Rvn Puc
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rvn Puc

Registered User Free Member mardet65's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Question Rvn Puc

Can anyone enlighten me regarding the award of the Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation during the Vietnam War? I've yet to locate any definitive information regarding what criteria was considered to determine how the award was issued. A fellow member of the VFW (Army) wearing the ribbon stated " because we received the US Army PUC, we got the RVN PUC to". Does this sound right? If you read the official criteria under the Department of Hearldry (US ARMY) the RVN PUC was issued to american troops only in the middle 1950's. What's the real scoop?
    Did any US units recieve the RVN PUC during the war?

According to the Manual of Military Decorations and Awards (DoD 1348.33-M), the Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation was awarded for humanitarian assistance given during the August-September 1954 evacuation of civilians from North and Central Vietnam.

mardet65

I've wondered the same thing. Sparrowhawk wears one with his decorations and I was wondering if I might qualify cause he was in the same Battalion as myself during the same time period. I'll bet that he's got your answer.

From what I remember I believe Kegler300 is correct. It was issued in the 50's. In 1956 or early 1957, all members of the 1st Marine Div were authorized to wear the Navy PUC. They changed it to where you had to be with the unit in combat for the time period it was awarded.

Happy Holidays to all of you,

Dick Lavello

Credits
    Savings
    So far, the general consensus seems to be that the RVN PUC as regulations state, was only issued during the middle 1950's. That was my contention also...but, I've seen a lot of vietnam vets wearing the ribbon (Marine & Army). Anybody out there know if the RVN PUC was awarded during the vietnam war???

From the 7th marine web sight

HONORS***

Presidential Unit Citation Streamer with One Silver and Four Bronze Stars

Solomon Islands, 18 September - 9 December 1942
    Peleliu, Ngesebus, 15-29 September 1944
    Okinawa 1 April - 21 June 1945

Korea, 21 September - 11 October 1950
    Korea, 27 November - 11 Decenber 1950
    Korea, 21 - 25 Aprirl, 16 May - 30 June, 11-25 September 1951
    Vietnam
    14 August 1965- 28 March 1966
    1 April 1966 - 15 September 1967
    16 September 1967 - 31 October 1968

mardet65
    I also have been trying to find out for the last couple of years. I have read in various medal magazines that it was called the Friendship Medal and awarded for a couple of weeks in 1954. Also if your unit was awarded the P.U.C. ( U.S. type ) it would also rate the Vietnam P.U.C. Some unit websites also list the same info. I asked the same question at Ribbon Check on " " and got a lot of conflicting reports. I also have seen it worn by people that in no way were old enough to have been there in 1954. Did the Marine Corps forget to enter it into the book? I don't think so. I think if we did rate it, then Gen. Krulak and Gen. Jones would be wearing it. If you find out any more please let us know, as there are many of us here would like to know.

Credits
    Savings
    Ricko, thanks for the input... but we're trying to determine what units might rate the Republic of Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation not the american puc. I sure that's what you're refering to as you mention the battle streamer, and no streamer is included with the RVN PUC. If you can find out any info re: the RVN PUC, I'd appreciate it.

Ricko

You certianly rate the PUC, I sent for a copy of my records and they updated mine to include two bronze stars?

Never told me why, I guess it had to do with the amount of gooks we killed on Sundays and holy days of obligations..LOL

I've never received the paper work on why they were awarded.

I always thought it was cause Johnson's son-in-law Charles S. Robb was with our unit and they had to give him something to wear.

LOL

Cook

Credits
    Savings
    Ricko & Sparrowhawk:

You're muddying the waters here. Can you be more specific than just refering to the "PUC"?
    We're all aware some american units were awarded the american puc in Vietnam. What I'd like is some specific information and first hand input from anyone who's unit received th Republic of Vietnam PUC during the Vietnam War!!!
    I know from first hand experience that all Marines have an opinion. Come on guys let's hear them!

Credits
    Savings
    Ricko:
    Thanks for the webpage reference, for that is exactly what my question concerns. It's well documented that the RVN PUC was awarded during the 1950's only. Yet, I see many vietnam vets (Army & Marine) wearing the RVN PUC. Was this award ever actually issued to american units during the vietnam war????

Have you have ever seen a big color poster of medals, like the ones some of the recruiters have hanging on their office wall? I had one that I had framed and donated to my VFW Post. It was an older one but really nice. It was printed when the Navy Commendation Medal was higher than the Purple Heart Medal. The RVN PUC is on it. Not long ago I seen a newer one and noticed that it didn't have the WW II medals on it but still had the RVN PUC. It makes me wonder why would they keep the RVN PUC and drop all the WWII medals when the RVN PUC should be an obscure award if only awarded for a couple of week in 1954. After all, how many U.S. Troops where there in 1954? Couldn't be many. And when did Vietnam become Vietnam? Wasn't it still French Indo-China? In the book American Medals and Decorations by Evans Kerrigan it states " Originally created as the Vietnam Friendship Ribbon, it was recreated as the Presidential Unit Citation in 1961, and awarded to cited units under the same conditions required for the award of the Presidential Unit Citation of the United States".

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks JR, I'm aware of everything you stated and I think you'll agree with me that the criteria as described is ambiguous at best. What I can't understand, is that if this ribbon was awarded during the Vietnam War there must have been thousands of vetrens cited (it is a unit citation after all), you would think someone would be able to speciffically state how their unit received the award and under what conditions?
    And, If as you say it was issued under the same conditions as the US PUC, why is it so difficult to get a definitive answer on this? Anyway, thanks for the input.

I guess I will go out on a limb. I am saying it(RVNPUC) was not issued to any Marine combat units in the 60's or 70's. When I was on active duty during this period I kept waiting for it to be awarded like Cival Action and Cross of Gallantry unit citations.

A lot of you "Warriors" probley rate more than you have on your DD 214's. As a lot of awards came out after you did your 2 or 3 years. You will have to check on this. A lot of SRB's were not kept up to date and some of your "Operations" were not entered. This happened to the members of my plt in 1966.

Happy Holidays to you and your Families,

Dick Lavello

Thread Information