Who got static from family/friends for joining the Marines?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Who got static from family/friends for joining the Marines?

After telling my friends and family I'm joining the Marines, they all look at me like I have a screw loose or something. Don't get me wrong there's nothing anyone can say to me that's going to change my mind about it, but I think it would make it a lot easier if they were a little supportive, especially family. Did anyone else get trouble from their family or friends when they told 'em they were joining, or is it just me?

Idiots and naysayers abound!

My own grandfather told me not to go in because I would not make it. He was a sexist pig and still is. When I graduated I sent him a picture and on the back all I wrote was "I told you so!" Just because they couldn't make does not mean you can't have a great career.

I loved it when friends and family would spite me, from joining the Corps,buying vets,motorcycles,moving to Chicago,Las Vegas,Traveling, Taking up flying they all said yeah sure, right Jerry, have done all listed and then some, I'm like E.F.Hutton now,when I say I'm gonna do something they all listen,har,har,har !!! I kinda patterned my self arounf James Dean(A Rebel without a cause) but Oh Boy !! Is my body paying for it now. ~Wheres my frigging pain pills~

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by marinegreen
    Oh Boy !! Is my body paying for it now. ~Wheres my frigging pain pills~
    ROFLMAO!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hell yeah - ESPECIALLY being a female! My Dad was in from 56-60 and the first thing he said when I walked in the door with a Marine behind me was "you are NOT going in the Corps" - I told him to sit back and watch cause I had to pack a bag and leave to go to MEPS (I had to go to MEPS twice - once when I first went DEP and again the night before I shipped) - this was the first MEPS trip.

My Mom was cool about it - she was proud that her daughter was FINALLY going to do something with herself and get the hell out of her house (I was 23 - she had that whole "it's time you flew out of my nest" syndrome).

My friends all joked about the Corps making a man out of me - look at my pic - does THAT look like a man to anybody?

Don't worry - they ALL get over it when they see what it does to you. My Mom was shocked to see me actually IRON something that I was going to wear after bootcamp - she couldn't believe they taught me how to use an iron cause she never could - I never had to - Daddy did it!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    My Mom was shocked to see me actually IRON something that I was going to wear after bootcamp - she couldn't believe they taught me how to use an iron cause she never could - I never had to - Daddy did it!
    LOL That would have been great! I went in after highschool... they wanted me to go in before Christmas but I told them they were crazy! LOL I was the crazy one...PI in the middle of summer...not a good idea!!! LOL

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    What I don't understand about the whole thing is I was always brought up to respect and love my country. That it was something worth defending and being in the military was an honorable thing to do. My grandpa was in WWII and my father served in the Army. My brother was in the Navy for a while and they were way supportive of his decision. But now since the baby boy of the family wants to join the Corps they're all saying "You're crazy!" (except for my brother, he sometimes wishes he would have joined the Marines instead!)

Thread Information