Question about officer obligation
Create Post

Question about officer obligation

I'm a college graduate that is considering OCS. My question is about the service obligation once you are commissioned. I guess I just wanted clarification on the time frame when they say 4 years active-duty for ground officers and 6-8 years active duty for pilots. Does this mean that once you have served the specified amount of time, then you are no longer obligated to any type of duty with the marines?

The reason I ask is that I feel like becoming a marine officer and going through OCS and TBS would be a great character/leadership building experience, but my hope is to pursue other things outside of the military once my obligation is met.

Update your profile and capitalize the word Marine... in the mean time I'll see if I can find an answer for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    Update your profile and capitalize the word Marine... in the mean time I'll see if I can find an answer for you.
    I managed to find the answer I was looking for - 4 years active duty and 4 years inactive reserves.

Thanks anyway for the effort and sorry about the incorrect spelling.

Quote Originally Posted by nmj190
    I'm a college graduate that is considering OCS. My question is about the service obligation once you are commissioned. I guess I just wanted clarification on the time frame when they say 4 years active-duty for ground officers and 6-8 years active duty for pilots. Does this mean that once you have served the specified amount of time, then you are no longer obligated to any type of duty with the marines?

The reason I ask is that I feel like becoming a marine officer and going through OCS and TBS would be a great character/leadership building experience, but my hope is to pursue other things outside of the military once my obligation is met.

Whats to say that you joined and decided to make it a career, job opps galore for a 20 yr Marine.If you rummage thru the board nmj190 you'll find the biggest majority here have that 1 regret in life and that being we didnt stay a full 20, myself being one of them. WHAT A FOOL I WAS !!!

nmj, you are correct, which is what I would have assumed. I'm still surprised though, I thought that our officers were all on 6 year obligations. Regardless, I would advise you to accept your augmentation and then move forward. If you find an opportunity in the civillian world you don't want to pass up, you can take it. But, there is something to be said for job security, and as a Marine Officer, you would have that.

Obligation is usually tied to how much (if any) the Corps paid into your education and/or how much they are going to pay for your chosen MOS schooling.

Credits
    Savings
    Because you would be getting your commision it would be a 4 yr obligation and 6 for Lawyers and Pilots only, like Mustang says "also how much they paid your school" Not like the enlisted side we sign an 8-yr contract of 4yrs active and 4 yrs inactive service. Commisioned is not as easy as signing your name.

Your obligation as an officer will vary on the program you are commissioned through and whether you are ground, air, or law. I can tell you what the agreement is for officers commissioned through the PLC-Law program.

We do 8 year contracts with 3 1/2 years active duty. At least, that's what my Service Agreement says. The 3 1/2 years starts when you are assigned to extended active duty. That could mean that it doesn't toll until you finish certain training requirements. Ask your Officer Selection Officer when that would start for your service agreement. Also, you can accrue more time in the PLC by taking financial aid or assistance.

I think ground is also a 42 month contract. I think air is 96 months, depending on whether you are fixed wing or not.

The service agreement forms are at this link. Click on the Form Title button and then scroll alphabetically to Service Agreements.
    http://www.hqmc.usmc.mil/ar/mcefs.nsf/

LT C

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the Info Lt.

If you're going to be an Officer there are several different obligations:

Officer Candidates Class (OCC) Ground = 3 1/2 years not 4 years. Which means your inactive reserve time is 5 1/2 years. Age cut off is 28 before the time of commission which is graduation from Officer Candidates School (www.ocs.usmc.mil). Waiverable up to 30.

OCC Air = 6 to 8 years AFTER FLIGHT SCHOOL depending on what you fly. Props and Helos are 6 years and jets are 8 years. Therefore, you do not incurr inactive reserve time because you'll do more than eight years in active duty. Age cut of is 27 1/2 years old at the time of commissioning. Waiverable (almost impossible) to 29.

OCC Lawyers = 3 1/2 years just like Ground Officers with 5 1/2 years of inactive service. Age cut off is 28 before the time of commission which is graduation from Officer Candidates School (www.ocs.usmc.mil). Waiverable to 33.

In closing, any years you do on active duty subtracts from any number of inactive duty you would have to do. Ever service has the same obligation of 8 years and whatever part is done on active duty subtracts from the total time.

Thread Information