How to Fail Boot Camp...
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

How to Fail Boot Camp...

Hi everyone!
    I figured that this question should have its own topic (seperate from the college/Marines one I started)

Basically, can anyone remember people from basic training that failed and were sent home? Why did it happen?

I'm pretty anxious about the thought of being sent home; obviously this isn't a reason not to enlist, but the more I know about it the less likely it is to happen to me!

Eagerly awaiting your replies

How to fail boot camp.....

We did have one maggot with us that failed boot camp.I don't even know why he even went.........he kept ****ing himself when the DI's got in his face.........

Credits
    Savings
    Images

teddyn,

If you sail along while at Recruit Training you will fail. If you are able to take orders you will fail. If you let your fellow recruits down too many times you will fail. It is all on you. The Drill Instructors give every recruit what they need to suceed. All you have to do is do it. That is a plain as I can puit it. A word or two of advice DO NOT THINK...!!! DO NOT TAKE IT PERSONAL...!!! DO NOT LOOK AROUND LIKE YOU ARE OUT FOR A STROLL...!!! DO SOUND OFF WHEN YOU ARE ASKED SOMETHING...!!!
    THE FIRST WORD OUT OF YOUR MOUTH IS SIR...!!! THE LAST WORD OUT OF YOUR MOUTH IS SIR...!!!

I hope that I cleared things up for you...???

My recruiter told me all kinds of reasons why people fail boot camp. He said that some of them fail because they become suicidal(most likely had mental problems to start with). Some recruits failed right off the bat because they failed a drug test. There's a whole slew of reasons why people quit. My recruiter also told me that EVERYONE considers quitting at one point or another...key word...CONSIDERS...I read somewhere that only about 10% of male recruits fail out. It's about double that for female recruits. It's pretty much a matter of choice if you want to suceed in boot camp or not. Even if you get injured(as long as it's not critical), you have the choice to stay or go home. Even though the DIs are total dicks, they are actually pulling for you to succeed. I'd also recommend going into DEP for a few months before you go to bootcamp. Most likely your recruiter will have a program for the DEPers to go through, to get them a little prepared for what it's going to be like. You'll get use to them yelling at you, you'll learn some drill, work out....it's gonna be a lot harder in bootcamp if you go in completely out of shape, and also clueless to what it's like to have a DI screaming at you. Just my .02

And another thing my recruiter said...he said pretty much everyone has a breaking point in boot camp. A lot of recruits at some point break down in tears...It's not a sign of weakness to cry at those breaking points, because it is a human emotion. And to deny a human emotion is like denying who you are. Anyways, instead of focusing on all of the ways you could fail out, start thinking about all the reason why you WOULDN'T want to fail.

My platoon started with about 70 people, we graduated 27, and 8 or 9 of those didn't start in our platoon (myself included). There are a host of reasons why people don't make it.

Rocknroll, I was injured pretty badly in boot camp, even got to spend some nights in a hospital. I was never given a choice, I would recover, so I was staying. Plenty of other people in the Medical Rehabilitation Platoon were being sent home, even though they wanted to stay. It was decided that their injuries would take too long to fully heal, or that they would never heal, and that it would be better to send them home. Don't assume things based on what you've heard or what you think.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up roknroll,

Your maturity is showing. You are dead on as far as your advice goes. I couldn't have put it better myself. Now for your personal experiences to catch up with what you just said. I am sure that you have the attitude that I had. You are good to go and I wish you well..

Echo, do you ever actually read what I post? I said as long as it's not critical, you have a choice. If it's critical, you will be sent home. Try comprehending my post next time. Not trying to be a dick, but you are always breaking my balls. I've heard first hand stories of people being injured, and given the choice to either wait it out on base until you are healed, or go home and be healed. Either way, they had to start boot camp all over, or they could have quit all together. And why shouldn't I base what I know from what my recruiter told me? Who the **** are you to say that? My recruiter has been in the Marines for 10 years. I think he knows just as much, if not MORE than you.

Boot camp is easy according to the Sgt. in my recruiting station.

"Once you get used to being away from home you'll be fine."

Just remember the DI's are trying to mess with you. Don't be phased, just do what you do and time will finish the rest.

I'm having a hard time with that percentage echo.

People do fail, but they fail themselves for the most part. Be honest about your past with your recruiter. That will eleiminate a lot of those who are ousted. You can get a waiver for most anything, not all, but most anything. Drugs are a main reason a person gets dropped. DId something stupid and right about when first phase is ending the drug tests come back and all of a sudden your good buddy is gone.

I was trying to help you by explaining why you weren't correct. Now, I will just come out and say it. You are wrong, and you need to watch your attitude. You do not have a choice, the decision is made for you by those with the ability to make such decisions. There are exceptions, some people are given the choice. However, most are not. I have been there, you have not. You are also wrong in saying that a recruit must start training all over again if they are injured. You resume training where you left off, once you are healed and capable of training.

You have heard some things, and you are right in part. But, you posted and managed to pass on only partial truth. Then, when corrected, you decided to show that you're nothing more than a punk ass kid with a bad attitude. I hope you're proud of yourself, it takes a big man to talk when hidden behind a screen name on the internet.

Rocknroll I can guarantee you that echo is correct here. I got dropped after first phase for two sprained ankles. I spent 2 weeks in MRP and 2 weeks in PCP. I went to a new platoon after that which was just starting 2nd phase.

rktect, I have a problem with the percentage as well. In my initial platoon of about 71, they graduated in the 60s I believe. The platoon I graduated with had a rash of stress fractures, followed by several cases of celulitis (sp?). There were three or four sent to the Special Training Platoon during the last couple of weeks of training, two for fighting with one another (and getting cause by the series O) and one for refusing to follow the orders of a DI. My point, in some cases, people don't make it. There are a ton of reasons why. Some are injured, some just quit on themselves, some cannot meet the physical requirements, and some test positive for drugs on the initial screening. We ended up with a very small company, as all the platoon lost many recruits. Other companies would graduate huge platoons with few drops. Sadly, while in MRP I was able to see many companies graduate, some large and others small.

PFT, I wouldn't say it is easy, and just getting used to being away from home. It is getting used to the demands of the DIs and the way your life is at that time. By the end of boot camp, it doesn't seem that difficult for most recruits, even though the demands are greater than in the beginning. However, they don't call it "earning the title" for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    rktect, I have a problem with the percentage as well. In my initial platoon of about 71, they graduated in the 60s I believe. The platoon I graduated with had a rash of stress fractures, followed by several cases of celulitis (sp?). There were three or four sent to the Special Training Platoon during the last couple of weeks of training, two for fighting with one another (and getting cause by the series O) and one for refusing to follow the orders of a DI. My point, in some cases, people don't make it. There are a ton of reasons why. Some are injured, some just quit on themselves, some cannot meet the physical requirements, and some test positive for drugs on the initial screening. We ended up with a very small company, as all the platoon lost many recruits. Other companies would graduate huge platoons with few drops. Sadly, while in MRP I was able to see many companies graduate, some large and others small.
    This makes a bit more sense. I started in 3025 with about 70 recruits. I went to a new platoon 3037 that only had about 38 recruits. I think they just started smaller then my original platoon.

Thread Information