Rvn Puc - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rvn Puc

Registered User Free Member mardet65's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Originally posted by Amtracs
    I guess I will go out on a limb. I am saying it(RVNPUC) was not issued to any Marine combat units in the 60's or 70's. When I was on active duty during this period I kept waiting for it to be awarded like Cival Action and Cross of Gallantry unit citations.

A lot of you "Warriors" probley rate more than you have on your DD 214's. As a lot of awards came out after you did your 2 or 3 years. You will have to check on this. A lot of SRB's were not kept up to date and some of your "Operations" were not entered. This happened to the members of my plt in 1966.

Happy Holidays to you and your Families,

Dick Lavello
    Thanks Amtrac!
    I, like you am reluctant to say something I'm not 100% sure of. However, it looks like you might be right, otherwise we'd be jumped on by all those vets who received the RVN PUC. My personal contention is "wear your ribbons and medals proudly whenever you can! But wear only the ones you earned and wear them correctly". It galls me to see anyone loadup their chest with awards they don't deserve. Anyone who served in Vietnam in any capacity should be proud of the awards they legitimately earned. There's no need to emblish. Be honest about your exploits and awards, you'll feel better about yourself and you'll never be embarrassed by someone in the know.

That was very well stated! Many vets I know don't display the awards earned. A true Vet would be ashamed to wear an unearned award because you are spitting on the fellow Vets that truly earned these award!! Yet, I beg all fellow Vets to learn ALL awards they earned to create a profile for future generations. This helps to mold young patriots who see these medals and hear about family exploits!!

This thread really belongs in the 'uniforms and awards' section, where I'm going to ask that it be moved to.

My research indicates thus:

(From the most current Army awards manual:

9–22. Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation
    The Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation was awarded to all personnel assigned to the Military Assistance Advisory
    Group, Indo-China, during August and September 1954. )

The current Marine Corps Awards manual (which I have linked on the uniform site) lists NO USMC units being awarded the RVN PUC.

Thus, if I were asked, as a professional militaria historian, collector, and researcher, if an individual 'rated' the Republic of Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation, my answer, based on my research, above, would be: "Only if they were assigned to the 'Military Assistance Advisory Group, INDOCHINA, during a very short period, 2 months, Aug-Sept, 1954".

That individual likely would have worn this Shoulder sleeve insignia, (with tab, approved for local wear only):

There is no other documentation that I can discover at this time that shows any other awards of the RVN PUC.

The name of this award is something of a misnomer, since at the time, the country was known as Indo-China. However, the flag of the country at the time was identical to the ribbon. Likely this award was something approved by the first Gov't of the newly formed country of "South Vietnam" (formed in 1955).

It's easy to see, with the large number of awards available to US Military personnel 'in country', where confusion about this particular award could result.

Lastly, in sort of an answer to someone's early mention of getting '2 bronze stars'..to clarify this, I'm thinking that these are perhaps campaign stars for the RVN campaign Medal. These stars indicate participation in certain actions during certain time periods. In my opinion, they should be called 'campaign and service' stars, rather than 'bronze stars', because MANY veterans (and their families) who are not familiar with the awards system (and it's sometimes arcane terminology) many times are confused and believe the veteran was awarded a BRONZE STAR medal, rather than CAMPAIGN STARS.

Hopefully, this clarifies the issue for everyone.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

The Republic of Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation was awarded by the Vietnamese government to all personnel in the Military Assistance Advisory Group, Indo-China,[1] during August and September 1954. The emblem consists of three vertical red stripes on a golden yellow background, in a gold frame.
    The decoration was also awarded throughout the Vietnam War to certain units of the U.S. military deemed to have performed exceptional service to Vietnam. The Republic of Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation is considered obsolete since the bestowing authority, the government of South Vietnam, no longer exists.

Quote Originally Posted by mardet65 View Post
    Can anyone enlighten me regarding the award of the Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation during the Vietnam War? I've yet to locate any definitive information regarding what criteria was considered to determine how the award was issued. A fellow member of the VFW (Army) wearing the ribbon stated " because we received the US Army PUC, we got the RVN PUC to". Does this sound right? If you read the official criteria under the Department of Hearldry (US ARMY) the RVN PUC was issued to american troops only in the middle 1950's. What's the real scoop?
    Did any US units recieve the RVN PUC during the war?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    2. Criteria: The Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation was awarded by the Vietnamese government to all personnel assigned to the Military Assistance Advisory Group, Indo-China during August and September 1954. No device is worn on the ribbon.

Thanks Sarge for the info. One more question. How can a person earn a star for a CAR?? This sounds redundant! I thought there was only one baptism by fire!!!

The 7th Marines recieved the PUC in 1967 0n Opr Foster. Semper Fi.

PUC, yes. RVN PUC, no.

The star is worn on the CAR for successive participations in combat. For example, if you were in Gulf War 1, and earned a CAR, and then served in combat in any number of places since then (among them Afganistan, Iraq, Kosovo, Haiti, Somalia...) then you would have earned a second (or perhaps third) award.

Thanks,Sarge!!

PUC in the mid 50's

Quote Originally Posted by Amtracs View Post
    From what I remember I believe Kegler300 is correct. It was issued in the 50's. In 1956 or early 1957, all members of the 1st Marine Div were authorized to wear the Navy PUC. They changed it to where you had to be with the unit in combat for the time period it was awarded.

Happy Holidays to all of you,

Dick Lavello
    I was stationed at Camp Pendleton and at Del Mar assigned to the 1st Shore Party Bn 1st MarDiv between late 56 and early 58 when Shore Party was disbanded and replaced with 1st Force Service Regt. It was during that time when we were given the PUC and told we were now auth to wear it and the unit had been given the honor as were I believe all of the 1st MarDiv.
    ozawkie1ks

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!!

The Republic of Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation is considered obsolete since the bestowing authority, the government of South Vietnam, no longer exists.

Quote Originally Posted by mardet65 View Post
    Can anyone enlighten me regarding the award of the Vietnam Presidential Unit Citation during the Vietnam War? I've yet to locate any definitive information regarding what criteria was considered to determine how the award was issued. A fellow member of the VFW (Army) wearing the ribbon stated " because we received the US Army PUC, we got the RVN PUC to". Does this sound right? If you read the official criteria under the Department of Hearldry (US ARMY) the RVN PUC was issued to american troops only in the middle 1950's. What's the real scoop?
    Did any US units recieve the RVN PUC during the war?

OZ, I believe you were given bum scoop. Does your DD-214 show that award?

Simply put, the only folks who actually rate the award, per the awards manual, are those who were serving in the advisory capacity in a very, very short window period from 53-54. IF any Marines were there it was an extremely small number, likely as not, less than 10 if that.

I concur Amtracs. If present day Marines, i.e., Vietnam vets are wearing the RVN PUC, it is illegal. Don't push the envelope and think that you can wear it. You can't.

S/F
    Frank Lee

Originally Posted by Amtracs
    From what I remember I believe Kegler300 is correct. It was issued in the 50's. In 1956 or early 1957, all members of the 1st Marine Div were authorized to wear the Navy PUC. They changed it to where you had to be with the unit in combat for the time period it was awarded.

Happy Holidays to all of you,

Dick Lavello[QUOTE]

I don't believe he was referring to the RVN PUC but to the Navy PUC are they not different?

Yes, they are different. The Navy/Marine Corps PUC is an active ribbon today (I rec'vd one), but RVN PUC was a decoration issued to selected servicemen for very brief time in the 50's.

Thread Information