ACLU Sues for Anti-Gay Group That Pickets at Troops' Burials
Create Post

Thumbs down ACLU Sues for Anti-Gay Group That Pickets at Troops' Burials

ACLU Sues for Anti-Gay Group That Pickets at Troops' Burials
    By Garance Burke
    Associated Press
    Sunday, July 23, 2006; A02

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- A Kansas church group that protests at military funerals nationwide filed suit in federal court, saying a Missouri law banning such picketing infringes on religious freedom and free speech.

The American Civil Liberties Union filed the lawsuit Friday in the U.S. District Court in Jefferson City, Mo., on behalf of the fundamentalist Westboro Baptist Church, which has outraged mourning communities by picketing service members' funerals with signs condemning homosexuality.

The church and the Rev. Fred Phelps say God is allowing troops, coal miners and others to be killed because the United States tolerates gay men and lesbians.

Missouri lawmakers were spurred to action after members of the church protested in St. Joseph, Mo., last August at the funeral of Army Spec. Edward L. Myers.

The law bans picketing and protests "in front of or about" any location where a funeral is held, from an hour before it begins until an hour after it ends. Offenders can face fines and jail time.

A number of other state laws and a federal law, signed in May by President Bush, bar such protests within a certain distance of a cemetery or funeral.

In the lawsuit, the ACLU says the Missouri law tries to limit protesters' free speech based on the content of their message. It is asking the court to declare the ban unconstitutional and to issue an injunction to keep it from being enforced, which would allow the group to resume picketing.

"I told the nation, as each state went after these laws, that if the day came that they got in our way, that we would sue them," said Phelps's daughter Shirley L. Phelps-Roper, a spokeswoman for the church in Topeka, Kan. "At this hour, the wrath of God is pouring out on this country."

Scott Holste, a spokesman for Missouri Attorney General Jay Nixon, said, "We're not going to acquiesce to anything that they're asking for in this lawsuit."

The suit names Nixon, Gov. Matt Blunt (R) and others as defendants.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Aclu

What can we expect from a group founded by an admitted communist. They still won't use their real name:

The American Communists and Liberals Union.

Christians that impose on the families of the dead just to make a point. Fundamentalist Baptist, they are the bastard children that couldn't stirr enough s**t in the Southern Baptist ranks so they had to branch and make a name for themselves.

I am revising my will tomorrow. I want the honor guard to carry live ammo instead of blanks. If these a**holes get near my funeral, I want the 21 gun salute aimed at them!!!!!!!!!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Here is a thought...

What if, we, as Marines, converged at one of these fundamentalist baptists funerals.
    We could all hold signs saying God wanted so and so dead cause of your protesting.

And then, unfortunately, we would be stepping to their level and disrepecting the dead.

As an independent Baptist, this disheartens me. They do have the right to protest, as does anyone else, but this is NOT the appropriate manner for presenting sins to a nation. It is a disgrace to all who firmly believe the KJ Bible.
    Now, I sure hope that the change in law does take affect regarding how the aclu obtains its monies, because I am sick and tired of my tax dollars going to them. I have not found one cause for which they are fighting with which I agree.

Does anyone have any Idea home many of these *******s acually go our peoples funerals .I can not understand why a family member ,or friend has not just lost it on these scum . I honestly don"t think I"d be able to control myself. This is not just disrespectful,its a frigin outrage

Marine Spouse Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I thought I heard that the President has proposed (and
    Congress had passed?) a bill that would ban such
    demonstrations at military funerals.Maybe it's still in
    the Congress, but I know there is one.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Funeral Protests

Several states have passed laws regarding these protests. Kentucky is also being sued by the communists and liberals too. Other suits are sure to follow.

The new federal regarding funeral protests only applies at National Cemetaries. I'm sure that one will be contested soon.

Good question David. I know if they showed up at my buddy's funeral I would have gone apesh*t. I would happily go to jail for beating the p*ss out of one of those mf's.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Patriot Guard

Of course don't forget the Patriot Guard Riders who go to nearly every funeral of a OIF/OEF casualty. Most are former military. They put themselves between any protestors and the family of the deceased, holding big signs and American flags supporting the family and their loved one.

The anti-homosexual protestors don't go to every funeral, but the Patriot Guard misses very few. They don't get physical, just block out any anti-war or anti-homosexual protestors. Not to mention usually completely outumbering them. Many times they are welcome guests of the family in the processions and at the wakes.

To David: The anti-homosexual protestors from that little weird church do not bring very many people to protest. I've read numbers between 2 and 12 or so. I think it depends on how close to their home base the funeral is and/or how much lead time they have to get there.

Thread Information