stolen veteran information - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Credits
    Savings

No, No, No...

I don't give any information out over the phone especially not my account numbers!!! My concern is the people at the Vet. office are still asking for this account # (SSn) my complaint was the fact that I'm jumping through so-many hoops to get to a simple answer for simple question.

and this problem should have long been dealt with before any of this ever happen. I have yet to see these changes at the Vet. office and would like that's all.

and thank you I appreciate the welcome

Last edited by thedrifter; 04-05-07 at 11:07 AM.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by marinegreen
    J-RO, Never ever give your SSN out over the phone to anyone, all anyone should need is the last 4, dont give out any account #'s to anyone calling and asking. One more thing, "WELCOME TO LEATHERNECK MARINE!" SF

No, No, No...
    I do not ever give information over the phone. My concern was why em' I still jumping through so-many hoops for a simple answer to a simple question so they know it's me, I was suggesting they fix this problem with a pin number that is only sacred to the user. But, I appreciate your input and I will continue to mention pin numbers for our Broken (current) system.

Appreciate the welcome.

Credits
    Savings
    No, No, No...
    I don't give information over the phone especially over cell phones or personnal accounts any thing that is vital to me. I'm saying like Cas3 some of them won't talk too me unless they have the SSn which in return causes me to jump through so-many hoops that I don't feel neccessary. This is a problem with me and I don't appreciate them not finding new account numbers to identify the person. That's all I'm saying hopefully this issue is combed out in the future so mistakes won't further happen with our already careless system.

and thanks for the welcome MarineGreen

Credits
    Savings
    No, No, No...
    I would never give Personnal info. over the phone I was curious why their not doing anything to change the way they go about recognizing the caller, they say they doin it for security reasons, but seems their compromising everybodies security with technology you never know who could be listening to what and they already compromised MILLIONS, but no wait, "Sir that problem has already been taken care of" Sure it has and I understand that it won't happen AGAIN" Right, I was just making suggestions but I appreciate the welcome and your opinions Green and CAS, I'll continue jumping through hoops to answer at the time what seems to be a simple question

Nobody's bust'en on you J-RO, It was the way you worded yourself that threw me off.Hey I do it myself !! CAS is your best source of imfo for veterans affairs stuff. Its gotten to where I dont give out jack-diddley squat over the phone anymore, if someone calls and asks me stuff if they dont have a couple items about me in front of em and they start assking ?';s I just tell'em, "You tell me!" I have given my imfo before and shouldnt have to again and if they start himhawing around I hang up. We were just trying to give you a heads up in case you maybe didnt know, but yeah CAS is your go to person for that stuff. SF

RE: giving out info over the phone...

IF YOU MADE THE CALL then give out what ever information is requested. YOU should know who you called.

IF someone called you and asked for information then NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give out any information, including the time of day...

Credits
    Savings
    J-RO
    If you need to call the VA, you will need to give them the info they request, unless you go to the veterans benefits administration building.

There are millions and millions of veteran folders and the only way to identify them is by SSN.
    Back before 79, they gave out service numbers and that was what the VA used. Until they ran out of service numbers and were giving out duplicates. Big problems.

I've been through the whole Identity Theft thing when I was on recruiting duty. If you're on active duty now and notice that only the last 4 of your social is now printed on orders, that's a result of my email to the Commandant. I ****ed off my whole chain of command when I sent that email. But I saw change Marine Corps wide as a result of it.
    My Identity was stolen from Group Orders that had all of my info on them and there were 5 other Recruiters who were directly affected in the same scandal.
    I was tipped off by my credit card company and I did all of the research myself and identified the location of the perpetrator.
    I called the Secret Service since it was Interstate and was told that there was nothing they could do about it. So I told the Special Agent that I was going out to California to kill myself!!!! He said "what do you mean?". I said "there can be only one" to quote a movie. Needless to say, he got the point and took over the case and the guy was eventually arrested and prosecuted.

lol..good sh*t gunny.

Credits
    Savings
    My bad green the only reason it was posted somany times I didn't see the second page and I wanted to respond "no worries" I just wanted input on the topic Good ****.... gunns

CAS I won't deal with them unless I absoultly Have too!!! Millions and Millions is Not a small # whoever is Running Sh@$ down their or wherever "it's a HUGE Gaggle Fu@#" again my bad for so many post.

Credits
    Savings
    Gunny way to go Maine!!

J-Ro,
    no need to apologize. I have been in your shoes!

stolen VA information

received this email from Senator Boxer and it addresses some of the issues you have expressed.
    Hope it is helpful

Dear Friend:

We expose ourselves to this risk almost every day, any time we
    use a credit card, provide a Social Security number, or
    withdraw money from an automatic teller machine.

How is it that we can continue using this personal data while
    staying safe from identity theft? I have some ideas for you on
    my Senate website at
    http://boxer.senate.gov/services/consumer/index.cfm

Here you will find my new consumer protection feature, which
    provides important information about how to protect yourself
    from identity theft along with tips about credit protection,
    predatory lending practices, do-not-call registries, and other
    helpful information. We will be updating this feature
    regularly, so I hope you will plan to visit it often.

You can also access this feature via my home page:
    www.boxer.senate.gov

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
    United States Senator

================================================== =

If this message reached you in error, or if you would like to
    cancel your subscription, please reply to this message with
    “unsubscribe” in the subject line.

For more information on Senator Boxer's record and other
    information, please go to: http://www.boxer.senate.gov

To respond to this message, please click on the following link:
    http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/email/feedback.cfm . This link
    will take you to a webpage where you can respond to messages
    that you receive from Senator Boxer’s office.

very good advise

Quote Originally Posted by Camper51
    RE: giving out info over the phone...

IF YOU MADE THE CALL then give out what ever information is requested. YOU should know who you called.

IF someone called you and asked for information then NEVER, NEVER, NEVER give out any information, including the time of day...
    Very good advise. There have been many postings on this subject, most are good. The nut that took the lap top home, stepped on his crank big time. I think had there not been a break in at his home, the issue would have never came up and the practise continued.
    Lawyers will jump on the band wagon for any case they think will generate them some cash. Watch the ads on TV, that makes my point.
    Fact is, they are now lining up to take on cases for Vets to battle the VA, think they'll be doing it for free?? Here in Missouri the (Show Me State), the joke is now (The Sue Me State).. I just read an article about St. Louis, being the best place to file a VA claim, why I don't know.. I personally think it should be the same all over the land, but that's just my thoughts.
    Hap Smith
    USMC (ret) 73-93
    Semper FI

Exclamation

www.annualcreditreport.com

This website will get you your free annual credit report from all 3 reporting agencies. It really works and you don't have to give a credit card #.

SEMPER FIDELIS.

Thread Information