winning after you get there.

Lieutenant General Victor H. Krulak, USMC

I still need Marines who can shoot and salute. But I need Marines who can fix jet engines and man sophisticated radar sets, as well.

General Robert E. Cushman, Jr., USMC

The morale of soldiers comes from three things: a feeling that they have an important job to do, a feeling that they are trained to do it well, and a feeling that their good work is appreciated and recognized.

Unknown

Come on you bastards, do you want to live forever?

Gunnery Sergeant Dan Daly, USMC

To ERR is human, to FORGIVE divine. HOWEVER, neither is Marine Corps Policy.

Unknown

The Marines have landed, and the situation is well in hand.

Richard Harding Davis, war correspondent (1885)

This will be the bloodiest fight in Marine Corps history. We'll catch seven kinds of hell on the beaches, and that will be just the beginning. The fighting will be fierce, and the casualties will be awful, but my Marines will take the damned island. (concerning the upcoming attack on Iwo Jima)

Lieutenant General Holland M. "Howlin' Mad" Smith, USMC

Victory was never in doubt. Its cost was...What was in doubt, in all our minds, was whether there would be any of us left to dedicate our cemetery at the end, or whether the last Marine would die knocking out the last Japanese gun and gunner. (In reference to the Battle of Iwo Jima)

Major General Graves B. Erskine, USMC

The raising of that flag means a Marine Corps for the next five hundred years. (concerning the flag raising at Mt. Suribachi)

James Forrestal, Secretary of the Navy

A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons.

Admiral David Porter, USN

Casualties many; Percentage of dead not known; Combat efficiency: we are winning!

Colonel David M. Shoup, USMC

I can never again see a United States Marine without experiencing a feeling of reverence.

General Johnson, US Army

We're not retreating, Hell! We're just attacking in different direction!

General Oliver Smith, USMC

We have two companies of Marines running all over this island and thousands of Army troops doing nothing!

General John Vessey, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff

Retreat hell! We just got here!

Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC

The safest place in Korea was right behind a platoon of Marines. LORD, how they could fight!

Major General Frank Lowe, US Army

Panic sweeps my men when they are facing the American Marines.

A captured North Korean Major

A Reminder

Marine Corps Slogans

Semper Fidelis
    This is the OFFICIAL Marine Corps motto. It means, "Always Faithful". Marines have proven this motto to be true by the fact that there has never been a mutiny among U.S. Marines. It is also the motto of England's Devonshire Regiment. Prior to its adoption by the USMC around 1883, there were three other TRADITIONAL mottos.

Fortitudine
    this was the first TRADITIONAL motto and it began usage around 1812. It means, "With Fortitude".

By Sea and by Land
    this was the second TRADITIONAL motto. It is a direct translation of the Royal Marines motto, "Per Mare, Per Terram".

To the Shores of Tripoli
    the third TRADITIONAL motto was used until 1848 to commemorate Lieutenant Presley O'Bannon's capture of Derne in 1805. In 1848, after the capture of Mexico City, this motto was changed to, "From the halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli".

Every Marine a Rifleman
    In other words, every Marine, regardless of specialty, is fundamentally the same. All are forged from a common experience, share a common set of values, and are trained as a cohesive air-ground team from the moment they join the Corps.

First of Foot, and Right of the Line
    On 9 August 1876, the Secretary of the Navy honored the Marine Corps by giving them the place of honor, at the head of column, or right of line in a naval formation.

Tell it to the Marines
    In 1644, Charles II, King of England was told a story about "Fish that fly like birds" by a returning ship's master. The king replied, "I have my doubts!" Sir William Killigren, colonel of the new British Marine regiment that was just raised that year said, "Nay, Sire, it is true. I have myself seen flying fish many a time in southern waters. I vouch for the truth of this strange tale, your Majesty." The monarch then told his Secretary of Admiralty, "Mr. Pepys, no class of our subjects hath such knowledge of odd things on land and sea as our Marines. Hereafter, when we hear a yarn that lacketh likelihood, we will tell it to the Marines. If they believe it, then we shall know it is true."

Retreat Hell! We just got here.
    On May 28th, 1918, 2nd Battalion, 5th Marines of the 4th Marine Brigade were sent to help in the Belleau Wood sector. As they were approaching they were met by the French Commander of the troops that were already there who advised Marine Colonel Wendell C. Neville that the discreet thing to do was retreat. Neville's reply was a characteristic "Retreat Hell! We just got here!" They stayed and drove the numerically superior Germans out of Belleau Wood and other strong holds. It was here that the ferocious fighting that the Marines displayed caused the Germans to start referring to the Marines as "Teufelhunden", which means, "Devil Dogs".

First to Fight
    This slogan started appearing on recruiting posters in World War I. Marines have been at the forefront of EVERY American war since their inception. On this historical record of readiness, this slogan constitutes the Marines' pride, responsibility and challenge.

Once a Marine, Always a Marine!
    Once a person successfully completes their basic training, they have earned the title of United States Marine forever. Even after discharge or retirement they are still a Marine - still a part of the Band of Brothers.

A Reminder

Band of Brothers

1. All Marines are entitled to dignity and respect as individuals, but must abide by common standards established by proper authority.

2. A Marine should never lie, cheat, or steal from a fellow Marine or fail to come to his aid in time of need.

3. All Marines should contribute 100% of their abilities to the unit’s mission. Any less effort by an individual passes the buck to someone else.

4. A unit, regardless of size, is a disciplined family structure, with similar relationships based on mutual respect among members.

5. It is essential that issues and problems which tend to lessen a unit’s effectiveness be addressed and resolved.

6. A blending of separate cultures, varying educational levels, and different social backgrounds is possible in an unselfish atmosphere of common goals, aspirations, and mutual understanding.

7. Being the best requires common effort, hard work, and teamwork. Nothing worthwhile comes easy.

8. Every Marine deserves job satisfaction, equal consideration and recognition of his accomplishments.

9. Knowing your fellow Marine well enables you to learn to look at things, through his eyes, as well as your own.

10. Issues detracting from the efficiency and sense of well being of an individual should be surfaced and weighed against the impact on the unit as a whole.

11. It must be recognized that a brotherhood concept depends on all members belonging-- being fully accepted by others within.

A Reminder

Nicknames for U.S. Marines

Leatherneck
    This name originates from the stiff leather stock that early Marines wore around their necks, probably to protect their jugular vein against saber blows

Devil Dog
    The Germans after the battle at Belleau Wood in World War I called the Marines "Teufelhunden", which translates as Devil Dog, because of the fierce fighting that the Marines demonstrated

Jarhead
    This was a slang term used by sailors in World War II because Marines in their Dress Blues with the stiff collar resembled Mason Jars

The President's Own
    Used in reference to the Marine Band located in Washington, D.C., because they play at all the official White House ceremonies; it could easily refer to all Marines because the U.S. Marine Corps Mission states in part that the Marines "shall perform such other duties as the President may direct"

Gyrene
    formed from the combination of G.I. and Marine

America's (The World's) 911 Force
    The Marine Corps has earned this nickname by being the first forces called in a crisis. During the Cold War, Marines were called upon to protect our nation's interests on an average of once every 15 weeks. Since 1990, Marines have responded once every 5 weeks, an increase in taskings by a factor of three.

Faresta
    "Sea Angels" - this name was given to Marines by the Bangladeshi flood victims in 1991

A Reminder

Veterans

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye.

Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg - or perhaps another sort of inner steel: the soul's alloy forged in the refinery of adversity.

Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem.

You can't tell a vet just by looking.

What is a Vet?

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is outweighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

She - or - he is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.

He is the POW who went away one person and came back another - or didn't come back AT ALL.

He is the Quantico drill instructor who has never seen combat - but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

He is the carrier pilot landing on a rolling, pitching, heaving flight deck during a rain squall in the pitch-black night of the Tonkin Gulf.

He is the parade-riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

He is the career quartermaster (Army Supply Corps) who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.

He is the Army Ranger who humps endless miles of burning sand for three days with no sleep or food and very little water to designate targets for laser guided bombs or swims through a disease infested swamp and crawls over poisonous snakes under the cover of darkness to conduct intelligence on a foreign government hostile to our own and our cherished way of life.

He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of The Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's unless deep.

He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket - palsied now and aggravatingly slow - who helped liberate a Nazi death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being - a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

He is a soldier and a savior and a sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more than the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say Thank You. That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded.

Two little words that mean a lot, "THANK YOU".

See top 25 Marine Corps sites, USMC Homepage,

A Reminder

A little history. Text of Revolutionary War recruiting poster.

GREAT ENCOURAGEMENT
    AMERICAN REVOLUTION
    What a Brilliant Prospect does this Event Present to every Lad of Spirit who is inclined to try his Fortune in this highly renowned Corps.
    The Continental Marines
    When every thing that swims the Seas must be a
    PRIZE!
    Thousands are at this moment endeavoring to get on Board Privateers where they will serve without pay or reward of any kind whatsoever, so certain does their chance appear of enriching themselves by PRIZE MONEY! What an enviable Station then must the CONTINENTAL MARINE hold,--- who with far superior advantages to these, has the additional benefit of liberal Pay, and plenty of the best Provisions, with a good and well appointed Ship under him, the Pride and Glory of the Continental Navy; surely every Man of Spirit must blush to remain at Home in Inactivity and Indolence when his Country needs his Assistance.

Where then can he have such a fair opportunity, reaping Glory and Riches in the Continental Marines, a Corps daily acquiring new Honors, and here, once embarked in American Fleet, he finds himself in the midst of Honor and Glory, surrounded by a set of fine fellows, Strangers to Fear, and who strike Terror through the Hearts of their Enemies wherever they go!

He has likewise the inspiring idea to know, that while he sails the Ocean to protect the Liberty of these states, that the Thanks and good Wishes of the whole American people shall send him forth on his mission and participate in his Glory. Lose no Time, then, my Fine Fellows, in embracing the glorious Opportunity that awaits you: YOU WILL RECEIVE
    Seventeen Dollars Bounty.
    And on your Arrival at Head Quarters be comfortably and genteely CLOTHED. And spirited young BOYS, of a promissing Appearance, who are Five Feet Six Inches High, will receive TEN DOLLARS, and equal Advantage of PROVISIONS and CLOTHING with the Men. And those who wish only to enlist for a limited Service, shall receive a Bounty of SEVEN DOLLARS, and Boys FIVE. In fact, the Advantages which the MARINE receives are too numerous to mention here, but among the many, it may not be amiss to state --- that if he has a WIFE or aged PARENT, he can make them an Allotment of half his PAY which will be regularly paid without any Trouble to them, or to whomever he may direct, that being well Fed and Clothed on Board Ship, the remainder of his PAY and PRIZE MONEY will be placed in Reserve for the Relief of his Family or his own private Purposes. The Single Young Man, on his Return to Port, finds himself compelled to cut a Dash on Shore, with his GIRL and his GLASS, that might be envied by a Nobleman. Take Courage then, seize the Fortune that awaits you, repair to the MARINE RENDEVOUS, where on a FLOWING BOWL of PUNCH, on Three Times Three, you shall drink.
    Long Live the United States and Success to the Marines
    The Daily Allowance of a Marine when embarked is One Pound of BEEF or PORK. One Pound of BREAD. Flour, Raisins, Butter, Cheese, Oatmeal, Molasses, Tea, Sugar, &c. &c. And a Pint of the best WINE, or half a Pint of the Best RUM or BRANDY, together with a Pint of LEMONADE. They make Liberty in warm countries, a plentiful Allowance of the choicest FRUIT. And what can be more handsome than the Marines' Proportion of PRIZE MONEY, when a Sergeant shares equal with the Fleet Class of Petty Officers, such as Midshipmen, Petty Officers, &c. which is five shares each; a Corporal with the Second Class, which Is Three Shares each; and the Private with the Able Seaman, one Share and a Half each.

Desiring Greater Particulars, and a more full account of the many Advantages of this Invaluable Corps, apply to CAPTAIN MULLAN at TUN TAVERN, where the bringer of a Recruit will receive THREE DOLLARS.

January, 1776

See scuttle butt and small chow

A Reminder

Melville's look at Marines aboard ship. 1840's

U.S. frigate United States

Excerpts from
    White Jacket, or Life Aboard a Man-of-War
    In my reading, recently, I came across the following descriptions of Marines aboard a man-of-war in the 1840s. The writer is Herman Melville, and the passage is from his novel White Jacket; or The World in a Man-of-War. The novel, which is filled with accurate & closely-observed particulars, grew from his experiences aboard the US frigate United States, on which he shipped as an ordinary seaman in 1843. While fiction, White Jacket is, in fact, probably the single most comprehensive and accurate portrait we have of the daily life aboard a U.S. Navy frigate in the mid-19th-century. This accuracy applies not only to the details of ship and shipboard life, but to the individual sailors and Marines themselves. Rear Admiral S.R. Franklin, author of Memories of a Rear-Admiral Who Has Served for More Than Half a Century in the Navy of the United States, and who himself served aboard the United States on a Pacific cruise in 1842, vouched for the veracity of Melville's portraits, writing: "He (Melville) gives no names, but to any one who served in the Frigate United States it was easy to recognise the men by their sobriquets."

Although a novel, White Jacket was sufficiently respected as a piece of accurate reportage in its own day that advocates for the prohibition of flogging in the U.S. Navy placed a copy of the book on the desks of every member of Congress, among whom Melville's graphic descriptions of flogging proved so influential that they proceeded to restrict the practice in 1853 and then to prohibit it entirely in 1862.

The Marines' Mess

"And now, to do myself justice, I must add that, the next day, I was received with open arms by a glorious set of fellows~ Mess No. 1!~ numbering, among the rest, my noble Captain Jack Chase (a highly respected individual and Captain of the Maintop). This mess was principally composed of the headmost men of the gun-deck; and, out of a pardonable self-conceit, they called themselves the "Forty-two-pounder Club;" meaning that they were, one and all, fellows of large intellectual and coporeal calibre. Their mess-cloth was well located. On their starboard hand was Mess No. 2, embracing sundry rare jokers and high livers, who waxed gay and epicurean over their salt fare, and were known as the "Society for the Destruction of Beef and Pork." On the larboard hand was Mess No. 31, made up entirely of fore-top-men, a dashing, blaze-away set of men-of-war's-men, who called themselves the "Cape Horn Snorters and Neversink Invincibles." Opposite, was one of the marine messes, mustering the aristocracy of the marine corps~the two corporals, the drummer and fifer, and some six or eight rather gentlemanly privates, native-born Americans, who had served in the Seminole campaigns of Florida; and they now enlivened their salt fare with stories of wild ambushes in the Everglades; and one of them related a surprising tale of his hand-to-hand encounter with Osceola, the Indian chief, whom he fought one morning from daybreak till breakfast time. This slashing private also boasted that he could take a chip from between your teeth at twenty paces; he offered to bet any amount on it; and as he could get no one to hold the chip, his boast remained for ever good."

Corporal Colbrook Promenades at his Leisure

"Still another mode of passing time (while anchored in harbor), was arraying yourself in your best togs and promenading up and down the gundeck, admiring the shore scenery from the port-holes, which, in an amphitheatrical bay like Rio ~ belted about by the most varied and charming scenery of hill, dale, moss, meadow, court, castle, tower, grove, vine, vineyard, aqueduct, palace, square, island, fort ~ is very much like lounging round a circular cosmorama, and ever and anon lazily peeping through the glasses here and there. Oh! there is something worth living for, even in our man-of-war world; and one glimpse of a bower of grapes, though a cable's length off, is almost satisfaction for dining off a shank-bone salted down.

This promenading was chiefly patronised by the marines, and particularly by Colbrook, a remarkably handsome and very gentlemanly corporal among them. He was a complete lady's man; with fine black eyes, bright red cheeks, glossy jet whiskers, and a refined organisation of the whole man. He used to array himself in his regimentals, and saunter about like an officer of the Coldstream Guards, strolling down to his club in St. Jame's. Every time he passed me, he would heave a sentimental sigh, and hum to himself The girl I left behind me. This fine corporal afterward became a representative in the Legislature of the State of New Jersey; for I saw his name returned about a year after my return home.

But, after all, there was not much room, while in port, for promenading, at least on the gun-deck, for the whole larboard side is kept clear for the benefit of the officers, who appreciate the advantages of having a clear stroll fore and aft; and they well know that the sailors had much better be crowded together on the other side than that the set of their own coat-tails should be impaired by brushing against their tarry trowsers."

Corporal Colbrook's Gallant & Timely Intercession

Later in the tale, the narrator, "White Jacket", encounters this same Marine again, albeit under greatly changed circumstances. White Jacket has been arraigned at the mast under the grave charge of being absent at his station during a tacking of the ship. The fault, in fact, lies with the First Lieutenant, who has failed to inform him of his station but, in attempting to defend himself, White Jacket has managed to offend the ship's Captain who is now on the verge of ordering him flogged. Rather than submit to this degrading ordeal, White Jacket is actually about to lunge at the Captain and pitch the both of them overboard. It is at this critical juncture that the Marine makes his reappearance:

"'Captain Claret,' said a voice advancing from the crowd. I turned to see who this might be, that audaciously interposed at a juncture like this. It was the same remarkably handsome and gentlemanly corporal of marines , Colbrook, who has been previously alluded to, in the chapter describing killing time in a man-of-war.

'I know that man,' said Colbrook, touching his cap, and speaking in a mild, firm, but extremely deferential manner; 'and I know that he would not be found absent from his station, if he knew where it was.'

This speech was almost unprecedented. Seldom or never before had a marine dared to speak to the Captain of a frigate in behalf of a seaman at the mast. But there was something so unostentatiously commanding in the calm manner of the man, that the Captain, though astounded, did not in any way reprimand him. The very unusualness of his interference seemed Colbrook's protection.

Taking heart, perhaps, from Colbrook's example, Jack Chase (the highly respected Captain of the Maintop) interposed, and in a manly but carefully respectful manner, in substance repeated the corporal's remark, adding that he never found me wanting in the top.

The Captain looked from Chase to Colbrook, and from Colbrook to Chase ~ one the formost man among the seamen, the other the foremost man among the soldiers ~ then all round upon the packed and silent crew, and, as if a slave to Fate, though supreme Captain of a frigate, he turned to the First Lieutenant, made some indifferent remark, and saying to me you may go, sauntered aft into his cabin; while I, who, in the desperation of my soul, had just escaped being a murderer and a suicide, almost burst into tears of thanksgiving where I stood."

A Reminder

~ General Instructions to Marine Guard ~
    ~ July 1st, 1878 (on board the USS Alliance) ~

General Instructions

Implicit obedience to all orders is strictly enjoined.

Non.com. officers must be treated with respect and their orders obeyed.

Should any member of the Guard feel himself possessed of any just cause of complaint, he will apply to the 1st Sergeant for permission to state his case to his superior officer ~ On the other hand, grumbling, insolence or insubordinate conduct in any shape, will meet with instant and severe punishment.

While it is enjoined upon the guard to be civil to the crew, skylarking, or intimacy of any kind with the sailors cannot be tolerated, as such conduct is prejudicial to the good order and discipline of the ship ~

It is the duty of any member of the guard when they see men fighting to immediately separate them, and assist the Master-at-arms and Non.Com. Officers of the guard in bringing them to the Mast.

No article of clothing will be altered or destroyed except by permission of the Comdg. Officer of the Guard.

Loaning, trading, selling, or exchanging articles of clothing is strictly prohibited unless by permission of the Comdg. Marine Officer.

Frequent inspections will be had of the Guards clothing, and the men will be held to account for all articles issued to them.

Members of the Guard wishing to see the Comdg. Off. of the guard, will notify the 1st Sergeant before morning inspection.

All request for liberty must pass through the 1st Sergt., and all liberty or visiting men must report their return to him immediately after their return on board ~

Any member of the guard desiring to see the Doctor must notify the 1st Sergt. By 8 am ~

All members of the guard are enjoined to yield on all occasions a willing, cheerful and prompt obedience to those placed over them; to avoid difficulties with each other or quarreling with sailors; to be always neat and tidy, and to contribute all in their power to promote harmony & order ~

At all assembly's of the guard every dutiable man must be on deck before the guard is formed ~

The arms will not be taken apart unless by permission of the Comdg. Marine Officer ~

Lost arms or accoutrements will be charged against the accounts of looser if caused by his neglect ~

All clothing will be marked with the owners name in full ~

Every member of the guard on reaching the quarter-deck either from a boat or below, or on leaving it to go over the side, will salute the deck ~

A Reminder

another recruiting poster

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	marine recruiting poster 1.jpg‎
Views:	518
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	22  

Thread Information