Results 1 to 15 of 151
06-19-06, 04:36 PM #1
Top 10 Marine Corps Movies/Shows of all time?
I was just curious, What are some of your Favorite Marine Corps Movies? If you can, Please give a top list. (Also, They can range from movies like "Full Metal Jacket", To documentaries.)
06-19-06, 06:55 PM #2
Hmm, I honestly don't think I've seen 10...or I can't remember right now.
I'll try though:
1. Full Metal Jacket
2. Marines of Lima Company
4. umm...OH, Making Marines
5. Ears Open Eyeballs Click ( didn't really like it, but since I can't think of any others it has to round off the list )
I've seen some shows on the Military Channel and History Channel about Marines, but I can't think of the names of any of them.
06-19-06, 07:09 PM #3
what about the oldie "Heaven Knows Mr. Allison"
06-19-06, 07:17 PM #4
I started to search Yahoo for "Top 100 Marine Corps Movies", But I honestly think that together, the world has only made about 20-30 Marine Corps movies, At the most.(That Includes "Holywood", and documentary types.)
06-19-06, 08:41 PM #5
1. Full Metal Jacket
2. Ears Open, Eyeballs Click (haven't seen the full movie yet)
3. Heartbreak Ridge (Guilty pleasure #1)
4. Thou Shalt Not Kill...Except (Guilty pleasure #2)
5. A Few Good Men
6. The D.I.
7. Sands of Iwo Jima
8. The Thin Red Line
9. The Rock
10. Death before Dishonor (Guilty pleasure #3)
06-19-06, 09:04 PM #6
My favorite show was Gomer Pyle only because we have the same accent
06-19-06, 09:45 PM #7
I like Aliens...yeah yeah I know ...but theyre future Marines and I like it ...
06-19-06, 10:30 PM #8
1. Full Metal Jacket
2. The DI
3. The Sands of Iwo Jima
4. A Few Good Men (and I think the Marines got screwed)
5. Heartbreak Ridge
6. The Flying Leathernecks
7. Sniper (Even though it wasn't "about Marines" many of the shots were based on the shots of Carlos Hathcock, and you don't get more Marine than that.
8. Uncommon Valor
9. The Rock (Recon taking care of SEALS, can't beat it)
10. Starship Troopers (OK, so it isn't about Marines. The book had a huge impact on General Krulak, and thus the Marine Corps as a whole... and big bugs kick butt.)
Notice I left out the most recent Marine movie. The things that individual has said since his service ruin the whole deal for me.
06-19-06, 10:59 PM #9
Originally Posted by Marine84
06-20-06, 07:53 AM #10
yeah Angel - anytime I talked in bootcamp there was always a DI that would make fun of it.
06-20-06, 09:24 AM #11
Wow a Mexican with a southern drippy drawl!!!!!!!!!! must sound delicious...LOL Gotta have fun with it, Marine84
06-20-06, 10:42 AM #12Originally Posted by CrazyBrave83
A real oldie is "The Lieutenant"
06-20-06, 11:05 AM #13
Some lesser known but just as good as the standards (The DI, Sands of Iwo, Flying Leathernecks, Full Metal, being the standards):
1) The Outsider (1961) story of Iwo Jima flagraiser Ira Hayes
2) Retreat, Hell (1952) good Korean War stuff
3) Wake Island (1942) a bit hokey, but still good depiction of the "Alamo of the Pacific"
4) Halls of Montezuma (1950) good WWII stuff with Jack Webb in another Marine role
5) Guadalcanal Diary (1943) I like this far better than that Thin Red Line crap
6) Hell to Eternity (1960) another "true" story of a Marine in WWII that was raised by a Japanese-American family
7) Gung Ho! (1943) & Marine Raiders (1944) WWII stuff about the Raiders
8) To the Shores of Tripoli (1942) pure propaganda fluff piece but great footage of MCRD-SD Marines drilling!
9) Boys in Company C (1978) R.Lee as DI long before Full Metal!
10) BattleCry (1955) sort of soap opera, but watchable
Bad ones I don't recommend: Heartbreak Ridge & Death Before Dishonor
06-20-06, 12:52 PM #14
There are two that were pretty good flicks to see - not televised very much anymore, but if you ever get a chance - see them both.
1. "Baby Blue Marine" - made in about 1976 or so - Stars Michael Jan Vincent and Richard Gere. Vincent is washed out of the Corps back during WWII from boot camp, was kinda like a **** bird I guess but got railroaded it seemed by running into an officer - thats when they sent you home in a baby blue uniform from the Corps to disgrace you!! Gere plays a Raider Marine who swiches uniforms with Vincent so he doesn't have to go back to the War. Great Movie I thought.
2. "The Pride of the Marines" - also of WWII - starred John Garfield. True story about a Marine who is blinded by a Jap grenade on one of the island campaigns - I think Guadalcanal. He comes home to his family and girlfriend - and has some trouble readjusting. Also a great movie.
3. "The AirWinger - Death from Above" - this is the most sought after movie of any of the Marine Corps Movies ever made!! Its only been shown one time and was so powerful that all Marine Grunts broke out into tears when they saw it!! It was banned after the one showing by the Commandant because all the Grunts wanted to change their MOS's to the Wing!!! Sadly this flick is not available anymore, and all copies have been destroyed!!
We'll have to talk to the Owner/Moderators of the site and ask them if and when they ever hear of these movies coming out on tv or on video to let us all know. John Wayne - they have about wore him out on the Sands!! SF
06-20-06, 05:12 PM #15
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)