Becoming a Reserve or Full-time Marine?
Create Post
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Becoming a Reserve or Full-time Marine?

I'm looking to join the Marines, but I have a few questions about the reserves first.

1. If I become a reserve and decide I want to become a Full-Time Marine, do I have to finish the reserve time first or am I able to just switch right over?
    2. Would I be able to travel at all being a reserve?
    3. Is it really only 2 days a month?
    4. Where can I find the list of jobs for female Marines? I know we can't do infantry, but what else is there to offer that’s hands on and doesn't involve working behind a desk?

That’s it for now. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1. You can always apply to change to active duty, but it won't always be approved, and you may have to change to a new MOS to do it.
    2. By travel, I assume you mean as a Marine. You may, or you may not. Then again, some active duty Marines don't go anywhere either. I would assume you would go somewhere new during your 2 week training period. The one summer I was in the reserve we went to CAX in 29 Palms (Of course, I had been at CAX many times before, so just more desert time)
    3. We usually had to show up Friday night, so 2.5 days would be more true.
    4. I am not sure, but try usmilitary.about.com

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    1- Up until you finish boot camp, it's EXTREMELY easy to go active. If you decide, during the course of recruit training or before you ship that you want to go active duty, they'll hook you up no problem- but there's no going back from that. Once you've been to MCT and have gotten a school seat for MOS school, it's harder to change your contract because of the quotas. Once you check into your reserve unit, there are a number of ways to get some active duty time, such as ADSW, Active Reserve, volunteering for deployment, etc.

2- As far as your travel goes in the civilian world, you can do whatever you want, so long as you show up to drill. However, international travel to certain countries can jeopardize your security clearance, just depending on what the state department thinks.

3- Drill can go anywhere from 2-5 days a month, depending on your MOS, the training schedule, and the needs of the unit. When we were on a string of field exercises, I was drilling 4 days a month for 4 days straight. However, after 48 drills (24 days) plus 1 AT in a given fiscal year (1 October to 30 September), you're officially "drilled out" and are considered "non-obligated" for the rest of the year, so on paper, it balances out. Me, I just kept going anyway.

4- Females are prohibited from serving in MOSes considered to be "Combat Arms." This includes infantry, artillery, armor, recon, and any other MOS whose primary duty is combat in a forward area. However, just about anything else is open- and believe me, there's PLENTY of trigger time to be had, if that's your concern. Military Police is one that's open to females, and they're kicking down doors with the males. Hell, a bunch of comm bubbas from my unit ended up being MPs on their last deployment. "Every Marine a Rifleman" isn't just an empty phrase. You can find something to interest you, and usmilitary.about.com is a good place to start.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you very much! So what I'm guessing I should do is join as a reserve and if I really like it which I think I will then I will look into going active.

If you join Full-Time active duty. What happens with your monthly bills? Was this an easy transition to make?

No its not just 2 days month, You can be called on from a thursday to sunday, but for the most part you will drill Friday evening 1/2 day, and sat-sun.

Traveling... You will only travel during your AT (anual training)...My unit has gone to Africa, Israel, and we have one coming up to Ukraine.....

Nothing happens to your bills, you have to pay them regardless of your status in the military. Maybe things have changed, but when I went to boot camp there were several recruits that wanted to change from reserve to active duty. Every one of them was told no, that they were filling a quota at their reserve unit, and they would report back there.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Remember going into the Reserve component willrestrict you to MOS's (jobs) that only your unit has available. Augmenting to active duty later can be a pain. The better question is why would you consider joining the Reserve component over active duty. One last comment, Part-time Marine, Part-time benefits and opportunities.

The transition should be pretty easy when it comes to your bills... All you should have to is talk to your creditors and let them know that your going to be going to Recruit Training for three months. Most creditors will add those three payments to the end of what ever contract or monthly bills you may have. Also under the Service Member Civil Relief Act you may get a decrease in your interest on your payments. Your recruiter should have you fill this out and explain to you what this act will help you with. If you have any question you can contact me. I am currently a Career Recruiter out of Wichita Kansas.

Semper Fi
    GySgt Rowley NCOIC RSS Wichita North
    (316)943-8132

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefUSMC
    Also under the Service Member Civil Relief Act you may get a decrease in your interest on your payments.

Great point Gunny! I don't remember this being posted here before. I know I had forgotten all about it. But, I am sure it is something that more than one young person out there could use, and that may help them a great deal.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all for your replys. I wouldn't be joinging the Marines for the benifits or pay, this is just something I've always wanted to do. I have time to fully consider both active duty and reserves so I will consider all possibilites first... Thanks again.

The United States Marine Corps, like with all service branches, offers numerous benefits to its service members in compensation for the duties and responsibilities carried out. Much of the benefits are standardized, regardless of whether or not a service member is in active or reserve status. Benefits such as education and housing are standardized amongst all service branches.

Basic Benefits
    # All Marines are given a salary commensurate with rank and performance, the same as all other armed forces. Stipends are given for food, housing and uniform, as well as adjustments for the local area's cost of living.

Educational Benefits
    # The Montgomery GI bill provides educational benefits to reservists who have served for six or more years. The Montgomery GI Bill Selected Reserve Enhanced Educational Benefits (MGIB-SR Kicker) provides an additional $350, and is available for a maximum of 36 months of full-time academic pursuit. The Marine Corps Institute also provides distance learning for service members, with accredited college credit upon completion for most courses.
    Housing
    # Marines are offered free on-base housing. Housing allowances are offered to those that opt to live off-base. Additionally, the Veterans Administration offers housing loans both during and after service.
    Insurance
    # The Marine reservist program offers many low-cost insurance policies. They include basic health (Continued Health Care Benefit Program), dental (Tricare Selected Reserve Dental Program) and various life insurances, such as the Servicemen's Group Life Insurance and Veterans' Group Life Insurance policies.
    Retirement
    # Reservists who have completed twenty years of service qualify for retirement, and are eligible for retirement pay starting at age 60. They also qualify for twenty-four commissary visits per calendar year.

This thread is 4 years old. Everyone in this thread probably EAS'd already.

Thread Information