Cold weather training camp
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cold weather training camp

Any one out there that was involved in the building of Cold Weather Camp at Pickel Meaows?? I was involved in the start of the camp. (1951)

No sir, however, I was involved with cold weather training at Camp Lejune around 92 in MID JUNE. BOY THAT WAS WARM. Guess we ahd to get ready some where.

S/F,

Mike

I know my father went threw cold weather training in pickle meadows in the late 50's not sure exactly when though.

Cantrell

Angry Cold Cold Cold

I Remember Like It Was Yesterday. I Was Hungry Route Marching Up The Hill To The Meadows. I Was So Hungry I Was Eating My Tooth Powder. They Showed Us Movies About Frostbite Before We Left, They Were Pretty Discriptive. Im From New York And Have Been Through Blizzards But I Was Never As Cold As At The Meadows. 1956 Marine

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cold Weather Training

I only did mountain warfare training at Pickle Meadows. The weather was WINDY but not terribly cold. I actually had lots of fun there.

I did plenty of cold weather training in Michigan; believe it or not, with the Air National Guard. One of our instructors was an Army SgtMaj who had taught cold weather survival in Alaska for a living.

Bob: You say you are from NY. Let's talk on e-mail as I'm from Rome NY. ejnestved@msn.com

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I trained at the Meadows from January & February 1960. Learned snoopn & poopn in the snow. Caught a three foot tree stump between my legs on an exercise. Took twenty MARINES and two Corpsmen two hours to carry me down the slope about 500 yards.. They were laughing so hard that they could not carry my skinny ass twenty feet without falling down. I guess other peoples pain is funny. I sure as hell didn't think so at the time. SEMPER FI. L/Cpl G.D. Vallejos USMC 1960-1966

Was there in Feb. 1956 constantly changing our socks.If you got frostbite you also got office hours.

Semper Fi

Bill

Credits
    Savings

I was there in 1963. We had a fake war with the grunts and we won.

I haven't personally been there but my dad was. He was there from Nov. 54 until he got out for the first time in January 56.

Quote Originally Posted by usmc5054
    Any one out there that was involved in the building of Cold Weather Camp at Pickel Meaows?? I was involved in the start of the camp. (1951)
    I know a civilian who was involved. His name is Leonard Jones and was called Jonesy. He tell a lot of seas stories about the Bridgeport area. I went through Cold Weather Training in 1953 and have never forgot how damn cold it was. Paid off in Korea though.

Do you know when Leonard Jones was at Pickel Meadows.??? What did he do there?? Yes the winters were very cold and the snow very deep. In the summer the heat was so bad that we had to work at night only. If you left a wrench out and went to pick it up, you would wind up in sick bay with a bad burn.One thing though. they feed us good. Lots of steak. I tell ya the steak was almost as big as the trays. Xmas there was a blast They even served egg-nog with liq. Glad to hear that your stay up there helped you out overseas. We were field testing the boots and the luberplate for the rifles. Talk to you again. Semper- fy Earl

I remmember one time when a bunch of marines were toobargening(can't spell) down a hill and went right into and thru the officers latreen. They also didn't think it was funny. Semper fy Earl

What did your Dad do at Pickel Meadows???

Quote Originally Posted by usmc5054
    Do you know when Leonard Jones was at Pickel Meadows.??? What did he do there?? Yes the winters were very cold and the snow very deep. In the summer the heat was so bad that we had to work at night only. If you left a wrench out and went to pick it up, you would wind up in sick bay with a bad burn.One thing though. they feed us good. Lots of steak. I tell ya the steak was almost as big as the trays. Xmas there was a blast They even served egg-nog with liq. Glad to hear that your stay up there helped you out overseas. We were field testing the boots and the luberplate for the rifles. Talk to you again. Semper- fy Earl
    I talked to Jonesy yesterday and he told me about this MSgt that was supposed to be the only Marine ever to be Knighted by the Queen. Jonesy called him MSgt John. You have to remember that Jonesy is 75 these days, but seems to have a good memory. Were the boots you were testing (Mickey Mouse boots) (Thermal Boots). When you kept moving in those things they would make your feet sweat and if you stopped, then your feet froze from the sweat.

Thread Information