Best MOS Option?
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question Best MOS Option?

Of course I wanted 0300 Infantry. Unfortunately, my recruiter told it is currently full. I would like to pursue something similar. A few marines told me to go for UJ - Chemical, Biological, and Chemical Defense. Any suggestions would be great.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    03 is full?!?! Well ain't that a kick in the butt!

Last edited by jinelson; 05-28-06 at 03:44 PM.

If you really want to be an 03, tell your recruiter that you are waiting. New seats will open up on Oct. 1. There is no "best MOS" because people's goals are different. You have to pick for yourself.

When 03 is full thats a good problem.

Tallboot, I know of several Marines that ended up in other MOSs because 03 was full. It isn't that unusual at all.

Credits
    Savings
    So, this is common place? Is it national or only regional?

Brooklyn, I don't know if a current lack of slots is for on RS, or if it is a nationwide thing. Ask your recruiter, he will know if there are spots available, he will know. One way or another, it will open up again in four months.

allen, I'm not a Marine, but I've been in your spot.

In my 6 months spent in DEP, I've been through 3 solid choices of MOS's until I chose one I liked/was able to get. Since Aviation Mech was full, I had to do something else. So I drew up a list of things I liked, traits that reflect who I am, what are things I do now, etc. Then I arranged them into "priorities" -- things that were more important to me than others. I eventually came up with Scout Sniper, Musician, and Data Comm.***

There's good news here. You can wait it out and see if a position opens. Sometimes people choose a different MOS or drop out of DEP, so new opportunities become available. That's how I got my current MOS (Crew Chief), which is actually an unspecialized mechanic among other skills. Some guys here even say wait 4 months for an opening. If you have that much time before shipping, then I'd suppose waiting out is a good option. You can even ask your recruiter if your ship date can be set for another time. Where's the harm in it?

Worst case scenario is to voluntarily leave DEP and sign up again. This one recruit I met decided to leave for family reasons, but my recruiter was telling some of his poolees who know him that he could always sign back up. Talk to your recruiter about it if infantry is what you really want, and see what loops through the system you can make.

***for a list and brief description of all MOS's and specialities, check out About.com
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlis...marinejobs.htm

All Marines are Basic 0300.

You have to make the choice of whether you want to live in a hole and eat a lot of MRE's or live in a tent and eat in a Mess Hall and get to shower at least three time a week. Being in the rear with the gear ain't all that bad. You probably won't come back with a chest full of ribbons, but at least you have a very good chance of coming back with all your body parts attached.

The choice is up to you.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine
    but at least you have a very good chance of coming back with all your body parts attached.

The choice is up to you.
    Attached body parts is a definate plus.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    When i first sat down with my recruiter he told me all the 0300s slots were full. I believe it is just a regional thing though, because he made some phone calls or something and got me a slot from Chicago. I think thats where it was anyway.

Dog Handler

So you want to be a Grunt ? Try being a Dog Handler,there's a job that will impress you ! And most everyone else.Dog handlers tread where most people fear to tread,out front,often alone...Now I'm not busting on other MOS's,I'm just saying that if you have the fortitude............try it.

The Recruiter said?

There are a lot of good recruiters out there. But, some will "exaggerate" certain facts to get you to take another MOS. It's YOUR enlistment, YOUR career, and YOUR life. Make sure you get the facts.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Try EOD - that's another MOS that will keep you on your toes.

IYAOYAS!

I'm about to go to MEPS to DEP in as a field artillery cannoneer. It sounds like a pretty enjoyable job to me, and it will at least put you near, if not in, the action. Besides, from what I hear, the grunts will love you for it.

Thread Information