MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. (July 21, 2006) -- Marines with Marine Corps Special Operations Command and 2nd Marine Logistics Group conducted air operations, July 17 through 21 in free falling, static line jumps and air delivery of supplies.

“This was a joint exercise with the Air Force,” said Gunnery Sgt. Edward Walsh, airborne operations and paraloft chief with MARSOC. “The Air Force provided the C-17 (aircrafts) for us during the week. The airdrop missions are to help the Marines sustain their ability in jumping from perfectly good aircrafts.”

During preparations before each jump, the service members conduct a thorough procedure of ensuring not only their equipment, but the Marines are prepared for the jump.

Every Marine packs his own parachute, attends a jump brief and goes through additional sustainment briefs that reiterate how to jump and safely land on the ground, said Sgt. Jacquelyn Gibson, a parachute rigger and jump master with 2nd Air Delivery, Combat Logistics Battalion 27, 2nd MLG.

Once inside the C-17, many thoughts run through the minds of the Marines, whether it is hesitation or adrenaline.

“Riding on the plane is easy, up until we are given the one minute warning,” said Cpl. Jose Rodriguez, a parachute rigger with 2nd Air Delivery, CLB-27, 2nd MLG. “My hands still sweat before I jump. Once your chute opens, everything becomes quiet. On the way down, I constantly check my gear and canopy. The whole thing goes by very quick. I love every minute of it.”

Two drops were made July 20, which included a 10,000-foot free fall and a 1,000-foot static jump. The first jump included four Marines, all with MARSOC, free falling thousands of feet before pulling their release.

All four Marines landed within 20 yards of each other, Walsh said.

“This is why we do the training,” he added. “If these Marines were to jump into a combat zone, they would have to land relatively close to each other to provide support for one another.”

The second jump consisted of two C-17s flying together that dropped a total of 19 Marines during the static jump. During a static jump, the Marines do not have the luxury of determining where they land. However, this type of jump is used when there is more ground to cover, Walsh said.

“This is a great job in the Marine Corps,” Gibson said. “Over the course of four years, I have completed 37 jumps and I still can’t explain why I do it. Nobody with all their marbles would ever consider doing this. But when you jump out the back of the plane, all I can say is wow.”

Throughout the training week, the Marines successfully completed their jumps and supply drops with accuracy and proficiency. Walsh added, the Corps has the best jumpers, gear and individuals in this type of job field.

“People always ask me why I jump,” Walsh said. “And I always reply, because the door is open.”

Ellie