Questions On A Uniform
Create Post

Questions On A Uniform

I am trying to find out if a uniform I last wore on Nov 11,1973 is still available.
    It is a formal white uniform with gold accessories. The one I wore 38 years ago is no longer any good. I had it cleaned and put it in a vacuum sealed bag after the ball and when I went to check it out it had turned yellow and the gold accessories are no longer gold. Sgt Grit has the accessories but not the uniform. I was wondering if anyone here knows if this uniform is still available and if so where might I get one. Also if it is still legal to wear it to the Marine Corps Ball. I have been invited by the local reservists to attend the Ball in Nov. Any help will be appreciated.

Credits
    Savings
    Maybe stupid question
    Will cleaning restore it ?

I think you are looking for the white "mess dress" jacket. I'm not sure if this is authorized any longer--since the officers did away with their white uniform in 2000. If anyone has them, I would try calling "The Marine Shop" in Quantico. They will also be able to tell you if they are still authorized.

As far as wearing it to the ball, I would recommend the similar blue evening jacket. Generally, the white mess jacket was worn in the summer months.

No, they are no longer authorized for wear I'm afraid. And that is a typical thing that happens to those, I've got several boxes of officer and enlisted 'White dress' (Although White Mess dress are VERY hard to find) and most, if not all, have those yellow stains or spots on them. Some of that is from cig smoke, others are just the starch turning with age.

If you think about it, though, since many of these 'new' Marines have never seen one, post up some pics!

Thread Information