Do you enlist before or after MEPS?
Create Post

Question Do you enlist before or after MEPS?

Hello, I am a soon to be Poolee. I go I MEPS next month and I want to know if I enlist before or after MEPS? Also do you pick your MOS there? I understand you talk to a counselor there about your MOS after the ASVAB. Thank you.

Similar Threads:

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    you aren't technically "enlisted" until the day you swear in and ship to boot camp....that said you won't get any sort of contract started until you go through MEPs, get cleared medically, and have an ASVAB score to know what your MOS options are

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    you aren't technically "enlisted" until the day you swear in and ship to boot camp....that said you won't get any sort of contract started until you go through MEPs, get cleared medically, and have an ASVAB score to know what your MOS options are
    I am 17, does this mean my mom needs to come with me to MEPS? Or does she sign something at the RSS saying I can enlist?

Baker1971
    Guest Free Member
    Step #1 Go see a recruiter with your Mom.
    Step #2 Make sure you do step #1.

Quote Originally Posted by Baker1971 View Post
    Step #1 Go see a recruiter with your Mom.
    Step #2 Make sure you do step #1.
    Move been at the RSS for 6 months PT'ing and studying for the ASVAB and I already have talked to my recruiter. I go to MEPS a next month. I just want to know if I actually enlist before or after MEPS.

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Beastmode1607 View Post
    Move been at the RSS for 6 months PT'ing and studying for the ASVAB and I already have talked to my recruiter. I go to MEPS a next month. I just want to know if I actually enlist before or after MEPS.
    AFTER!...how can you enlist when you don't know if you're even qualified to enlist(medically and ASVAB score for jobs).

and again, you aren'te technically "enlisted" until the day you ship to bootcamp and swear in. you are just in the delayed entry program prior to that point. and yes if you are under 18 you will need a parent to sign off on you.

You don't need to take your parents to the recruiter. But you will need them to meet with the recruiter at least once to have them sign a document allowing you to take the oath.

You do "enlist" when you go to MEPS, assuming you pass all the phsyical and mental tests. But you are not IN the Marine Corps yet. You are just garaunteed a spot at boot camp. If you make it through, then yes you can then say you're enlisted in the Marine Corps. As of now, you're nothing. If you take the oath at MEPS then you can say you're in the Delayed Entry Program. (DEP)

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    AFTER!...how can you enlist when you don't know if you're even qualified to enlist(medically and ASVAB score for jobs).

and again, you aren'te technically "enlisted" until the day you ship to bootcamp and swear in. you are just in the delayed entry program prior to that point. and yes if you are under 18 you will need a parent to sign off on you.
    This times 1000, even though you sign that contract at MEPS or even the one with the recruiter until you hit the yellow footprints you are not enlisted, you can still back out at anytime.

Thread Information