marine mother needs to understand
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1

    Red face marine mother needs to understand

    Hello all marines! Let me first say that I am the mother of a marine who is currently stationed at Camp Lejuene. He has been a marine for one year and has made it to LCPL status. I am proud of him! I also want to you all to know that there are many parents just like me who are just as proud of our own but also proud of all of you. Everyday that I listen to the news and hear that another has been taken from us I just can't imagine how the parents feel. My son will be deployed on a float after the first of the year. So as you know I will be worried about my son. I have a question for anyone who has already been to Iraq to give me some sort of insight into what I am about to ask. I can imagine that it must be caous for any soldier to be put into harms way when being shelled or shot at. I want to know how you know who the enemy is when confronted except to see that they have a weapon. This may sound stupid to say but do they all look alike? I know it has to be hard to know who to trust. Whenever I hear the stories about innocent Iraqis being killed by our soldiers I have to say to myself...there must have been a reason. I hate to hear those stories but in life there are bad apples and I do know that no society is immune of that. Please help me understand!


  2. #2

    My Son

    My son is about to deploy back over yonder to hell's sandbox for the 3rd time. This time is different for him. This time he is married and his wife is expecting their first child, a boy, who will be named mateo allen, I'll leave off the last name for security reasons. I'm sure there is a marine that can better answer your question, but being a marine mother who was once in the USAF and then who served this country at a Lt. in undercover narcotics and vice, I can tell you that 95% of it is 'gut feeling'. You learn to trust those gut feelings, to RELY upon them, and live. You learn techniques and things to look for, the darting of the eyes, nervous tendencies, and so much more. You can most assuredly bet that if it is someone that is close to you, say a 'friendly' that is going to double cross you, a weapon is the last clue you're going to get! I hope this helps you some.
    Please remember, if your son/daughter/husband/wife is meant to die in this horrible war; it is God's choice. It is not happenstance, it is not by chance. It is His predestiny for that particular service personnel. And as Military Families, we ALL share and live with that fear. Day after day, night after night, second after precious second. I share your worry, your fear, your grief. I often wonder, when DOES the good luck run out? I also have a daughter in the Navy. I think they're trying to put me in an early grave


  3. #3
    There is no easy way of dealing with the stress of having a loved one shipped to a country riddled with unrest. All you can do is pray day and night and ask God to place a blanket of protection over him/her, and to instill them with a sixth sense in regards to danger.
    I am the mother-in-law of a USMC Sgt., and if anyone thinks that it is any easier because he is not my son, let me explain how wrong you are. First you suffer for your daughter's reaction in case of bad news. Second, you fear and cry for your grandchildren, and above all you cry for the pain his parents will suffer if anything were to happen to their only son. My emotions recently has been like walking on a tightrope, expecting to fall off at anytime.
    There is really no easy way, nor is there a written procedure for them to follow in order to keep safe. They just have to remember their training and keep it uppermost in their minds. Above all, they can't be distracted by our worries and fears. It is of the utmost importance to their mental state that we show no fear, and that we let them know we are confident they will be returning home safe and sound. Then pray, pray and pray again.
    God bless and keep them all safe.


  4. #4
    Platoon Leader Platinum Member jinelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Newark, CA
    Posts
    4,903
    Credits
    13,240
    Savings
    0
    Images
    57
    mid-momarinemom Marine is always captitalized!

    Jim

    No better friend/No worse enemy


  5. #5
    Marine Family Free Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,731
    Credits
    11,105
    Savings
    0
    Knowing that a son or daughter is been trained and led by other Marines is just not good enough but sometimes this is the only thread of protective cloak we, as parents and loved ones, have in these troubled times of conflict. Knowing that one's son or daughter, lover or acquantaince is a Marine is about as much comfort as one is going to get.
    In my opinion, "Harm's Way" begins as soon as the commitment is made and all the necessary paper work has been correctly signed and properly submitted during the recruiting stage. It continues, certainly, throughout the enlistment and inactive/ active reserve obligation period. Frankly, after that??? I don't know. I'm thinking that "Harm's Way" continues on indefinitely, physically or mentally, until one's time, here on earth, has concluded.
    All we can do as parents, loved ones, friends and acquaintances is maintain our unfaultering support for our Marines and Armed Forces personnel.
    As far as...
    I want to know how you know who the enemy is when confronted except to see that they have a weapon. This may sound stupid to say but do they all look alike? I know it has to be hard to know who to trust. Whenever I hear the stories about innocent Iraqis being killed by our soldiers I have to say to myself...there must have been a reason. I hate to hear those stories but in life there are bad apples and I do know that no society is immune of that.

    I cannot answer or help you to understand any of what you ask except to tell you that this is war and it is fought various ways with different missions and tactics, conventional or irregular, at various times, with different intensity, by both aggressor or defender.
    How do I know this... even though I have never been in combat? I have read about warfare, as conducted by the United States Marine Corps, from World War I through current times. During the Vietnam War there were little books written about "Small Unit Actions" which were very informative. You may wish to do some reading to best help you understand what your son does. If you can, check out your son's Battalion and Regiment websites. They are a font of information and sometimes the photographs provided may have your sons's picture in them.
    Adios for now.
    Gary


  6. #6
    Marine Free Member FistFu68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Tombstone,Az
    Posts
    7,696
    Credits
    45,933
    Savings
    0
    Images
    148
    THE Lord is my shepherd;I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures;He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,I will fear no evil;for You are with me;Your rod and Your staff,they comfort me.You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;You anoint my head with oil;My cup runs over.Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the day's of my life;and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.


  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by FISTFU68
    THE Lord is my shepherd;I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures;He leads me beside the still waters. He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake.Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,I will fear no evil;for You are with me;Your rod and Your staff,they comfort me.You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies;You anoint my head with oil;My cup runs over.Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the day's of my life;and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
    AMEN brother! That says it all!

    SEMPER FIDELIS!
    A Heart O' Texas Marine,
    ben


  8. #8
    All I can tell you dear mil mom is that it is truly difficult to tell enemy from friend; so they should/are careful and cautious in all that they meet. #1 priority is to trust no one, always be on alert even while sleeping, while squatting somewhere, everywhere, anytime, all times, all places. Never should they let their guard down, not even when dealing with the children anymore. As was in Vietnam, now is Iraq, they are wiring up the children and using them as human bombs. My son is currently back in Iraq for his 3rd tour, his contact via email or telephone is VERY limited this time. This deployment is quite difficult for him because this is his first since he got married and his wife is due to deliver their firstborn son anytime now.
    You do a whole lot of praying and remembering that no news is good news. I have 2 in the military and I made myself a promise...when I am home alone, I don't answer the phone if I don't know who it is (caller id) or if it shows up as a government agency. I don't answer the door either. Let's face it. I don't want the news they may be attempting to deliver. and IF I see them standing out there in uniform, I'll pretty much already know anyway. Without actually HEARING IT, I can pretend, hold out a few more hours in denial until I have someone else here with me cause I know that sort of news will litterally destroy me. Also, as God has promised to all mankind, He will not give us more than we can handle. Faith! It saves the day and it's my granddaughter's name.......how can I NOT believe in it? She's the love of my life.......

    POWMIA Angel


  9. #9
    Husband, Seargant, USMC Viet Nam. Son USMC Corporal been Iraq etc 2yrs. Stateside July 2006. Set to go back Feb 2007 or whenever needed
    Pray does work ! There is a website FREE ... prayer for our military..
    www.upray.org The non- U.S. we are up against do NOT think like we do here. They are not innocent women and children. Would you as a parent strap a bomb to your 2 year old child, put a jacket on him and send him or her to someone so that you could detonate your own child for the sake of your perverse beliefs ? I am mom to 12 blessings and grandma to 5 so far.
    I greatly appreciate our Marines who have served, those serving now and those who can *make it* as Marines to *get er done*. I raised my children and especially the guys to be honorable courageous and committed. Our job as Marine wives and moms is to pray for them, support them, appreciate their job and unconditionally love them ! It is my calling and privilege to serve in this regard. Yes, I have shed tears but I stand by them 100%


  10. #10

    Marines Dedication to God, Country and One Another

    Quote Originally Posted by gunnydi
    All I can tell you dear mil mom is that it is truly difficult to tell enemy from friend; so they should/are careful and cautious in all that they meet. #1 priority is to trust no one, always be on alert even while sleeping, while squatting somewhere, everywhere, anytime, all times, all places. Never should they let their guard down, not even when dealing with the children anymore. As was in Vietnam, now is Iraq, they are wiring up the children and using them as human bombs. My son is currently back in Iraq for his 3rd tour, his contact via email or telephone is VERY limited this time. This deployment is quite difficult for him because this is his first since he got married and his wife is due to deliver their firstborn son anytime now.
    You do a whole lot of praying and remembering that no news is good news. I have 2 in the military and I made myself a promise...when I am home alone, I don't answer the phone if I don't know who it is (caller id) or if it shows up as a government agency. I don't answer the door either. Let's face it. I don't want the news they may be attempting to deliver. and IF I see them standing out there in uniform, I'll pretty much already know anyway. Without actually HEARING IT, I can pretend, hold out a few more hours in denial until I have someone else here with me cause I know that sort of news will litterally destroy me. Also, as God has promised to all mankind, He will not give us more than we can handle. Faith! It saves the day and it's my granddaughter's name.......how can I NOT believe in it? She's the love of my life.......

    POWMIA Angel
    We Marines are special and dedicated to the protection of our Country. I am so thankful for being a Marine and never hesitated for call to duty whatever it might be. I read all these letters that family has written about family members serving and their fear and concerns for their safety. I share the same concerns for My Marines wherever they serve for this world is in need of guidance and assurance the greates nation on earth Armed Services is protecting us. I worried about the young men and women volunteering to serve and their record and dedication is beyond question. I thank each female and male for their volunteering to serve when no draft is in force. God Bless and keep protecting us from harms's way.


  11. #11
    I dont want to repeat what alot of my brothers and sisters have said already, but just to add my $.02, when I went to Bosnia at 18, I had NO life experience, and I had no combat experience. Those both changed very quickly. Genocide will age you faster than Meth...

    One of the things I noticed was that as young Marines, we had been taught how to 'turn it on' so to speak when it came to becoming emotionally detached and how to follow orders with out question...but after that happened and we got 'familiar' with combat (you never really get that way, you just survive...) it became second nature...but no one ever taught us how to 'turn it off'. It took me many years. Getting physical was much easier for me than to rationalize my actions and talk about things...fortunetly, I never hurt anyone...too bad...and I didnt get my butt in a sling. I learned, through a lot of patience from my Dad and Uncle, both Vietnam Army vets...

    So, I guess, to sum up what I am saying is that they are 18-19 year old young men and women who havent learned how to deal with the stress and pressure that they are put in, day in and day out...They only do what comes naturally to them at the time...and alot of times it can be a choice that they come to regret...mostly through no fault of their own.

    Hope this helps some...probably confused you more...

    Bill


  12. #12
    I think the real anxiety comes from never having been fired at and not knowing exactly how you may react. I was A Sgt with a 12 Marines my first time in Combat. I was more scared Of doing something wrong or letting Marines down somehow, more than actually being shot, killed or wounded. Once the shooting starts that is the easy part, The stress and anxiety is for the most part gone. It really becomes more of a rush for a young Marine. Especially if its sporatic, as most firefights are in Iraq. Just as deadly, but usually short and for the most part it is great to have to superior firepower, which we as Marines "usually" have. I have to say it is no fun to leave family. The great thing about going to combat with Marines is that you are truely with "family" the entire time. If you tell a Marine he has to stay home and allow his Marine family to deploy without him, it would be almost as heartbreaking as having to leave the wife or kids. I'm just rambling.


  13. #13

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by MSgtBowling
    I think the real anxiety comes from never having been fired at and not knowing exactly how you may react. I was A Sgt with a 12 Marines my first time in Combat. I was more scared Of doing something wrong or letting Marines down somehow, more than actually being shot, killed or wounded. Once the shooting starts that is the easy part, The stress and anxiety is for the most part gone. It really becomes more of a rush for a young Marine. Especially if its sporatic, as most firefights are in Iraq. Just as deadly, but usually short and for the most part it is great to have to superior firepower, which we as Marines "usually" have. I have to say it is no fun to leave family. The great thing about going to combat with Marines is that you are truely with "family" the entire time. If you tell a Marine he has to stay home and allow his Marine family to deploy without him, it would be almost as heartbreaking as having to leave the wife or kids. I'm just rambling.
    I don't see it as rambling, sir. Thanks for sharing that. Marines do have that *family*. My husband still feels it years later. I sense it when our son calls from Iraq (on Mother's day ! even) They just put him in EOD . I wish they did not have the rotation system. We meet WWII vets who still have get togethers. Unit cohesion was and is an excellent way to heal when the troops get home as well as stand in honor together. The movie...
    Band of Brothers is an excellent example of that.
    THANK YOU FOR SERVING !


  14. #14
    OK WHAT happenede with this guy?
    It got Reeeealllllly quiet in the media.
    Seems people want paparazzi more than real life.


  15. #15
    Marine Free Member sparkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    The Kingdom of Nye
    Posts
    7,762
    Credits
    7,377
    Savings
    0
    Images
    3
    There's a big difference between willing something to happen, and allowing it. Please try to get God straight Religious people scare me too. "religous' folks normally don't have a relationship with God, just a very dim undrestanding.


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not Create Posts
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts