Best MOS Option? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Wait for the 03 MOS. Every other MOS is to support the Infantry. If you want to be a grunt you will be less than satisfied with anything else. Once you become a grunt you will wish you picked the other MOS

Well I know what your saying about slots being full, slots for 03 were full here in Iowa too, but one thing the recruiter said was that even if a slot didn't open up before my ship date, they would pull numbers off of the next rotation to get me into 03. Although I'm not going into 03 anymore, I decided to go into Intel instead, I would suggest talking to your recruiter and telling him that you won't leave for boot until you have a guarenteed slot with 03 if thats what you really want. If I were you though I'd research as much as possible because the next four years of your life depend on which MOS you choose. Like I said, after all the research I did I chose Intel. So play all the cards you've got and good luck...if you wanna chat sometime hit me up on msn or aim, you can find my sn's in my profile...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    For every grunt, there are another 13 Marines in support roles to keep him supplied, fed, paid and trained. Every job in the Marine Corps is designed to support the Marine rifleman, therefore every job in the Corps is important.

Quote Originally Posted by Sixguns
    For every grunt, there are another 13 Marines in support roles to keep him supplied, fed, paid and trained. Every job in the Marine Corps is designed to support the Marine rifleman, therefore every job in the Corps is important.
    true but not every job is infantry. I would echo off of all the other advice concerning going where you want. Every Marine wants to shoot and no one on avg does that more than 03s. Especially not 0311s and 0331s... Choose wisely.

All your body parts attached...well geuss what you can lose them even if your not in infantry(dont argue about this I know this first hand...no pun intended...when my hand went into a table saw). I hate it when everyone says infantry is the worst thing in the world...just because you dont want to go infantry(tallbot) doesnt mean that its a "good problem" when someone doesnt get it. Im no Marine yet but if i got denied infantry i would be pretty ****ed...not because i think im some all knowing bada$$, but because thats what i want to do. So please shut your mouth, dont dog on an MOS...they all hold danger they all have thier disadvantages and advantages.

hmmm, when I read Tallboots post, I thought he was alluding to the fact that if 03 is full, then the USMC is meeting it's recruiting mission and that it's a "good problem."

Might be a glass is half full/empty thing, though. I wouldn't have a problem waiting for my MOS to come available, especially if it was because the rest of the MC is accomplishing it's mission, so I saw it as a positive comment.

*shrug*

I would have to disagree with you...if you look at the fact that tallbot always agrees with what the majority of people say in his posts and the other people in this post were looking down on infantry, and if you also put his post into context with what was already said you would see that tallbot lacks a pair and doesnt like infantry.

---P.S. Covey if he has already signed the papers he can not just simply say he wont go to boot till he gets his MOS...thats a breech in the contract he signed (thats saying he did,which is what it sounds like)

Ah, okay. Back to lurking, then.

can anyone really fille me in on mp and what is it the do kinda over a period of time

Quote Originally Posted by DHernandez
    can anyone really fille me in on mp and what is it the do kinda over a period of time
    Sure.
    A. Read the forum rules for poolees. They are the stickeys at the top of this part of the forum.
    B. FILL IN YOUR PROFILE.
    C. MP's have been discussed quite a bit here. Try using the search function or ask specific questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    Try EOD - that's another MOS that will keep you on your toes.

IYAOYAS!
    With all due respect ma'am, you can't enlist for EOD.

the marine corps work on a physical year so all the jobs will open in october. you can stay in the delayed entry program for 365 days before you got to recruit training so wait till you get what you want. and are you sure infantry is full?

0311 (UH), 0321 (UZ), I like the best. All though I have a contract for Recon it doesn't mean I will get it, but if not being a doorkicker is sweet too. But as a Corporal who's MOS is a scout sniper told me "One foot in front of the other" first focus on becoming a Marine and then worry about Recon. Also I was on a waiting list for the UZ position. The reason it opened up was because a guy was color blind and there for couldn't progress into the MOS. I would say pick an alternative MOS and have your recruiter contact you if a slot opens up for your "dream" MOS. He would be more than willing to get you a new contract I am sure.

Quote Originally Posted by onux16
    allen, I'm not a Marine, but I've been in your spot.

In my 6 months spent in DEP, I've been through 3 solid choices of MOS's until I chose one I liked/was able to get. Since Aviation Mech was full, I had to do something else. So I drew up a list of things I liked, traits that reflect who I am, what are things I do now, etc. Then I arranged them into "priorities" -- things that were more important to me than others. I eventually came up with Scout Sniper, Musician, and Data Comm.***

There's good news here. You can wait it out and see if a position opens. Sometimes people choose a different MOS or drop out of DEP, so new opportunities become available. That's how I got my current MOS (Crew Chief), which is actually an unspecialized mechanic among other skills. Some guys here even say wait 4 months for an opening. If you have that much time before shipping, then I'd suppose waiting out is a good option. You can even ask your recruiter if your ship date can be set for another time. Where's the harm in it?

Worst case scenario is to voluntarily leave DEP and sign up again. This one recruit I met decided to leave for family reasons, but my recruiter was telling some of his poolees who know him that he could always sign back up. Talk to your recruiter about it if infantry is what you really want, and see what loops through the system you can make.

***for a list and brief description of all MOS's and specialities, check out About.com
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlis...marinejobs.htm
    If you are not a Marine why are you using the Private Rank Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by rosamond
    the marine corps work on a physical year so all the jobs will open in october. you can stay in the delayed entry program for 365 days before you got to recruit training so wait till you get what you want. and are you sure infantry is full?
    Please fill out your profile and read the rules, you will fair better here when you do, thanks. Marine and Corps does not get lowercased.

Thread Information