Becoming Squad Leader
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Becoming Squad Leader

As many recruits probably desire the role as squad/platoon leader in boot camp, what qualities do the drill instructors look for upon arrival?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    This was posted in the Poo lee or Mentor Forum. But the biggest thing is making it to the depot and hitting the yellow footprints.

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

What SSgt says is completely right. however if you desire to be a squad leader you need to be at least a P.T. Stud...you need to be able to sound off like you have a pair...and not be afraid to tell recruits what the hell they are supposed to be doing, even if that means putting some "friendships" at risk. although it is my belief that in the Marine Corps it doesnt completely matter whether or not you hold the billet as squad leader, guide, or scribe or whatever, just that you are squared away at all times, you know what it means to be able to do the right thing, even when no one is looking. and you have to be confident in everything you do. if a fellow Marine is jacked up, you should feel confident and compelled to correct him. even if that Marine is a higher rank than you, in which case you use tact. i firmly believe that if you take away the rank on our shoulders we all still wear the same thing on our chest. U.S. Marines....now granted always show your superiours respect. as i show mine respect. because they have earned it. they have earned their stripes and rockers, and i will always render the respect that they have earned. just remember that the key to being a good leader is sometimes following. and always being as squared away as possible. dont do it to impress people, dont do it because you want to make billets. do it because you want to be the best Marine you can be. and trust me...that will show to your superiors and they will deal with your attitude accordingly. i was a squad leader throughout the entire duration of Boot Camp, MCT and then i was a class leader at MOS school. it is an accomplishment to be able to hold billets like that, however, the most important thing is to be the best Marine, and man that you can be. it will get you through anything. always remember the hell it took to earn the title, and live your life accordingly.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Dont try to be sqaud leader or guide for at least the first month of boot camp. Squad leaders and guides change many times before the final people are in place. Stay low key and make sure you are squared away. Once you hit second phase then step up and accept some additional responsibility. I would say that at least 1/3 of our platoon were squad leaders at one time or another during recruit training.

If you are hoping for a promotion upon graduation then i would suggest recruiting at least two people into the Marine Corps. That is what i did so i graduated as a PFC. They also gave me a marine corps ring etc during boot camp.

Thread Information