Questions about School Of Infantry
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Questions about School Of Infantry

I'm off to SOI (east) soon, and I've heard a lot about it from the breifs at bootcamp and videos and things I've read about it online. So I just want to get some things cleared up. They told us 90% of our time is spent in field. Does that mean week-long, or just out in the field for the day then going back to the squad bay? I've heard after a certain ammount of time there we get some libo weekends, does that mean we don't get time to ourselves on Sundays (kind of similar to bootcamp, so we can go to church and whatnot). So I'm kind of just looking to know how an average day at SOI will go. Thanks Marines!

Credits
    Savings
    SOI back in 1961 was called ITR (Infantry Training Regiment), didn't know they changed it. Remember allot of shi*ing & grinning in the boonies and some time off on weekends. I imagine it hasn't changed that much. Yes, we went back to our quanset huts allot, more times than not. Have fun and good luck

SF

Thanks for the video but I've seen that one and a few others before

Stanley Hroszow
    Guest Free Member
    Yes it is the same at every Duty Station

Credits
    Savings
    If you are wondering are the sergeants just as intense as boot camp, for me I found them (back in '61) not as bad and not over all as smart at boot camp sergeants, but it has been a long time ago and not everyones experiences will be the same. The unit size was much larger then and you could easily get lost in the crowd, in other words the individual harassment was way down even if you brought attention to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thzodiac
    If you are wondering are the sergeants just as intense as boot camp, for me I found them (back in '61) not as bad and not over all as smart at boot camp sergeants, but it has been a long time ago and not everyones experiences will be the same. The unit size was much larger then and you could easily get lost in the crowd, in other words the individual harassment was way down even if you brought attention to yourself.
    Ya I've heard a lot of people say its not as bad as bootcamp at all, and that you're actually treated like a human being

Credits
    Savings
    Yes, compared to boot camp it was much better. I don't know what your MOS is, I was the only 0800 out of my boot camp platoon and it was days before I found out what it was, then I was still puzzled because the DI said I was a cannon cocker(?). I wound up in a chicken-sh*t artillery outfit; somehere between boot camp and ITR for harassment. Some real crazy goings on's there guys getting into trouble big time. Things got better gradually especially when I made E-4 in two years. Go to Japan or Okinawa if you get the chance. A retired army Sergeant Major from the 101st A-B a few years back told me the first thing you learn in the Army is "STAY AWAY FROM STUPID PEOPLE, THEY WILL GET YOU KILLED!" Good advice for Marines too.

Smile School of Infantry

Quote Originally Posted by Focus Fate
    I'm off to SOI (east) soon, and I've heard a lot about it from the breifs at bootcamp and videos and things I've read about it online. So I just want to get some things cleared up. They told us 90% of our time is spent in field. Does that mean week-long, or just out in the field for the day then going back to the squad bay? I've heard after a certain ammount of time there we get some libo weekends, does that mean we don't get time to ourselves on Sundays (kind of similar to bootcamp, so we can go to church and whatnot). So I'm kind of just looking to know how an average day at SOI will go. Thanks Marines!
    I did it back in 1968 when it was still called ITR (Infantry Training Regiment) at Camp Pendleton.

We slept in the barracks most nights, but did spend most of our time out in the hills, humping, and learning infantry basics.

There was none of the psychological pressure we were under during boot camp though... we were treated like regular Marines (well... almost ).

I remember going to Disneyland one weekend, and staying at a place called the 'Space Age Motel' ... about 10 of us in a single room, sleeping on the floor, mostly.

I also remember being fairly naieve... we had to wear our uniforms when we went on liberty while in ITR, and it took a while to figure out that all those wise guys with the short haircuts cracking jokes at us were other Marines, wearing civvies.

Thanks for all the replies, anyone who's gone through recently though?

Are you going to ITB or MCT? I don't know about liberty and stuff but your sure going to do a lot of humping especially if your going ITB route...enjoy

going ITB, good to know there'll be plenty of long humps, *sigh* Oh well I'll learn to love it

Hey FOCUS Fate, by your profile you dont graduate boot camp until july 23rd, since when did puppy's get puters in boot camp ???

Quote Originally Posted by marinegreen
    Hey FOCUS Fate, by your profile you dont graduate boot camp until july 23rd, since when did puppy's get puters in boot camp ???
    Because I ****ed up my profile apparently. I graduated JUNE 23rd. Sorry if I offended you. Since it seems like you want to try and call me out.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    OK marinegreen good eye but I back this Marines legitimacy 100% he did graduate June 23rd and just made an error filling out his profile. He is no poser.

Semper Fi

Jim

Thread Information