Motivation Check?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Motivation Check?

Hey everyone!

Well, it is under the three month mark for me before I go to boot camp, I need to keep my motivation up, switch things up a bit, I don't know, it seems school is dragging longer as the day gets closer! What are some things I can do to keep that moto up and avoid Pooleeitis as much as possible?

Also to keep this in the same thread, what can I do once at boot camp to keep motivated, and keep going even when I feel those mind games getting to me?

Quote Originally Posted by bekster2008 View Post
    Hey everyone!

Well, it is under the three month mark for me before I go to boot camp, I need to keep my motivation up, switch things up a bit, I don't know, it seems school is dragging longer as the day gets closer! What are some things I can do to keep that moto up and avoid Pooleeitis as much as possible?

Also to keep this in the same thread, what can I do once at boot camp to keep motivated, and keep going even when I feel those mind games getting to me?
    Keep the motivation up by remember how much closer you will be to putting Poolee behind you and earning the title Marine.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Look at your oath of enlistment. Asks your friends if they have one. Rinse/Repeat.

Credits
    Savings
    I just study/PT or go to the recruiting office

Quote Originally Posted by Books View Post
    Look at your oath of enlistment. Asks your friends if they have one. Rinse/Repeat.
    Thats good .....Real Good !

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Hey everyone!

I haven't been waiting half as long as you have (I'm going to assume you swore in long before 20090304), but I do feel that the following helps me (because I'm in college and my days were already starting to drag long before I even considered enlisting).

-Do PT whenever you get bored (assuming you are in a place where you can do PT). It's really helps me kill time.

-Take time to work out stress.
    This might sound rude at first, but, really, as a poolee you don't need to be tearing hair out about this and that. Scream, punch a pillow, do what you gotta do. Time goes a lot faster if you aren't wound up tight. This one is a case where I have to learn to follow my own advice.

-Do your best at everything and get work done ahead of time
    The first part is self explanatory, though the second part is really just so you aren't wound up tight about having papers to do the night before they're do.

As far as Boot Camp advice goes, I have no actual experience and can only give a common sense suggestion:
    No matter how tired you are of the Drill Instructor ripping you to shreds because of 'that' recruit or because you are 'that' recruit, fight on. It's hard and people want to quit at times, but it's the ones that ignore that urge that earn the title. No one wants to go to Parris Island (or MCRDSD) and come home anything but a Marine.

I'm sorry if my advice isn't helpful, but I'm young and I ain't got much sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt0231
    Keep the motivation up by remember how much closer you will be to putting Poolee behind you and earning the title Marine.

Thats all I do honestly... may sound cheesey but I just think about graduation day. How proud I will be, how proud my family will be... this may sound even cheesier, but go on youtube and watch peoples grad vid... very motivating for me.

lol find your self a stress reliever...lots of men find their own ways...im sure u can figure something out.....it also will help clear your mind for a while at least....and for the PT part you can PT any time of day any where you want.... running is an example you can run in the dirt or on grass or on the pavement....pullups...if you cant find a pukk up bar any where..theres monkey bars or even tree branch.....pushups, crunches.....train...train...train...as for as keeping your motivation up, if this is really what you want that shoudlnt be an issue, your desire to earn the title should be enough motivation you jsut need to focus on clearing your mind and relieving stress more from the other parts of your life at the moment.....

Quote Originally Posted by jpg8402 View Post
    Thats all I do honestly... may sound cheesey but I just think about graduation day. How proud I will be, how proud my family will be... this may sound even cheesier, but go on youtube and watch peoples grad vid... very motivating for me.

........you have no clue how motivating and emotional that day is or that ceremony is until YOU are the one standing on that Parade Deck......you wont see a dry eye out in the stands, and most on the Parade deck either

Quote Originally Posted by immaproshooter View Post
    ........you have no clue how motivating and emotional that day is or that ceremony is until YOU are the one standing on that Parade Deck......you wont see a dry eye out in the stands, and most on the Parade deck either

LCpl you are making me hate my recovering shoulder even more!

well once you recover you will get your chance to attempt to earn the title, and it will all o been worth it if you find yourself on graduation day

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hey everyone!

To start with I am not a young fellow, that just enlisted, nope that was 40 years ago. But as a 17 YO kid from the hills of Tennessee that had only been to Nashville one time in his live (seen the big city), I found it very motivational to think of the day I graduated and got to wear the Tropical uniform with the Barracks Cover, all shined up with spit and polish.

I also found time to thank God for the raise in pay I got with this new job. The civillian world paid $1.25 per hour (minimum wage) in those days and really considering the benefits I got I was making more in the Corps than I was at home ($123.30 gross per month), of course this was 1969.

The point is, motivation comes from within! All the Drill Instructors, or anyone else, can do is throw it out there....you have to be able to catch it and hold on to it. As the old saying goes "you can lead a mule to water, but you can't make him drink"!

You seem to have what it takes poolee, SELF MOTIVATION! That's rare thing in this old world today. That type of motovation can not be made smaller if you really want the end result.

IF, and I say IF, you make it thru boot camp and become a Marine....two years from now, you will think the time flew by!

My advise.....find a poolee, or two, that can pal up with you and keep each other motivated! Help that wannabee pass that ASVAB, do something for your recruiter! I know he'll appreciate it and the wannabees will as well.

That's my 2 cents,

Dave

Credits
    Savings
    bekster2008,

Once you get to Boot, you won't have too much time to think about whether or not you're motivated. You'll be worried about getting through each day, and a good many of them you'll want to quit and wish you had never set foot there.

Start now and set some long term goals. To reach the bigger goals, such as completing Boot and Earning THE Title, set some smaller goals such as knocking off a few minutes on your run time, increasing your PT scores and your overall fitness, and as Cpl davblay suggested, maybe hook up with someone who has some similar goals to train with.

Positive Mental Attitude is contagious. Stay away from negativity. Keep focused on your goals, and as you acheive your smaller goals you may find that the motivation within you will grow and keep you pushing towards your bigger goals - satisfaction is a great motivator. A round without a target is wasted, so find a way to reach your destination, and don't let anything stop you. Never quit. Nothing good is easy.

My motivation comes from knowing that in 78 days I will be leaving a boring-ass life behind and becoming a Marine, the only thing I want in life besides a 1985 Chevy Pick-up Truck as of right now.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Motivation is from within!

You have to motivate yourself!

You can read or see motivating pictures,stories or real life acts.....but,unless you pull and hone the motivation from within you are doing yourself a disservice!

A drill instructor will give you the motivation that you need to make your boot camp quest and experience memorable......however it is up to YOU to reach down and grab the motivation by the horn and balls and keep the ride going for your duration in the Marine Corps and life!

Good luck!

Thread Information