Designated Marksman
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Question Designated Marksman

Can anyone provide me with some usefull information on becoming a designated marksman (in any unit other than Force Recon), and information on requirements to be selected for training? It prooves to be no use searching the internet on this specific USMC job, because any results I get are based on the DM rifle, not the job. Thank you very much. Please remeber that I am looking for DM oppurtunities in anything besides Force Recon because I am RG COlorblind and will not be accepted into Force because of that.

all a DM is is a Marine usually with the highest rifle score in his company who basically acts as a sniper/guardian angel. This billet is used in regular infantry companies.

gotta qual first, the finish earning the title, then you can start looking at options like what your wanting

DM School

I'm not sure what's changed since I left as chief Instructor of the Designated Marksman School at Dam Neck Rifle Range in Chesapeake, VA, 1995-97. But I don't think we screened for color blindness then. I stumbled on this site and figured I'd give you my 2 cents. Maybe I can help you. Back then at DM School we trained guys from FAST and the PRP commands from MCSF. We also did training of police SWAT teams on the side but that's off point. The school is meant to be demanding however, we didn't have the attrition rate of a Marine Scout Sniper School, (honestly, that was due to politics, but don't get me going.) It lasted 6 weeks then, not sure now. We used a modified M-14 or DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle) they had either the Unertl 10x or a variable 6-10x Leupold scope, Mil-Dots, Harris bi-pods, and a modified glass-bedded stock w/ a match trigger. The school was 2 weeks of classes and marksmanship with the DMR, then two weeks of observation exercises and the final two weeks was a combination of observation, shooting exercises and deployment drills finalized with a "hell week." (there's more to the school then what I just briefly explained, I'm just getting the basics out to you) You have to be an expert to get a seat to the school and I know the competition was tough at different commands for the seats. The course days were usually 10-12 hours long, with many early mornings and or late nights doing shooting and/or observation exercises. The range itself was top notch with as far out as 700 yard platforms to shoot from, we shared the range with the SEAL's on Dam Neck so it was a well funded facility. High 1st class PFT, no NJP's or court martial, basically good Marines. It's a good school for your tool box if get the chance to go.

One personal thing of note; Most of the time Gunny Hathcock was our guest speaker at graduations, he lived not far from the range, sometimes he would come to the range when we had students to watch and give a few words of advice but unfortunately for me and everyone there then his health was always questionable, that was a great opportunity for everyone involved back then, RIP Gunny

Semper Fi Marines
    Sgt V
    90-98

4 guys from my FAST platoon went through the DM course at Damneck. One is colorblind. They all said it was a really tough school, got to do fun things like push trucks up and down the range. They all said it was very tough both mentally and physically, and the rifle qual at the end is extremely hard.

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    I'm not sure what's changed since I left as chief Instructor of the Designated Marksman School at Dam Neck Rifle Range in Chesapeake, VA, 1995-97. But I don't think we screened for color blindness then. I stumbled on this site and figured I'd give you my 2 cents. Maybe I can help you. Back then at DM School we trained guys from FAST and the PRP commands from MCSF. We also did training of police SWAT teams on the side but that's off point. The school is meant to be demanding however, we didn't have the attrition rate of a Marine Scout Sniper School, (honestly, that was due to politics, but don't get me going.) It lasted 6 weeks then, not sure now. We used a modified M-14 or DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle) they had either the Unertl 10x or a variable 6-10x Leupold scope, Mil-Dots, Harris bi-pods, and a modified glass-bedded stock w/ a match trigger. The school was 2 weeks of classes and marksmanship with the DMR, then two weeks of observation exercises and the final two weeks was a combination of observation, shooting exercises and deployment drills finalized with a "hell week." (there's more to the school then what I just briefly explained, I'm just getting the basics out to you) You have to be an expert to get a seat to the school and I know the competition was tough at different commands for the seats. The course days were usually 10-12 hours long, with many early mornings and or late nights doing shooting and/or observation exercises. The range itself was top notch with as far out as 700 yard platforms to shoot from, we shared the range with the SEAL's on Dam Neck so it was a well funded facility. High 1st class PFT, no NJP's or court martial, basically good Marines. It's a good school for your tool box if get the chance to go.

One personal thing of note; Most of the time Gunny Hathcock was our guest speaker at graduations, he lived not far from the range, sometimes he would come to the range when we had students to watch and give a few words of advice but unfortunately for me and everyone there then his health was always questionable, that was a great opportunity for everyone involved back then, RIP Gunny

Semper Fi Marines
    Sgt V
    90-98
    I may have went to your school while you were there. I went in 1994 / 95 not sure exactly. I absolutely loved that school and am very lucky to have walked away with that knowledge. I am still a long range shooter but im now shooting bolt guns. I can sincerley say, that school helped me at my command. I helped in implementing the dm's role in my company's play book. Im also one of the few Marines that got to sit down and listen to Gunny tell his stories.

Wow, this is truly back from the dead.

i know SRT has a DM school at fort leonardwood,MO for our SRT and army SRT DM's. but that's more a billet within the team than an actual MOS.

Job Description: A special reaction team is comprised of military police personnel trained to give an installation commander the ability to counter or contain a special threat situation surpassing normal law enforcement capabilities. All team members should be cross-trained in all team duties. .As a minimum, the special reaction team must be capable of isolating a crisis scene, providing proficient marksmanship support, conducting tactical movement anj building entry, and clearing of buildings in a variety of light and weather conditions.
    Job Requirements:
    (1) Must currently hold MOS 5811.
    (2) Must have obtained the grade of corporal or higher.
    (3) Must be a volunteer.
    (4) Possess a high degree of maturity and self-control.
    (5) Maintain minimum first class physical fitness standards.
    (6) Qualify as an expert with service rifle and pistol. (7) Complete the Special Team Course, U.S. Army Military Police School.

basically SWAT for the Marine Corps,they do some cool stuff,I did a working party for them at leonardwood when i was waiting to pickup in MP school,man its scary watching 6 guys in body armor and carbines come busting through a door screaming and shooting sim rounds at you.

This is a little old.... but still accurate as far as my post is concerned.

I think this was my first post here, eva, wow, I'm salty....

Get some Marines.

i don't know if it's been awhile since you've asked this question, but i was a designated marksman with 3rd FAST 2nd platoon. Graduated in october 2003. The DM school was one of my favorite training schools i went through. Its not easy by any means our class dwindled slowly as the training went on, but it really depends on how much you mentally want it, thats in the first phase. After that, it depends on whether you can shoot as well as your marksman score says you can. I think i my mind that's the hardest part, mentally, to know that it all hinges on something that you can put down on paper, not the fact that you can endure the physical strain they put you through (i had 2 other guys from my platoon fail). Keep your mind in the game, and you'll be fine. I never got the privalege of meeting gunny hathcock, he was gone long before i came through, but i could only imagine what it would have been like to meet him, he was a legend in my mind since i was a little kid, and i've read many books about him when i was growing up. End all, its a great training evolution, i've prided myself on the fact that i completed it and that i'm on one of the pictures hanging up in the wall of the training school (Damn Neck) and would highly recommend this course to anyone who has the opportunity! Thanks to all the instructors that i may have hated you durning the evolution, but the end all, you've made me a better man, and you've made the Marine Corps. as stronger branch for not going easy on us.

this thread is 3 years old....

wonder where the kid is now.

hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Born Invincible View Post
    all a DM is is a Marine usually with the highest rifle score in his company who basically acts as a sniper/guardian angel. This billet is used in regular infantry companies.
    Yea thats actually very innacurate. I have been with 3/1 Kilo since 2007 and have never heard of or seen a slot for a designated marksman. But i do know there is a school you can attend. Refer to the other post. I know that our platoon sgt just offered a slot to attend the school before we push out to Afghanistan in spring 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Spencer H Walke View Post
    I have been with 3/1 Kilo since 2007
    Great unit, I was there until 2001.

Thread Information