Rvn Puc - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rvn Puc

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    The Republic of Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation was awarded by the Vietnamese government to all personnel in the Military Assistance Advisory Group, Indo-China,[1] during August and September 1954. The emblem consists of three vertical red stripes on a golden yellow background, in a gold frame.

The decoration was also awarded throughout the Vietnam War to certain units of the U.S. military deemed to have performed exceptional service to Vietnam. The Republic of Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation is considered obsolete since the bestowing authority, the government of South Vietnam, no longer exists

Quote Originally Posted by mardet65 View Post
    Can anyone enlighten me regarding the award of the Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation during the Vietnam War? I've yet to locate any definitive information regarding what criteria was considered to determine how the award was issued. A fellow member of the VFW (Army) wearing the ribbon stated " because we received the US Army PUC, we got the RVN PUC to". Does this sound right? If you read the official criteria under the Department of Hearldry (US ARMY) the RVN PUC was issued to american troops only in the middle 1950's. What's the real scoop?
    Did any US units recieve the RVN PUC during the war?

Riven, I'm sorry to have to make a minor correction, but your 2nd paragraph is incorrect. The RVN PUC was never again awarded after the first time to the MAAG unit. It's a very common misconception that even shows up in some 'official' type stuff, but the awards manual clearly states the only award ever given was to the MAAG. Lots of folks get it confused and TV/Movies don't help, you see just about every single actor in a 'dress' uniform from that time period (even extending into today) wearing that particular ribbon.

(The cite in Wikipedia is incorrect).

Direct from the Awards manual:

3. Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation
    a. Authorization. Awarded by the President of the Republic of Vietnam, and approved by SECNAV for wear by eligible U.S. Navy personnel; no Marine Corps personnel are eligible for this award.

b. Eligibility Requirements.

Authorized for wear by personnel who served with certain units cited by the President of the Republic of Vietnam for humanitarian assistance during August and September 1954 in the evacuation of civilians from North and Central Vietnam.

I was never questioning the RVN PUC. My question was in reference to the Navy PUC which was auth, apparently by some unknowing CG at the time. I think Gen S was in command of Pendleton at the time when we were advised that the 1st MarDiv was auth to wear the Navy PUC. This information came from our CO and at that time was in writing. Apparently now it is no longer in writing. I, at my age and not being in uniform, would not be wearing the ribbon anyway so there is no problem, is was only a query. The time period was sometime between 1957-58. I know I was not the only one that was duped by this and of the several hundred other Marines I observed wearing the ribbon I do not feel that I was the butt of a hoax.

Ah, got it.

Navy/Marine PUC would only be authorized for valor in combat, nothing else. For your time period, none were awarded. Last one was during Korea....and after that, Vietnam. Sorry.

Might have been a lesser award, such as the NUC (Navy Unit Commendation).

Well we rode that horse into the ground. I was given the ribbon by Top Sgt Brown and wore it until my release from active duty. Then I took it off and it is in a box collecting dust never more to see my chest so none to worry. If I transgressed in the 50's it is a little late. And the ribbon given me by First Sgt Brown is the one shown on the charts as the Navy PUC, perhaps with his 20 plus years he got it wrong also. I am going to put my horse out to pasture now I joined at 17 and am now 72 so I will let this one rest. But I thank you all for your interest and response. I have read the manual and agree with you as to the print as to what was auth and the periods it was done. Just was confused that perhaps there may have been a brief period that I did not find. Semper Fi

Award updates

I have been out now for about 37 yrs. After reading some of the threads regarding awards, my curiosity woke up. The different units I was with were awarded an NUC and MUC, but they are not on my DD214. Who do you write to for updates.

You'll need to apply to have your DD-214 corrected, in which they'll issue you a DD-215, doing that. Somewhere in one of the threads in this section is a 'how to' on how to do just that....try searching this section, if you don't come up with anything drop me a PM and I'll see if I can find it.

Thread Information