Semper Fi: Er?
Create Post

Thread: Semper Fi: Er?

Semper Fi: Er?

Hello there, I am a newly hired civilian employee of the USMC. I am very happy to be working in support of the best fighting force in the world!! My job requires that I speak with Marines on a daily basis- and a great deal of these Marines are of the WWII generation. I was on the phone with one such Marine yesterday, and before we hung up he said a loud and proud "Semper Fi!" Since I am a civie, and it was my very first Semper Fi, I was kind of caught off guard, so I just said :"thank you sir," and hung up. I immediately regreted this decision- and went to the SNCO to ask just how great a sin it is to not respond with a resounding "Semper Fi!" The Marines in the building told me not to sweat it, and next time just to answer back "er." My question is this : Er? Are they just messing with me? Is the actually response to Semper Fi, Er? Why? What does that mean? The last thing I want to do is up set a Marine!! Any help would be awesome. Thanks- newbie Jackson

Credits
    Savings
    As a female, the response would not be "er". That is a grunt thing, you know them dirty smelly rude and crude males!! LOL
    "Thank you", is the proper response as you are a civilian.
    You could also respond with "do or die"!
    What do you do for the Corps, if you don't mind?

I work for the National Museum of the Marine Corps. It is awesome!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

jiffyjjackson,

Will you be located at the Museum at Quantico...?? That is going to be an awsome place when its completed. And I am going to be a Docent there. I can't wait...!!! The classes start tomorrow for the Docents, for 13 weeks.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Docent - A lecturer or tour guide in a museum or cathedral.
    Another good word. Dang Gunny sounds like great duty, but remember the last time you had a 13 week training course?

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up yellowwing,

You as well as every Marine in here know that we all enjoyed being lower than whale poopoo...LOL

I don't know that "er" is a grunt thing. It was said quite often in the comm unit I was a part of, and it still is when I talk to the guys I served with. (Amazing how everything snaps right back when we get together, almost as if we're going to be standing in formation at 0700 the next morning.)

Sorry to take so long getting back GySgt. Yes, I am working at Quantico. Good luck with the docent training. I might try to make it out to a few if I get the chance. I could certainly use some more education in the ways of the USMC.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Come on down and join us

we will be at the Ferlazo building for a couple more weeks then we will be moving to the museum for further Docent training. I am really excited about this museum it has been a long time arriving. Hope to see you there and thank you for getting back with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    I don't know that "er" is a grunt thing. It was said quite often in the comm unit I was a part of, and it still is when I talk to the guys I served with.
    I agree! I think it is the proper response no matter what your gender or MOS. What are they teaching women in boot camp these days? Forget the lady stuff, be a Marine!

Quote Originally Posted by jiffyjjackson
    Hello there, I am a newly hired civilian employee of the USMC. I am very happy to be working in support of the best fighting force in the world!! My job requires that I speak with Marines on a daily basis- and a great deal of these Marines are of the WWII generation. I was on the phone with one such Marine yesterday, and before we hung up he said a loud and proud "Semper Fi!" Since I am a civie, and it was my very first Semper Fi, I was kind of caught off guard, so I just said :"thank you sir," and hung up. I immediately regreted this decision- and went to the SNCO to ask just how great a sin it is to not respond with a resounding "Semper Fi!" The Marines in the building told me not to sweat it, and next time just to answer back "er." My question is this : Er? Are they just messing with me? Is the actually response to Semper Fi, Er? Why? What does that mean? The last thing I want to do is up set a Marine!! Any help would be awesome. Thanks- newbie Jackson
    Im pretty sure "ER" comes from oorah... when Oohrah is said fast and motivated, it sounds like ERahhh! My best guess is that it was said fast like that for so long, all you could hear was the ER portion... I could be wrong

Credits
    Savings
    Errr... A.K.A.

-Good Morning
    -Good Afternoon
    -Good Evening
    -Thank you
    -Your Welcome
    -C-Ya
    and any other greeting or response you can think of... it's Marine Thing if the Marine said "Semper Fi" in a Loud Motivating Tone, it was acceptance newbee Jackson just reply Err...

Err...

No better friend
    No worse enemy

Thread Information