MARINE CORPS AIR STATION CHERRY POINT, N.C. (July 13, 2006) -- He played football in high school, towers over six feet and carries 214 pounds on an athletic frame.

Cpl. Benjamin K. Dewig, 19, also played tuba in high school and is now one of the newest musicians in the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing Band.

Dewig, who was promoted to corporal, July 1, grew up in rural Haubstadt, Ind., where he worked on a farm, played sports and learned to play brass instruments under his father's wing.
“I lived in the country, so we worked on a farm with my grandpa,” he said, with a sluggish twang in his voice.

“I played football, basketball and baseball.”

Dewig, who is a 2005 graduate of Gibson Southern High School in Haubstadt, attributes his musical talent to his father.

“My dad plays tuba,” he said. “I originally started on trumpet. I just moved to the tuba.”
He taught me, my brother and my sister to play, he said. Everyone in my family plays an instrument except for my mom.

Dewig, who is an Eagle Boy Scout, juggled athletics, academics and music while attending high school.

During fall football games, Dewig competed on the defensive line and played tuba with the marching band during the halftime show.

The sports enthusiast said his high school was small, so there was a demand for tuba players and defensive tackles alike, giving him an opportunity to participate in both activities.
During the summer, he would attend a long and arduous band camp in the morning, and head to a grueling football practice in the afternoons.

Dewig's interest in the Marines came from his wrestling coaches, who served in the Corps and shared their experiences with their wrestlers.

“They talked so much about all the good times they had, and it just made me join,” he said. “It motivated me.”

When Dewig joined the Corps, he craved to become a scout sniper, but also wanted to pursue his passion, music.

After scoring well on his audition for the Marine Corps band, he decided to become a Marine musician.

Today, Dewig manages his obligations as a Marine and his duties as a band musician.

“My first gig was in New York,” he said. “It was at the World Trade Center. I was thrilled to be doing it.”

Dewig said his gig at Ground Zero has been the highlight of his career.

Although he has only served in the 2nd Marine Aircraft Wing Band for a few months, Dewig has embraced his comrades and his unique job.

“I also like the people I work with,” said Dewig. “They are more like family.”
The country boy's comrades have also embraced him, and say he brings a distinctive add to the mix.

“He’s a pretty bright boy even if he's a little country bred,” said Sgt. Justin C. Lienemann, a trumpet player in the 2nd MAW Band.

“I think he's a pretty big dude. That sets him apart. He's definitely the biggest guy in the band. He's definitely one of a kind.”

Dewig has many goals when it comes to his career in the Marine Corps. He plans on making a life-long career out of the Corps, but first wants to learn how to repair brass instruments, his weapon of choice.

Ellie