Canadian wanting to be a Marine
Create Post

Exclamation Canadian wanting to be a Marine

Yes, I know there are lots of topic's on here about Canadian's wanting to be Marine's, but i guess that's just because you guys are so damn cool.

Anyway's, I live in Canada, and ever since a kid, seeing the Marine's on TV made me want to become one myself. And there lie's the problem. Im Canadian.

I've heard this and that, but the bottom line... Do I need a green card or citizenship to join the Marine's? I know in Vietnam they used to take Canadian's all the time, as my Dad was going to join (but never did). I'm really really hoping I can join without my green card, because as a Canadian citizen I am not eligible for a green card.

Thanks all,
    Russ

Shrike
    Guest Free Member
    Hi, I'm russian and also want to join, so I know almost everething about rules of enlistment for non-citizens . In short words you must have green card or permanent resident visa, number of social security and valid home adress in US. Most difficult is getting GC of course.

Last edited by jinelson; 05-29-06 at 02:09 AM.

Hi Russ,

There are several posts made my Canadians that wish to be United States Marines. I'd suggest looking through those posts and replies. There's lots of valuable information there.

Also, do a quick Google search and see what you find. I got this without looking too hard:
    July 31, 2004

Hello, my name is Bryan Palma.I am 18 years old and graduated from post secondary school.I am a Canadian citizen who is looking to become part of the U.S. Marine Corp.I wanted to know if i am able to enlist into the U.S. Marine Corp without being an American citizen. If someone could please get back to me on this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. Also, could you please send me a telephone number for a recruiting centre in order to discuss this issue with a representative.

Thank you for your consideration and hope to hear from you soon.
    Bryan Palma

Bryan Palma - Canada

Answer
    You must first establish residency in the U.S., which means moving and getting a U.S. address. You can still remain a citizen of Canada.

Check the Marines website at http://www.marines.com. You can Request more Information or Contact a Recruiter from the site.

Best wishes in your military career.
    (source: http://www.school-for-champions.com/...?topic=Marines)

Good luck.

Jess

I see, but for me to get a U.S. Residency I must have my Green Card correct?

I have alot of friend's and some second cousin's/great aunt's down there, will this help me in anyway?

Russ,

I don't deal with resident aliens and the like for a living. I'm also not a recruiter. I don't really know. I would imagine that it would be easier to legally become a resident of the US with family already in the nation (and it would be easier to get an address, assuming you're on good terms with your extended family and they'd take you in for a short time) but I don't really know. There are several threads here that were created by Canadians wishing to become Marines with a wealth of information, there's the internet, and there's always 1-800-MARINES. Have you already thoroughly checked out www.usmilitary.about.com ?

Jess

I got the phone number to a recruiter in Montana, but no one was there. I guess I will have to phone later. What normally the working hours down there for the recruiters? Because the consolute up here closes at 12 P.M.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Russ256,today is Memorial Day here in the states. A day that is taken to honor our countries fallen heroes and warriors.

The recruiters in the Montana area are off for this holiday and are probably participating in ceremonies at the local cemetery or participating in parades to honor our nations fallen. They probably have a 72-96 hour pass and after the ceremonies are lifting a few brews and having picnics with their families and friends to celebrate this day.

You should be able to find someone in the office to answer some of your questions around 0800 tomorrow .

Good luck!

Semper-Fi! "Never Forget" Chuck Hall

Thanks alot, and I hope I don't have to go through the Green Card mambo jumbo. Hope to see you guys later as a Marine.

Thread Information