Questions about School Of Infantry - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    WHoooaaa fellow jarheads,easy on the ole guy,focus fate dont get to bent on me calling out your date. Lil tipster for you yung'un,take 3-4 capfuls of vinegar everyday and the skeeters and anyother lil flying,crawling creature wont mess with ya,just as long as you get some sweat ooozzzing from the pores.SF Devildog,

A few things about ITR at Pendleton in '57:
    --It was the first time a NCO in charge addressed me as "Marine," instead of "private." He was chewing me out but I wasn't sure he was even talking to me.
    --A hill called Goat Run. Another called 921. Being from Georgia, I thought they were mountains.
    --The troop handlers weren't my idea of ideal Marines. Overweight, not squared away. DI's were much, much better and the NCO's I had in the Fleet were very sharp. They knew their stuff and trained us well because we all knew "We're going back to Korea and kill more Chinese."
    --Boot camp was so organized, with such a full schedule. We arrived at Pendleton on a weekend and didn't know what the hell to do with ourselves. Kept waiting for someone to tell us what to do.
    --Nothing much stands out about ITR as compared to boot camp memories. Humps seemed pretty bad but nothing like what we did in 2/9 in Japan and on Okinawa and the Phillipines.
    --Biggest memory of ITR: We're set up in bleachers outside for an all day class on demo. The sergeant/instructor starts off by telling us you have to be "boom happy" to be a good demo man. Then he shows us a quarter-pound block of dynamite (or whatever it was), tells us how safe it is and shows us by beating it on things around him
    Then, he tosses it up in the bleachers saying, "Here, take a look."
    When it's just over our heads there's this huge explosion and I swear I saw a huge cloud of red fire enveloping us.
    "Now that I have your attention . . . . " he said, and class went on.
    They'd set us up with a charge about 100-200 yards away. It seemed like it was in our laps.
    --Re going to the armory and cleaning weapons. We kept ours with us at all times. Hung them off our racks with blanket roll straps. Every evening--all through my four years--guys would lay a blanket over a foot locker, clean rifles, shine brass and shoes and shoot the ****.
    Then we'd team up and play pinochle until it was time for the outdoor flick to start.
    Exciting life being a Marine in those days.

This stuff sounds intense, cant wait!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    take 3-4 capfuls of vinegar everyday and the skeeters and any other lil flying,crawling creature wont mess with ya
    I hear tale that loading up on the garlic and tobasco will make 'yer blood non-tasty also. Don't know if it is true, but it sure makes the morning eggs mighty tasty!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Watch out for the Brown Recluse Spiders check your boots in the field before you put them back on, the bite is nasty and means a hospital stay. Chiggers are bad around this time of year in tall grass and fields. Watch out for snakes..all kinds. And if you are down around Verona Loop you may see some Black bears scavenging in the dumpster for old chow. Back when the C-Rats were in it was funny to stand back and watch them get a can of anything and open it faster than a John Wayne.

Credits
    Savings

Pendleton 1962

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper
    Watch out for the Brown Recluse Spiders check your boots in the field before you put them back on, the bite is nasty and means a hospital stay. Chiggers are bad around this time of year in tall grass and fields. Watch out for snakes..all kinds. And if you are down around Verona Loop you may see some Black bears scavenging in the dumpster for old chow. Back when the C-Rats were in it was funny to stand back and watch them get a can of anything and open it faster than a John Wayne.
    While in Pendleton in 1962, we had a plague of spiders…Tarantulas everywhere. When you were in your sleeping bags at night in the boondocks, they would like to curl up on your warm face sticking out the bag. I remember when I was snooping & pooping in the boonies at NCO school I’d have to avoid crawling over the annoying devils, I guess they don't see well they would come right at you head on while your crawling. Oh, we had scorpions too.

One time then while accompany the skipper on an inspection of my squad bay he heard loud scratching noises coming from a locker and wanted to know what it was. I knew this Marine had caught some tarantulas and figured it out right away. We got him to open up his wall locker and he had put two tarantulas together in an empty individual “C” ration box. The skipper told him to toss them out the window (2nd floor) and you could actually hear those suckers hit the ground they were so big.

Thread Information