Twins to use construction skills in Marines
Create Post

Smile Twins to use construction skills in Marines

Twins to use construction skills in Marines
    By BETH L. JOKINEN
    419-993-2093
    bjokinen@limanews.com

PERRY TOWNSHIP - Watching a memorial last fall for the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, Austin and Aaron Rowland made an important decision.

In September, the 18-year-old twins leave for the Marines.

"Our dad was on a flight home from Switzerland on Sept. 11," Austin explained.

Coming from a family where many have served their country, they quickly decided on the Marines.

"I want to be the best," Aaron said.

"If you're going to do it, you should do it for pride, not money," added Austin, who said the Marines are the best trained.

The twins will specialize in combat engineering, using their existing construction skills.

"You get to build stuff and then turn back around and blow stuff up," Aaron said, laughing. "They say it's more fun to blow stuff up. It doesn't take as long."

The two graduated this year from the Apollo Career Center and Perry High School. They were enrolled in Apollo's construction equipment operations program. The twins are spending the summer working construction and said they hope to continue after they return from the Marines.

"I like doing physical stuff and people will always need someone to build a house," Aaron said. "I hope to someday be the guy in the air-conditioned trailer. You make more money that way."

"I like being outside," Austin said. "At the end of the day, I like to look back and see that I did something."

The twins said they hope to one day start their own construction company with their elder brother, Andrew Brown, who also went through Apollo's construction program. They hope to receive a business loan through the Marines.

Austin is interested in the business specializing in all facets of construction. Aaron said he thinks doing tree servicing would also be a good idea.

"There's always going to be ice storms and hurricanes," he said.

The twins have spent much of their lives doing things together, including playing football and basketball for Perry High School. They laugh, but won't say who the better athlete is, although Austin, the quiet one, does get in that he was named the Defensive Player of the Year his junior year.

They'll continue to be together during basic training, but then will likely be split up.

"I think we'll be all right," Austin said of the split.

"We've seen enough of each other," Aaron said. "We'll be all right on our own."

Despite spending so much time together, the twins are both quick to point out their differences.

"You hear me before you see me," Aaron said, laughing. "But you see him before you hear him talk."

Thanks for posting that, MSgt!

What state was that in? We have a Perry Township and Perry High School right near me. Was it in Ohio or no?

Ohio.

Quote Originally Posted by fontman
    Ohio.

Motivating! Now MSgt, did you do that on purpose? Cause I love ya for it!

Yes; now get down and give me twenty...

This Wannabe's pushups are complete, MSgt!

Carry on and continue with the Plan of the Day, Wannabe!

Thread Information